Author Topic: Computer display  (Read 3514 times)

Ozpilot

Computer display
« on: April 20, 2009, 11:30:07 PM »
I am having trouble with my computer display when I am on this site (and I haven't noticed it at any other time).  I have just got a new computer and when I am on this site the display goes blank (black) every now and again (sometimes every 10 seconds and sometimes every couple of minutes) then the display comes back after about 3 - 5 seconds and it says "Input HDMI".  It seems the display is losing sync or something weird like that (I don't know how this stuff works).  If I keep typing while the screen is blank the typing works like nothing is wrong so the computer is not hanging - its just the display.  I have downloaded Java etc.  Do I need some sort of plug-in or something?  It is really strange.

trojan

Re: Computer display
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 12:31:08 AM »
You'll feel stoopid, but don't:
your video plug is not in right. check the video plug on the computer AND the monitor ;)
"Input HDMI" is the monitor telling you it's unplugged.

Ozpilot

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 12:42:54 AM »
You'll feel stoopid, but don't:
your video plug is not in right. check the video plug on the computer AND the monitor ;)
"Input HDMI" is the monitor telling you it's unplugged.

I wish ...

I tried that yesterday.  That was before I realised it is on this site only.  It starts dropping out as soon as I come onto this site and continues to happen till I leave then it doesn't do it at all.  Weird (and really annoying!!)

trojan

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 02:18:17 AM »
Bugger!

There is absolutely nothing "funny" on any of our pages that I'm aware of ;) stick with me here and we'll sort it out. I'm usually pretty good with computers... usually ;D

perhaps it is the cable itself?

the error message is saying the monitor is getting no input on the HDMI, usually the cable is unplugged. it can be a dodgy cable. it can also be the display driver "having a moment". BTW the monitor can tell the difference between the "no connection" and "got a connection but no/bad signal", so I doubt it is that.
it could be something like flash is causing a glitch in your display driver? but it would also happen on youtube etc. so I doubt it.

have you run the setup software with the tools and drivers that came with the monitor?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 02:23:53 AM by trojan »

trojan

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 02:19:47 AM »
Weird (and really annoying!!)

'Round here we call that "trojan" :P
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 02:21:50 AM by trojan »

artie on edge

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 02:36:37 AM »
'Round here we call that "trojan" :P

Not to your face we dont....... behind yer back...mm... yup and a few other things......

Ozpilot

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 03:41:33 AM »
Bugger!

There is absolutely nothing "funny" on any of our pages that I'm aware of ;) stick with me here and we'll sort it out. I'm usually pretty good with computers... usually ;D

perhaps it is the cable itself?

the error message is saying the monitor is getting no input on the HDMI, usually the cable is unplugged. it can be a dodgy cable. it can also be the display driver "having a moment". BTW the monitor can tell the difference between the "no connection" and "got a connection but no/bad signal", so I doubt it is that.
it could be something like flash is causing a glitch in your display driver? but it would also happen on youtube etc. so I doubt it.

have you run the setup software with the tools and drivers that came with the monitor?

Because I have only just got this computer I haven't used it on youtube etc. so it may happen there but I haven't noticed.  It doens't happen on OZATV, MBN, BOM (gov weather site), ebay, trading post or any of the websites I use for work (which all have almost no graphics - just a few jpegs here and there and a lot of text).

Are there any sites you can think of that I should try?  It seems to me to be something like what you are guessing (something like flash causing a glitch - that's why I asked - I figured you guys would know what is used here that may not be used elsewhere).  I'll try youtube.

trojan

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 04:03:05 AM »
which browser and version are you using? (help menu -> About)

Have you tried it in firefox?

Ozpilot

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2009, 04:22:31 AM »
Internet explorer 7

No problems on youtube (found some good mastercam videos tho ...)

As soon as I come back here the problem starts again.  Blanked out 4 time typing this.

trojan

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2009, 04:35:08 AM »
try firefox

Ozpilot

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2009, 04:42:35 AM »
Seems the same using Firefox.  Possibly a little more stable than IE (in the 5 minutes I've tried it) but still fine elsewhere and drops out here.

trojan

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2009, 04:52:04 AM »
faaark.....

how about here: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php
sorry it's so booring, it's the same forum software...

trojan

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2009, 02:02:02 AM »
How'd ya get on mate?

Ozpilot

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2009, 02:06:58 AM »
Still having the same trouble.  I stopped trying stuff the other night as I had to go home (its my computer here at work that has the problem).  It's a stand alone computer and I've never had trouble here with any other computer.

I have noticed the problem on one other program I use (an accounting program based on software called "Omnis Studio") but the problem is by far the worst on this site.  It hasn't happened on any other internet sites.

trojan

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2009, 02:12:28 AM »
It's intriguing to say the least ;)
Being a work computer, can you upgrade your display driver?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal