Author Topic: Paddles and PSI Preference?  (Read 8542 times)

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
Paddles and PSI Preference?
« on: April 03, 2009, 10:12:34 PM »
How many PSI do you guys like to run in your paddles and why? I'm still a bit up in the air on my final decision. I've been used to paddles behind a wicked Banshee for the last 20 years so the car is a different feel. Last time out to the dunes, I had to run more and more pressure to keep the beads from blowing off the rims. I started with 14psi and it felt great. When I got to 24psi (it was necessary!) I lost tons of traction. So now I have added rim screws to keep the rim to bead relationship happy ;) (worked for me on the drag stuff) SO where should I start? I'm thinking 15psi. ???

Rims-15x9 Centerline Convo-Pro
Tire-15x11 Sand Viper
PSI- ??
"If the hate of men could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world."   ~Nikola Tesla

Admin

Re: Paddles and PSI Preference?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 10:14:05 PM »
Id think about some beadlocks, even 15 psi with a huge tire will roll off the bead... Maybe the screws will work... Be safe whatever you do...

SPEC

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 11:22:13 PM »
I'm with Bug,
I run alot smaller paddles... 22" at 12 psi with Beadlocks...
Rim screws are great for straight line ...But the side loads on the dunes and powersliding the screws won't hold, and end up damaging the bead on the tire when they peel off

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 06:39:27 AM »
But some beadlocks. Spec and bug have it right. Screws are only for drag race use.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Yoshi

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 06:42:21 AM »
I run about 8-9 psi, but beadlocks are standard for anything I build (and from what i've heard abut your rail, you should too, lol).  Lower psi gives more traction and a softer ride.....

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 12:25:01 PM »
powersliding the screws won't hold

Not a problem there with this worthless open diff BS!! Hence the reason I am running screws this trip ;) WHEN the rear of this car gets locked up, I will be switching to beadlocks. Just curious of the lowest psi I can get away with. Thanks Yoshi, I will start around there. :)
"If the hate of men could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world."   ~Nikola Tesla

Admin

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 12:30:06 PM »
Not a problem there with this worthless open diff BS!! Hence the reason I am running screws this trip ;) WHEN the rear of this car gets locked up, I will be switching to beadlocks. Just curious of the lowest psi I can get away with. Thanks Yoshi, I will start around there. :)

Well you can get away with the lowest psi before the tire dismounts anyways, does that answer your question?  ;D

Offline Doug Heim

• Bad @$$ Buggy Builder & Parts Supplier
  • Forum Sponsor
    • Doug Heim's Photo Bucket
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2009, 02:40:51 PM »
I run 6 psi with my bead locks. Is that too soft?

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2009, 03:12:58 PM »
You can also have your wheels turned into beadlocks for fairly cheap. there is a guy here in san diego that does them installed for $50 a wheel
Its better to be a smartass than a dumbass!

Admin

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2009, 03:32:47 PM »
I run 6 psi with my bead locks. Is that too soft?

6 psi, hell i run 3 non beadlock on atv rims...

Offline Yoshi

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2009, 08:50:09 PM »
I've run them as low as 5 psi, but wasn't to fond of the body roll, so I usually don't run less than 7 or 8 now.....

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2009, 01:08:45 AM »
Whatever you decide, please make sure I can still see it run on Friday when I show up. ;D

Most of the beadlocks are only on the outside anyways, so if the inner bead slipped you could tear up a tire.  Expensive wheels in your future.

I don't want a turbo.  I don't want a turbo.  I don't want a turbo.  I don't want a turbo.  I don't want a turbo.  I don't want a turbo.  I don't want a turbo.  I don't want a turbo.  I don't want a turbo.  I don't want a turbo.  I don't want a turbo.  I don't want a turbo.  I don't want a turbo.  I don't want a turbo.  I don't want a turbo.  I don't want a turbo.  I don't want a turbo.  I don't want a turbo.  I don't want a turbo.  I don't want a turbo.  I don't want a turbo.  I don't want a turbo.  I don't want a turbo.  I don't want a turbo.  I don't want a turbo.  I don't want a turbo.  I don't want a turbo.  I don't want a turbo.  I don't want a turbo.  I don't want a turbo.  I don't want a turbo.  I don't want a turbo.  I don't want a turbo.  I don't want a turbo.  I don't want a turbo.  I don't want a turbo.  I don't want a turbo.  I don't want a turbo.  I don't want a turbo.  I don't want a turbo.  I don't want a turbo.  I don't want a turbo.  I don't want a turbo.  I don't want a turbo.  I don't want a turbo.  I don't want a turbo.  I don't want a turbo.  I don't want a turbo.  I don't want a turbo.  I don't want a turbo.  I don't want a turbo.  I don't want a turbo.  I don't want a turbo.  I don't want a turbo.  I don't want a turbo.  I don't want a turbo.  I don't want a turbo.  I don't want a turbo.  I don't want a turbo.  I don't want a turbo.  I don't want a turbo.  I don't want a turbo.  I don't want a turbo.  I don't want a turbo.

It's no use.....  I still want a turbo!  ;D  At least get us some video's  ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 01:19:02 AM by Engineer »

Offline Doug Heim

• Bad @$$ Buggy Builder & Parts Supplier
  • Forum Sponsor
    • Doug Heim's Photo Bucket
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2009, 08:04:48 AM »
Ahh dont worry my friend. I am bringing enough parts to rebuild any corner of the buggy if I have a misshap. I never needed spare parts but this will be the furthest travel so I hate to need somthing and not have it.

Extra parts include and not limited to...
-full CVs, boots, and axles
-Chain , masters (2), various front sprockets
-Rear tire and rim
-misc hardware galore
-rodends and spacers galore
-steering rack
-full set of A-arms for all 4 corners
-shift and throttle cables
-fully assembled uprights for all 4 corners with brakes
-center drive unit
-tierods & boots
-shocks for all 4 corners

I know I have more packed but cant remember it all.
Did I leave anything out?

Just FYI its not that I dont have faith in my machine. Accidents do happen.

Odds are you will see it run on Friday!

trojan

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2009, 12:53:19 PM »

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2009, 01:18:01 PM »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal