Author Topic: new truck sucks  (Read 12234 times)

Offline T8erhead

• VIP
Re: new truck sucks
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2009, 08:01:50 AM »
I have to say that my 1996 S-10 4x4 4.3L got better mileage than my '06 Tacoma TRD 4.0L.  The best tank yet was right at 16 mpg.  The S10 was closer to 20.  I don't do much towing so I lean more to the little trucks, but either way I expected better from the Yota.  There is no comparing them off road though.  The Toy wins.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 08:04:22 AM by T8erhead »

LiveWire

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2009, 10:37:20 AM »
I have to say that my 1996 S-10 4x4 4.3L got better mileage than my '06 Tacoma TRD 4.0L.  The best tank yet was right at 16 mpg.  The S10 was closer to 20.  I don't do much towing so I lean more to the little trucks, but either way I expected better from the Yota.  There is no comparing them off road though.  The Toy wins.

I guess you don't care that the bed sides flex so much that they beat the piss out of edges of the tail gate.

plkracer

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2009, 09:50:23 PM »
yeah, my uncle showed me that. My chevy won't budge, but grab a yota an pull on the side while pushing the tailgate.  :u

Offline T8erhead

• VIP
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2009, 09:45:06 AM »
Yeah I guess I should have tried that when I test drove it.  My last toy  went 240k without me noticing the flex in the bed.  The chevy was hammered though, cracked control arms, bad wheel bearings, 4x4 didn't work due to the front diff exploding under power for the second time, tranny slipping, electrical issues in the dash, and the driver side window had to be pushed up and down by hand(pushed, not cranked).  The driver door sagged about 3/4" so that the door would just slam into the frame without latching.  Speaking of the tailgate, on the chev the latch was such a POS, after it broke I redesigned and built it better than chevy did originally, in my basement with a harbor freight flux welder.  In 9 years, I put 100k of the 120k it had on it and I couldn't justify buying another one.  I looked at the Colorado but liked the Tacoma.  Quick some one with Jap motor in their buggy tell me how Un-Amercan I am. ::)

« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 09:55:27 AM by T8erhead »

Offline T8erhead

• VIP
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2009, 06:48:57 AM »
I'm not the kind of guy who hangs a pair of testicles from the back of his truck, so I doubt that much piss, or any other bodily fluid will be beaten out of it.  Just messin' with ya btw.  Me and my bro give each other a lot of shit over our rides, all in good fun.  He's an American so he drives a Dodge.  Seriously though, I read at least 10 reviews and comparisons, and drove comparable trucks, to make my own comparison.  The Tacoma satisfied my particular wants and needs better than the others I looked at. 

« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 06:56:17 AM by T8erhead »

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2009, 08:48:50 AM »
I hope you like rice.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2009, 07:18:56 PM »
Quick some one with Jap motor in their buggy tell me how Un-Amercan I am. ::)

LOL!  Where is Whiplash when you need him?  He just went Ecotec!  He could say something, or DS but he says he's going back Jap next time.  So your right we can all just zip it!  :-X

455bird

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2009, 07:34:26 PM »

Offline T8erhead

• VIP
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2009, 08:01:01 AM »
I don't really care what someone drives.  I drove my s10 for a long time.  Even with all the issues (many from lack of maintenance or repair) I had a hard time getting rid of it.  I had freinds begging me for years to get rid of it.  If I needed to tow a heavy load, I would have bought an American truck for sure.  That is what they do well.  But I just don't need to tow more than 6500lbs.  If my buggy weighs more than 4000 on the trailer I would be surprised.

Has someone here tried the bed flex test on a Colorado?  I am curious how that great piece of American Engineering faired in that all important test of how well a truck performs.

Oh yeah Masterfabr, I love rice!  I love it with beans and Chili Verde, and I love it with raw fish and wasabi.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2009, 08:23:55 AM »
 ::)
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2009, 08:28:02 AM »
t8r,since American engineering sux I hope you won't cry too much when the things YOU build are made overseas more cheaply. Don't think it will happen? Just keep believing that buying from overseas is a good thing for your future and wait..
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline T8erhead

• VIP
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2009, 12:31:21 PM »
Nobody said it sucks.  I am sincerely curious how it is in comparison.  I know what I make is made overseas more cheaply.  I can show you websites that have my company's actual photos, represented by manufacturers based here but building in the Phillipines.  That is business.  Can they recreate our products exactly?  No.  Do most customers care?  No.   Our company works hard to produce new designs, so that we can sell them before they get ripped off.  It is a business model to keep us ahead of or on par with competitors, so that we don't have to fly our private jets to Washington with our hands out for taxpayer money.

How many of the components that are assembled here in a GM plant, were made here.  In this global economy it is laughable to think that any thing you buy is really made here.  Go ahead and read the standards for the "Made In The USA" label.  This is from the Federal Trade Commission.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/business/adv/bus03.shtm

You may be surprised at what can be called a Domestic product. 

If I bought my truck from a local used car dealer, how much of that goes overseas?

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2009, 12:43:42 PM »
No one is arguing what you say.The point is that WE have to change the IDEA that it is OK to support other countries instead of ourselves first.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline T8erhead

• VIP
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2009, 04:29:19 PM »
I agree 100%.  Maybe for different reasons, but I agree.  Buy local first.  But even when you buy local, you support other countries.  Go as basic as you can think-  Food.  Join a co-op, get your groceries from a local farmer, do some research, I'm sure you could find one near your home.  But wait, where did the diesel in their tractor come from?  Or where did the ignition switch in that tractor come from?  Or who picked that apple and did they have their paperwork in order? 

We live in a global society.  That is something we can't argue about. 

The better idea to change is the We vs. them.  We are all we.  No matter what side of what imaginary line we may live on.  Could any one actually go through 1 day without using anything from another country?  Not in our society.   

I know that I am asking a lot.  It would take more change than any president could ever bring on.  It would be a shift of the entire collective consciousness that is human kind.  Until that day, I won't feel bad for driving a Yota. ;)

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2009, 04:44:15 PM »
All I can do is shake my head my man.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal