Author Topic: crash - ouch -  (Read 14432 times)

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
crash - ouch -
« on: May 04, 2009, 07:38:36 PM »
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Admin

Re: crash - ouch -
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 07:40:49 PM »
29-30 looks like his arm is hanging out the winder to...

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 07:42:29 PM »
rumor has it that he lost his hand.

here - let me help - you sell wrist stuff, and i know they have lots of them......

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

artie on edge

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 08:11:17 PM »
yeah it did didnt it?

I know its a right to drive how you want, BUT guys, helmets and wrist restraints or window nets... sooo cheap, sooo simple....

Are all cars fitted with decent harnesses? Are they always used? Scary stuff... I hope he is ok and didnt lose anything..

Admin

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 08:18:28 PM »
Some guys feel above all in there 100K+ cars, I mean for that much money they shouldnt get hurt right? Plus all the money they have in the bank, That means God will not hurt them, Isnt that the way it is?

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 08:32:38 PM »
yeah it did didnt it?

I know its a right to drive how you want, BUT guys, helmets and wrist restraints or window nets... sooo cheap, sooo simple....

Are all cars fitted with decent harnesses? Are they always used? Scary stuff... I hope he is ok and didnt lose anything..
To answer your question -you see very few people with helmets on in full size cars. IMO it's a no brainer to use ALL the safety gear including arm restraints unless you're just out putting around.  I think I'm going to start carrying my own arm restraints for when in anothers car.  BUT ,even belts are not really adequate unless one takes the time to properly adjust them. That rarely happens also.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline BDKW1

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 10:48:23 PM »
Somebody ran out of talent.

Bug

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009, 11:34:02 PM »
If nothing else, just learn from this, learn from someone elses mistake. Otherwise you might need to learn how to wipe with your other hand.

no matter how big or small, this is all dangerous when it comes down to it. 5-10 grand worth of buggy, and 50 bucks worth of straps.     Do the math... ::)

Admin

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2009, 06:03:07 AM »
35.00 or so worth of straps, I got plenty of them if anyone needs some to...

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2009, 08:40:00 AM »
What failed on the rear to cause that?

I freeze framed it through, and the rear tires are towed in about 45 degrees even on the first roll.  When the car goes sideways it is because of the rear tires....  The fronts are straight.

I agree on the safety equipment.  Always required.  Things fail even when your not getting crazy.  Friend of a friend died at LS a few years back.  Microstub broke, car rolled, head on rollbar.  Helmets are a good idea even in a car.

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2009, 08:45:44 AM »
 ambulance.jpg
Man loses hand in dune buggy accident
May 4th, 2009 @ 8:25am

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) -- A man lost his right hand after his dune buggy rolled up to a dozen times down Sand Mountain at the Little Sahara Recreation Area in Juab County.

Juab County Sheriff Alden Orme says the 37-year-old Hyrum man lost control of the vehicle on Sunday. He was flown to a Salt Lake City hospital with serious injuries but is expected to survive.

Orme says the man was experienced but that it only takes being careless one time to cause an injury.

Orme says training in sand safety is available at the recreation area's visitor's center.

------

Information from: The Salt Lake Tribune

(Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2009, 08:55:14 AM »
ambulance.jpg
Man loses hand in dune buggy accident
May 4th, 2009 @ 8:25am

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) -- A man lost his right hand after his dune buggy rolled up to a dozen times down Sand Mountain at the Little Sahara Recreation Area in Juab County.

Juab County Sheriff Alden Orme says the 37-year-old Hyrum man lost control of the vehicle on Sunday. He was flown to a Salt Lake City hospital with serious injuries but is expected to survive.

Orme says the man was experienced but that it only takes being careless one time to cause an injury.

Orme says training in sand safety is available at the recreation area's visitor's center.

------

Information from: The Salt Lake Tribune

(Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

You think the news paper would have the REAL story?

BWAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHhahahahahahaahhaha.........................................

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2009, 09:15:27 AM »
  This is only IMO       

In looking at it in slow mo you can see at the 21 and 22 second frame that the car turns from a straight line run to about a 20 degree turn with the front end still off the ground.  (Possible axle brake) Then you can see in frame 23 that when the front tires come down they are aliened straight with the car not turned in the direction the car is traveling in. Then it is a typical off throttle rear end slide that he can not regain controll of.  If he had had full control (of car and senses) and throttled hard he mite could have powered out of it.

Let the what ifs Begin.

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2009, 09:44:53 AM »
I know what your saying Glen.  What if's get you nowhere.

I just think that there was a mechanical problem that caused the car to go hard right, then roll.  The front wheels were straight.  Chalking it up to driver error and saying he was careless makes everyone feel good, because that can't happen to them.  It is possible that there were circumstances beyond his control.

I haven't taken the Sand Safety Training, but I am pretty certain that within 100 yards of passing the gate I have broken some of their safety rules, and that is just the way it's gonna be.  Wear your safety gear and drive within reason and hope for the best.  I get a sick feeling EVERY time I top a dune blind.  One reason I want a cage.  But I am not under the illusion that the cage guarantees safety.

Admin

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2009, 10:10:30 AM »
I feel terrible for the old chap, he wouldn't have lost no hand with wrist restarints on tho... There is his own stupidity...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal