Author Topic: DIY beadlocks  (Read 2710 times)

Offline Tydra

• VIP
  • GRASSHOPPER
DIY beadlocks
« on: May 06, 2009, 09:11:15 PM »
so i decided i wanted beadlocks for my buggy, budget didn't allow for them. my uncle built a couple sets for his rock crawler before he bought his trailready rims. so i figured i'd give it a shot. did some research, here's the process i came up with.

i bought rims and tires, 26x12x12 ITP blackwaters on 12x7 ITP delta steel rims for the rear, 25x8x12 ITP mudlites on 12x4 steel trailer rims on the front. i designed the rings and had them lasered, they are cut from 3/16th plate. i used spacer (anti-cone) rings, 2x 3/16th on the rear, 1x 1/4 on the front. each rims took 16x 5/16"x1-1/2" grade 5 bolts, 16 poly-lock nuts and 32 washers. i wanted to add as much width as possible so i chose to weld to the outside rim (added almost an inch to the mounting width). overall i'm pretty stoked with the results.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 08:58:41 AM by Tydra »

Offline Tydra

• VIP
  • GRASSHOPPER
Re: DIY beadlocks
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 09:17:22 PM »
i took one of my front axles, mounted it in a vise, and mounted the rim, i used a wire wheel on a grinder to take the paint/powdercoat off the welding surface around the outside of the rims and around the existing valve stem hole which needs to be relocated.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 08:56:58 AM by Tydra »

Offline Tydra

• VIP
  • GRASSHOPPER
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 09:23:05 PM »
after tacking it in place, i put it back on the axle, and welded it in 4-5" section, after working my way around the rim, i set it aside to cool and start on the next rims.

Offline Tydra

• VIP
  • GRASSHOPPER
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 09:28:19 PM »
i ground the high points off the welds the cleaned the it up with a flap disc. i also drilled the new valve stem location, making sure on the front rims that was between the bolts.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 09:35:45 PM by Tydra »

Offline Tydra

• VIP
  • GRASSHOPPER
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 09:38:20 PM »
i welded the anti cone rings to the front outer ring, on the rear there is one on the inner ring as well.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 08:59:47 AM by Tydra »

Offline Tydra

• VIP
  • GRASSHOPPER
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 09:46:15 PM »
to mount the tires i used irons to to get it over the outside rim, aligned the outer ring with 4 bolts at 12-3-6-9, locked it down then worked my way around in a star pattern until all the bolts were in. this time i just clamped the rings down, when i reassemble them after powdercoat i'll torque them properly.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 10:06:56 PM by Tydra »

Offline Tydra

• VIP
  • GRASSHOPPER
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 09:46:55 PM »
the complete set

artie on edge

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009, 09:48:39 PM »
Mate looks bloody good! How much weight did that add to each rim?

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2009, 09:57:42 PM »
Lots of work but damn nice results.Kudos to you!!!!!
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

artie on edge

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2009, 10:02:36 PM »
i welded the anti cone rings to the front outer ring, on the rear there is one on the inner rim as well.

was that cause the rear tyre has a thicker bead? What was the thickness you used on all the steel?

Im really interested in this. Im using 14' rims and over here I just cant find any one to buy this stuff off at a reasonable price (15" is freely available, 'I'm odd')..so, I had thought I would have to make it... thanks for the inspiration...

SPEC

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2009, 06:05:09 AM »
VERY....VERY.... NICE.... TY
Thats a Fooken great idea...and it looks like you executed it nicely ;D

Offline Tydra

• VIP
  • GRASSHOPPER
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2009, 07:01:57 AM »
thx gents.

the rings weighed 6.6 lbs per tire (the laser program told me so, lol) plus hardware and weld, i'll guess around 8 lbs per wheel. it's alot of unsprung weight but the added strength is huge.

the rear tire has 2x 3/16" spacers because the bead of the tire was thicker then the front, i bead on the front was a little under 3/8" and the rear was a little over 7/16".

the process didn't add to the diameter, it added to the width. i size the inner ring based on the outside diameter of the rim, then welded it to the outside of the lip, the outer ring is a little smaller. i've read about putting it inside the lip or cutting the lip off as well but the extra width was an added bonus. the profile of my tires looks quite a bit better, the rims are more like 12x5s and 12x8s now.

Admin

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2009, 07:22:46 AM »
Excellent job Tyrdra, Ill be honest, I don't like the pointed design, But damn fine work indeed, and creativity...

LiveWire

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2009, 11:12:29 AM »
I sell beadlock kits. I priced out making them myself since I get a lot of stuff laser cut. It did not pay off because the ones I buy made, they put 10" inside 12" inside 15", etc. So they make better use of the material.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal