Author Topic: Paddles and PSI Preference?  (Read 8545 times)

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
Re: Paddles and PSI Preference?
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2009, 01:25:06 PM »
You can also have your wheels turned into beadlocks for fairly cheap. there is a guy here in san diego that does them installed for $50 a wheel

I will look into going this direction some more. I would really like to keep my Centerlines  :) Do you have a name for the guy?
"If the hate of men could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world."   ~Nikola Tesla

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2009, 01:36:31 PM »
Ahh dont worry my friend. I am bringing enough parts to rebuild any corner of the buggy if I have a misshap. I never needed spare parts but this will be the furthest travel so I hate to need somthing and not have it.

Extra parts include and not limited to...
-full CVs, boots, and axles
-Chain , masters (2), various front sprockets
-Rear tire and rim
-misc hardware galore
-rodends and spacers galore
-steering rack
-full set of A-arms for all 4 corners
-shift and throttle cables
-fully assembled uprights for all 4 corners with brakes
-center drive unit
-tierods & boots
-shocks for all 4 corners

I know I have more packed but cant remember it all.
Did I leave anything out?

Just FYI its not that I dont have faith in my machine. Accidents do happen.

Odds are you will see it run on Friday!

So how much for that complete car kit to be left at my house on the way home?  Sounds like a motor and frame short of a test drive.  ;D

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2009, 01:44:14 PM »
http://www.staunproducts.com/beadlock.php

I think the Aussies have the best idea on this!  Stealth beadlocks.  Any idea what they cost?  The USA link on their site wouldn't work for me.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2009, 06:05:32 PM »
I will look into going this direction some more. I would really like to keep my Centerlines  :) Do you have a name for the guy?
Fullerton tires will convert for you, Champion will convert also.There's quite a few places that do it.Google it up.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2009, 06:12:49 PM »
I find it a bit amusing that in all this talk about how much psi to run that no one ,not even engineer, has said a thing about the importance  tire size and the buggy weight in determining what is right.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Admin

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2009, 06:30:30 PM »
I am curious to those specs fabber, I see yoshi say many times he ran 31" tires for safety reasons, IMO smaller rubber larger wheel is always safest, Less sidewall Squish, What is your opinion there fabber, I have yet to see any guidelines on tire size for sand rails...

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2009, 08:48:00 PM »
I'm running 31" also.I don't see any safety advantage tho.Wheel size IMO is dependent on what size buggy you're building and use.  What I was getting at tho is that 5# in a 12"x31" 15" wheel tire will support substantially more than a 8x25x12"wheel will also at 5#.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2009, 10:28:00 PM »
I find it a bit amusing that in all this talk about how much psi to run that no one ,not even engineer, has said a thing about the importance  tire size and the buggy weight in determining what is right.

I have nothing to add, because I have no significant experience with larger than quad paddles.  I would definately agree though that different weight's, power level's and driving preferences are going to change the number.

Also, your gauge probably reads different that anyone else's in the 10 lb area.  When drag racing I noticed this, even with the "good" 0-20 psi gauges, they could be off a pound or two from the next guys, so trading tire pressure info was worthless IMO.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2009, 05:48:16 AM »
Well then ,let's discuss what the purpose is in "airing down" and maybe that will make it clear why what is right for one buggy is too much/too little air pressure for another.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Admin

« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2009, 06:48:08 AM »
Yes i am uncertain why 5lbs in one tire will support more than 5lbs in another... Seems to me 5lbs in a smaller tire would support more than in a larger tire...

SPEC

« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2009, 06:54:13 AM »
I think sidewall construction plays a major role in how much or little air you put in them, I think alot of paddles are constructed to do the wrinkle wall...IE..drag slicks.
Where the ones I buy have a little stiffer side wall cuz I run them on the trails and in the winter too

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2009, 07:46:42 AM »
I'm with Engineer on this one, most my experience is with quads and drag bike slicks..Last trip down I had to run 20psi + to keep from blowing the beads off in a straight line. I had some "interesting"  ::) landings a few times and the bead stayed put. In the wet sand it worked out ok, but when everything dried out, I lost all traction with the psi so high.. So knowing that rim screws work on 6 second drag cars on the outside rim only, and bead locks only lock the outside of the rim, I figured this might work out.. I like turning myself into a lab-rat!!! ;D
"If the hate of men could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world."   ~Nikola Tesla

Offline Yoshi

« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2009, 08:06:06 AM »
basic rule of thumb is you can air down until you start to see the sidewalls wrinkle a little bit, this will solve the problem of going off a universal psi number, and what i've done in the dunes when I had to air down and didn't have a gauge handy........

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2009, 09:25:22 AM »
basic rule of thumb is you can air down until you start to see the sidewalls wrinkle a little bit, this will solve the problem of going off a universal psi number, and what i've done in the dunes when I had to air down and didn't have a gauge handy........

+1

I'm with Engineer on this one, most my experience is with quads and drag bike slicks..Last trip down I had to run 20psi + to keep from blowing the beads off in a straight line. I had some "interesting"  ::) landings a few times and the bead stayed put. In the wet sand it worked out ok, but when everything dried out, I lost all traction with the psi so high.. So knowing that rim screws work on 6 second drag cars on the outside rim only, and bead locks only lock the outside of the rim, I figured this might work out.. I like turning myself into a lab-rat!!! ;D

Hold on there a minute, who said anything about screws on one side on a drag car?  I have always seen them inside and outside.  And every drag race beadlock is both sides.

On sand cars, I don't know about high horsepower, but I believe that the main reason for a single beadlock on the outside is to keep from rolling the tire off the rim when turning and digging in.  Because the weight is transfered to the outside, that is the side that is in jepoardy.  It would be much less likely to knock off an inside bead.  IMO that, and the cool look of beadlocks is why they are outside only on many sand applications.

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2009, 09:31:07 AM »
+1

Hold on there a minute, who said anything about screws on one side on a drag car?  I have always seen them inside and outside.  And every drag race beadlock is both sides.

On sand cars, I don't know about high horsepower, but I believe that the main reason for a single beadlock on the outside is to keep from rolling the tire off the rim when turning and digging in.  Because the weight is transfered to the outside, that is the side that is in jepoardy.  It would be much less likely to knock off an inside bead.  IMO that, and the cool look of beadlocks is why they are outside only on many sand applications.

I'm seeing more and more of the big boy V8 car's running beadlocks on the inside and outside now.  Getting to high in the air on the jumping now.  3000LB car 15 20 feet in the air.  Can only imagine how much pressure rise is taking place in the tires when it hits the ground.

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal