Author Topic: street legal bike powered sandrail  (Read 6845 times)

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
Re: street legal bike powered sandrail
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2011, 05:30:59 AM »
You should read http://www.dtsfab.com/index/index.php?topic=206.0

Busa turbo > 091 trans, no chains, read!!!
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

2088bob

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2011, 06:29:13 AM »
not spun on that idea at all   then i would just build a single seat buggy ala 1/2 1600 style and slap my 450hp subie motor in it     i want motorcycle powered  and not have to bother with a vw tranny got all sorts of that stuff laying around now

looks  like quaife to me

i very much like the look of the car from short sandcars     i really like the idea of the Rage buggy   but the car itself lacks style
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 06:32:22 AM by 2088bob »

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2011, 06:51:23 AM »
Ever driven a 400HP busa car? I guarantee it'll outrun/run with a 450 HP subie. With the 6 speed handling the primary shifting and the 091 used as an overdrive/underdrive unit it's damn sweet to drive. BUT everyone has their preferences.   'nuff said. 
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 06:53:41 AM by masterfabr »
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

2088bob

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2011, 08:26:15 AM »
oh i agree with you thats why i am after lightweight  bike powered car i see the performance advantage of the light weight so why would i want the  a heavy vw bus trans in the mix    i don't know how old you are but i have slugged more than my share  of vw t2 boxes around to know for sure i am not interested in one in a bullet bike motor  car

and i wouldn't be to hard on the subie motor my bunny powered car will run 12.20's  till the sun falls out of the sky     thats only 187 hp i can only imagine  what my 450hp subie would do in that car

but the subie is slated for my hotrails car

i just like the idea of a light weight nimble little single seater   which will gain some weight anyway when i add the street legal stuff

i am getting it narrowed down to a quaife or jeffco

i have a work scheduled for germany   i may just bring a quaife back with me  cut out the middle man

besides i already have a trans when i have the bike motor i will think about just a simple diff unit   

when i was overseas last time   germany is home  i had a chance to ride a 500 suzuki quad    the old 500cc 2 stroke quadzilla on the autobahn they allow quads on the road there   this thing was set up for street duty lowered suspension sticky road tires  regeared    it was 1 hell of a fun ride but it sucked a bit in the corners no diff  so this is what has wetted my appetite for a bullet bike motored single seater

enough said

« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 08:39:53 AM by 2088bob »

2088bob

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2011, 08:41:41 AM »
PS you actually have a setup like this running    also not keen on mounting the motor long ways in chassis

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2011, 09:38:50 AM »
Yes I have it running. Everyone has their own ideas. I understand your thinking and don't disagree. Do you understand why I have developed this?
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

2088bob

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2011, 10:30:53 AM »
i understand fully   but its not for me not what   i want   the offroad car in my avatar was mine alot of years back    frankly i have kind had my fill of vw trannys   it is an unnecessary evil of our hobby    yes i could go with a mendy or fortin or albins   but a modified vw will have to do   cuz i am not spending  the money for the others that's just the way it is    and now that my interest lies strictly on the street   my tranny breakage has been reduced a lot    the t1 in my current has 45000ks on it and 5 years just had it freshen up  i put more k's on my street rail in a season than any other street legal rail in all of Canada  i average 8to9 thousand ks a year  when my hotrails car is finally done and the old car goes i hope to pile up even more street miles everysummer

if the sun is shining i am out in my rail      my buell is for sale   just no time for 2 wheels any more  plus it does not   excite me anymore

and yes i drove a turbo 350hp busa  lotus super 7 replica  and that did stiffen the little stick

i had a look at that car on the transworx website i believe thats what its called the green one  with the longitudually mtd busa  and the carved up vw case absolutely not what i want  very nice car but not my cup of tea just like tom pro who builds  very  nice car well thought out    IMO i just don't like the look /style of the car    but don't misconstrue  that to mean his cars are no good don't  like the styling and looks of the sinister cars either  but they are no doubt excellent cars

so those are just my opinions and don't mean sh!t to anybody but me

have you had a chance to look at the european FIA  autocross buggies now there is some tech stuff there  but there cars are all ugly as sin as well
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 10:44:53 AM by 2088bob »

2088bob

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2011, 01:09:09 PM »
http://www.autocrosscarsforsale.cz/en/component/adsmanager/?page=show_ad&adid=692&catid=5

not only is this car busa powered its also 4wd  one of hundreds of high tech buggies like this in the european fia series

2088bob

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2011, 01:28:33 PM »
if things dont pan out i my just go this way

this is also a busa powered car and 4 wheel drive

you can get better pics of this if you surf thru the website in the previous post   this is one of hundreds out there
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 01:32:16 PM by 2088bob »

2088bob

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2011, 02:07:13 PM »
http://www.spiesmetaalservice.nl/04_projecten/index.html

if you can live with a 5speed busa box  this outfit here puts reverse right in your busa gearbox  it goes where 1st is  and they have gears to change the rest of the box around  they are in holland they are 6 hours ahead of us i will be contacting in morning
this would allow me to play with myfinal drive ratios to get what i need

click on producten the hyabusa reverse   i speak and read a small amount of dutch thats what the description under parts says
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 02:18:36 PM by 2088bob »

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2011, 06:49:07 PM »
For offroad,losing first is definately not an option IMO. Ya,I have checked out the stuff you show for a long time. Most of that stuff is quite nicely engineered and quite capable for the actual use they are designed for. Dunes and desert type stuff here tho is unique in how hard it is on a vehicle. Sort of an apples to oranges thing. Anyway keep us posted on what you do. It's all good.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

trans man

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2011, 12:53:11 AM »
Ya,that's right,rub it in! You guys don't really want me getting started on Dons crap. I understand he's NOT soda blasting them now like he claims either. Is that the case?  I'm working on the rear engine version of the 091/busa coupler now. I really like the mid engine setup but many want rear engine sooooo.............it's on the way.
It was just like yours Fabr, full of road tar. thumb down thumb down

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2011, 06:45:50 AM »
Was the trans in front of you bought before or after the The Samba bash? If after,Don is even less scrupoulous than even I thought.

On another note a VW 091 without the bellhousing and flywheel/clutch weighs not much more than a jeffco and you have the same basic area needed for the 091 as a jeffco including chain. A busa mounted longitudinally also takes up no more room than a conventionally mounted one. And then there's the benefit of having ,on the fly,a choice of final drive ratios.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 06:56:19 AM by masterfabr »
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

2088bob

« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2011, 08:35:14 AM »
right now i am focused on the reverse in the busa box  concept   i am spun on that idea    and will persue this until i have all the info , then i can get away from a reverser box and just go with simple diff  not looking to go offroad anyway   
 I have witnessed both the old mickey thompson stadium series buggy races and FIA autocross  when i was in europe  and the autocross guys beat on their  sh!t just as hard if not harder than the north american guys   and very few DNF's
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 05:15:15 PM by 2088bob »

trans man

« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2011, 11:44:17 AM »
Was the trans in front of you bought before or after the The Samba bash? If after,Don is even less scrupoulous than even I thought.

About one year ago. So I would say it was after that Fabr. :-X :-X :-X

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal