Author Topic: enclosed trailers  (Read 7598 times)

Offline Wyattboche

enclosed trailers
« on: October 28, 2010, 12:44:45 AM »
How do they measure there trailers? Is it from the outside or inside dimensions? Looking at geting a 6'x14' enclosed.

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
Re: enclosed trailers
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 06:30:48 AM »
How do they measure there trailers? Is it from the outside or inside dimensions? Looking at geting a 6'x14' enclosed.

Some go by inside the box dimensions. Some even include the tongue.

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

LiveWire

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 08:23:02 AM »
Most I have seen are the outside of the box. My 24' is 23.5' inside.

Icky

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 09:42:35 AM »
I just bought a pace last week 8.5 x 20 and its 20'4" L and 8' wide  inside and like 24 overall length

Offline Wyattboche

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 12:37:53 PM »
Some go by inside the box dimensions. Some even include the tongue.
I'm looking at the vfront enclosed trailers. Most of the places I stoped at they count the tongue as part of the trailer. my buggy fits on a 6'x10' open trailer, do you think I have enough room with a 6' wide trailer or should I go with the 8'?

SPEC

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 02:34:08 PM »
Always go with the 8 footer

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 02:42:34 PM »
Ya like Spec said.  Always go with the eight wide. I don"t care ifen you just putting a single setter in the thing.  You get a six wide and you'll  kick you keyster for doing it. 

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 04:16:30 PM »
+1+1
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2010, 05:47:21 PM »
It just depends if you want to be able to sit in it when a rain cloud goes over.  ;D 

You will see a bid difference in how hard it is to pull when you jump up to the ones you can stand in without ducking.  That height above the truck makes a big difference if you like to run 70....

As far as the length measurements go, I don't know about the V-noses, but on square tag trailers it is usually box length, but when you get into a goosneck / 5th wheel they get screwy on measuring the full length to the neck.  If you read the fine print they will usually specify "floor length" and give that dimension.

Offline Dunebound69

• Time flies when drinking rum!
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2010, 08:27:21 PM »
GO WIDE and GO BIG! Never heard any one say they had to much space. My gooseneck is measured as total length. My old bumper pull was the inside of the box. Both of mine are S&S trailers. DS V nose for example is 20ft + the v nose (H&H). But they all should list a platform dimension.
Time flies when having rum!
Famous last words, Watch this
Government can not give you anything it dose not take from someone else first. When we stop laughing we start dying.
"When you stop doing things for fun you might as well be dead" Hemingway

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2010, 09:02:24 PM »
+1
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Wyattboche

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2010, 11:52:24 PM »
Here is something that I'm looking at. Wedge Nose Cargo Trailers, 8' Wide Tandem Axle
http://www.johnsontrailerco.com/Enclosed_Trailers.php
So if you click on 8' Wide Tandem Axle it will bring up the specs on the trailer depending on what length you go with. towards the bottom of the page is where the pricing is and all the optiions. I have been thinking about geting the IWD-714 TA2 which retails for $4,121 that is for the base model. I want ramp door on the back, fold down ramp in the front to drive atv's out and snowmobiles, D ring tie downs(10) in the floor, and some vents. with my options its right around $5200. 

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2010, 05:50:26 PM »
and those use to be standard!  you know for all around general purposes I wouldn't go any narrower than an 8.5' wide and the v-nose is a plus but different manufacturer's build different size v-s so in h&h's case they are 30" at the v and h&h measures floor space on bumper or goose! one thing to remember is what do you plan on using it for here and now or in the future? the stock axle generally aren't up to the task of the weight of a full size car with out being pushed to there limits so you might want to step up to the next weight class like 5k or what ever they offer.   dunes right no one ever says I have to much space!! this of course is why I'm selling mine.
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2010, 06:09:08 PM »
The only case where a guy might admit his is not big enough.   bs1
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2010, 06:18:52 PM »
Wyatt,make sure they place the d rings where they are useful. Don't let the put them just anywhere.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal