Author Topic: Paddles and PSI Preference?  (Read 8543 times)

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
Re: Paddles and PSI Preference?
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2009, 10:29:02 AM »
I have always seen them inside and outside.  And every drag race beadlock is both sides.

Than I was very missinformed! (and a couple of cars I have seen only had them on the outside...hmmm) I also assumed since I have only seen beadlocks on the outside (in the sand), the same would hold true for screws.
  I should be okay in the sand I'm hoping for this trip. I cant get my road tires to slip one mm on the pavement!
"If the hate of men could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world."   ~Nikola Tesla

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2009, 12:26:57 PM »
Enemy,IMO you will regret using screws in just the one side.In the early days we used screws on just the outside.A traction/HP grew it would let the tire twist torsionally on the wheel. Noit good since the  next thing that would happen is the bead was ripped to shreds. I hope you're taking a spare set of paddles if we have wet sand. Dragrace beadlocks are double for that same reason. Double beadlocks are a real SOB to mount also.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2009, 01:38:51 PM »
Enemy,IMO you will regret using screws in just the one side.In the early days we used screws on just the outside.A traction/HP grew it would let the tire twist torsionally on the wheel. Noit good since the  next thing that would happen is the bead was ripped to shreds. I hope you're taking a spare set of paddles if we have wet sand. Dragrace beadlocks are double for that same reason. Double beadlocks are a real SOB to mount also.

Tonight, I'm gunna do the inside. Talked to another friend that over the last decade he has gotten his car into the 7's. He described what one has to go through to remove a tire from a rim that is screwed on one side and slipped the bead on the inside. Can you say "hacksaw"?? :o

If the sand goes wet (I hope it does..wheelie time!! :D) I will up the pressure for piece of mind..

But here is where I get fuzzy. How can a beadlock on the outside only, not have problems with the inside bead???  Isn't that what "most" cars are running in the sand, a single lock?
Once again, this is the kinda shit that keeps me awake at night,,lol
"If the hate of men could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world."   ~Nikola Tesla

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2009, 01:42:51 PM »
In the early days we used screws on just the outside.

Man I bet that was a bitch.. Chisling all those little holes in stone wheels? All day project! ;D

...couldn't resist :m

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2009, 02:00:38 PM »
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  rEALLY YOU NEED TO imo UNDERSTAND WHY BEADLOCKS ARE USED OFFROAD.   Beadlocks for drag race is to prevent spinning the tire on the rim. It takes a LOT of traction to do that and screws usually work well to prevent that.  My doorslammer was 2600#'s approx and ran 7.80's.Never a problem with screws. Only VERY powerful drag cars will need beadlocks... For OUR purpose we use beadlocks to prevent the tire from unseating during turns. Tire pressure is what usually keeps that from happening.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2009, 02:22:21 PM »
I grasp what you are saying and understand why you use one versus the other...AND should state that the only time my car sustains that kind of side load is when I really F-up  a landing. Since my wonderful open diff blues keep me from EVER putting any load on the bead in turns. 9:
.....sucks.... no tokyo drift for me..

trojan

« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2009, 01:45:41 AM »
I think the Aussies have the best idea on this!  Stealth beadlocks.  Any idea what they cost?  The USA link on their site wouldn't work for me.

AFAIK, AU$135 but I've heard others say AU$170 each.

trojan

« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2009, 01:59:35 AM »
You could go with the "Sik-a-flex beadlock" also known as the "hillbilly beadlock":
Run a bead of Sikaflex (polyurethane sealant) around the bead, after mounting but before inflation.
It will take "some effort" to replace the tyres though ;D

I have it on excellent authority these work well off-road ;)

trojan

« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2009, 02:02:03 AM »
I find it a bit amusing that in all this talk about how much psi to run that no one ,not even engineer, has said a thing about the importance  tire size and the buggy weight in determining what is right.

How about the ability to tune the suspension with low inflation of the tyre?

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2009, 05:44:47 AM »
THat's another topic.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2009, 06:50:44 AM »
You could go with the "Sik-a-flex beadlock" also known as the "hillbilly beadlock":
Run a bead of Sikaflex (polyurethane sealant) around the bead, after mounting but before inflation.
It will take "some effort" to replace the tyres though ;D

I have it on excellent authority these work well off-road ;)
Sika products are the best PU caulks and sealants there is.Personally  IF I were to use any it would be the NP-1. I wouldn't use it but IF I were to..........well let's just say that shit will stick anything together. Problem is with any of the moisture cure Sika products is that they will take about 2 days minimum to cure. Till then it will act as a lube.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 06:53:59 AM by Masterfabr »
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal