Author Topic: new truck sucks  (Read 12232 times)

LiveWire

Re: new truck sucks
« Reply #60 on: February 11, 2009, 01:52:17 PM »
Not ALL US cars are junk, but on average, they are nowhere NEAR as reliable as a Toyota or Honda. Those two mfr's are the TOP 5 in reliability (Scion, Acura, Honda, Toyota, and Lexus--in that order). The FIRST American company is Lincoln, at 11th... BELOW KIA!!!! The first GM is Buik, at 18th! (Still below 3 Ford companies.) Dodge is 30th, out of 34 companies in reliability. To me, that's JUNK. We should be LEADERS, not free-loaders, in the automotive industry.

Ford had the highest ratings in initial vehicle quality in 5 out of 19 categories for 2007 model year. GM had 3 and Honda had 2.

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #61 on: February 11, 2009, 02:06:11 PM »
Possibly discussing vehicle preferences should go the way of Politics and Religion.........

hirevlimit

« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2009, 02:13:12 PM »
Well said Engineer ;)

plkracer

« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2009, 02:14:06 PM »
213,000 on my 95 buick and it's still going... My dad's 73 chev is still going strong too. It's driven pretty much everyday. I can't tell you how many times the odometer has tripped over.

My cousin used his dad's work truck for a while to go to work until he got an FJ. It had 402,000 miles. If that isn't reliable, you have problems. Only thing replaced was the alternator.

I think most of the reliability is based on maitenance.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 02:15:59 PM by plkracer »

LiveWire

« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2009, 04:37:16 PM »
I think most of the reliability is based on maitenance.

I notice the people at work who drive foreign cars seem to always have stuff replaced when the car is in for 'maintenance'. The dealer tells them something is bad and they get it replaced. Some have these deals where they pay so much every month regardless and any worn out or near worn out wearable item gets replaced whenever they take the car in. I'm not saying it is bad to replace stuff before it breaks. It does however affect those people's opinions of reliability. A tie rod ends replaced while getting the oil change does not seem to be regarded as affecting the reliability of the car in the opinion of the owner. A clacking sound or loose steering does. I think US car dealers should take a look at the foreign car dealer strategy.

SPEC

« Reply #65 on: February 11, 2009, 04:46:58 PM »
Romantically... in my opinion, Dodge ruleZ!!!!!!
Intellectually (ie: from an engineering perspective) they don't even rate.......
eg: the bestest 3 Fords (opinion!) are NOT actually Fords at all..... RS200, Cobra, GT40.

AAAAAHHHHHHH
CAROLL SHELBY BABIES
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 04:49:38 PM by Spec »

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #66 on: February 11, 2009, 05:17:07 PM »
Possibly discussing vehicle preferences should go the way of Politics and Religion.........

Why?  If we cant discuss cars on a site devoted to,well, cars, what good is it?  Next thing you're gonna do is push for a higher restraint of boobie pictures - that's right - you will be a push up!  :laugh:
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

SPEC

« Reply #67 on: February 11, 2009, 05:26:33 PM »
 :m :n :s :n :r :m
Just for you E-farmer :o

plkracer

« Reply #68 on: February 11, 2009, 05:27:15 PM »
Livewire, that probably would improve reliability in the eyes of the consumer, but also at a higher cost.

I do all the maintenance on my vehicles, and have yet to have one fail on me (Besides a electrical problem in my pickup. The pickup sensor for the HEI died). Personally, I think taking your car to a dealership is a joke. The wheel bearings just went out in our 2002 buick. 102,000 miles, WTF?? Anyways, 250 dollars later, and a couple hours, they were replaced (the fronts). People online complain about it costing 500-750 dollars PER WHEEL. I understand the labor is not cheap, but I will always choose to do my own maintenance, but I also understand how others do not have the know-how/time/patience etc.

plkracer

« Reply #69 on: February 11, 2009, 05:28:42 PM »
:m :n :s :n :r :m
Just for you E-farmer :o

Getting pretty close to VIP material there..  ;D LOL

SPEC

« Reply #70 on: February 11, 2009, 05:30:43 PM »
 jj: 5: :t

Too tired to type

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #71 on: February 11, 2009, 05:44:17 PM »
Why?  If we cant discuss cars on a site devoted to,well, cars, what good is it?  Next thing you're gonna do is push for a higher restraint of boobie pictures - that's right - you will be a push up!  :laugh:

Ok, Every Dodge I have ever owned was a total piece of shit.  I knew there was a problem with the first one 340ci 197X when I went to replace the header gasket, and coolant was running out the exhaust stud hole.  The dodge guys said it was normal.  ::)  Sold that POS in about a month.  Next Dodge truck CUMMINS power, 1995 5 electric window motors, interior falls apart, no power  POS.  Dodge Intrepid, 4 PS pumps, wouldn't start if below zero, EFI would flood out, have to pull the plugs off the injectors, it would fire and clean the fuel out, then plug them back in and try again.  Plus multiple other problems, but it did drive nice>  ;D

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yummi Made me do it!  Just to prove that I do not stand for censorship!

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #72 on: February 11, 2009, 09:06:09 PM »
I've been pretty happy with my dakota.  After fixing all the shit that was wrong with it when I got it, it's been a pretty solid truck.  It's got the 318 in it and 4 wheel drive and I mainly use it for towing.  I chose it cuz I liked the body style (it's a '99) and I wanted a V8 but not a full size truck.  Last spring I hauled scrap for a while after I quit my job, I towed about 8000lbs per trip, 25 miles each way, two trips a day for almost a month and it handled it like a champ.  I know it does a hell of a lot better job than my dads chevy.  His last one was a silverado, his current one is the 2005?  equivalent.  It sucks as far as tongue weight handling and towing goes.  If I was to buy a new truck today, and I have looked and thought about it, I would go with the Honda Ridgeline because it has slightly more power than my dakota, is wider, and 4 door 4 wheel drive is standard.  I would really like to see Honda come out with a V8 though.  If they could get the power per liter out of the v8 that they do out of the 4 cylinders, it would be crazy..
This post has been edited due to content.

trojan

« Reply #73 on: February 12, 2009, 12:10:07 AM »
::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) to all of the above. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

OH NO! NOT a big run of sarcastic smileys.... I'm fooked now.....

hirevlimit

« Reply #74 on: February 12, 2009, 04:50:34 AM »
No censorship needed here E-farmer,you just came up with the answer to everything.....
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^"YUMMI MADE ME DO IT"^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
HAHAHA its perfect. ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal