Author Topic: buggy plans  (Read 3924 times)

Offline Boostinjdm

Re: buggy plans
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2009, 06:37:56 PM »
you said spell check didn't work so I got curious and googled it.  And holy cow, let's just say you ain't the first to get it wrong. ;D
This post has been edited due to content.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2009, 10:45:36 PM »
Complete details for the lengths and notching of every tube.
Too many plans out there don't give all of the dimensions required to build the frame without fussing and grinding everything at assembly.
The bent tubing should be dimensioned to the intersections of the centerlines so that the builder can lay them out himself. The tangents and your preferred radius can be dimensioned and shown, but chances are the builder will not have the die you specify. Tips on bending would help too. Dxf's of the bent tubing would also be helpfull. I run full size plots of all my tubes and check the bends against them.
I'm sure I can think of a lot more. I've been designing & drawing  plans full time for over 25 years.

thanks rick, this is the info I was looking for. about 10 years ago I bought a set of piranha ( spelling ) plans from the edge but after I started changing the design to suit the terrain I would be running on    ( sand and dirt primarily ), it was just easier to design my own. I do know that the plans were pretty good but were lacking in some aspects, that could be figured out fairly easily by most. I did have the chance to view another set of plans a couple of years ago but they were so vague and incomplete I personally believe they were drawn with the intent to sell the builder most of the parts.

all of my dwg prints will include, fully dimensioned prints including all intersection / connecting points and clr's. there would be no way to build with out this info IMO. maybe I am off on this one but if I know the angle at which the tube intersects at the connecting point, I know what angle to cut the saddle to. is there another way people need to understand this? I am also considering including a cd containing the dxf's for the parts that will need to be lazer cut or machined by a machine shop.

I do plan on including some helpful tips on tube bending as well as what cheaper tools will work for the garage builder.

rick what kind of info do people need on motor mounts? keep in mind they will not all be using the same motor. this is a question I am stuck on. yes I do know very few will build to spec. ( specification not spec the pickle king )  ;D

« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 10:51:27 PM by Dsrace »
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2009, 10:54:16 PM »
If your goung to supply full DXF / DWG files then as long as the builder knows and has a CAD station then they can pull any dimentions they want. The notching as Rick stated would be sweet!

cad would be very helpful to all but not eveyone has or knows how to use it. the reason for this post is to find out what people are looking for in buggy plans primarily on a garage builders veiw. don't get me wrong I do appreciate all the input from everyone.
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2009, 11:00:36 PM »
To me, this would be a great addition to the plans. After watching you bend up one car, I was amazed at how fast it can be done with simple measurements and tools.

I would also add a tips and tricks section. I wont go into detail cause everyone has that "little something" that they came up with to do something quick and efficiently.. Just too many YOU could list DS. Just keep it simple.. Give the masses the basics though. Like the simple "Gawl damn, you made that alot easier!!!" I learned from you when you built my car. That shit is golden bud..

thanks, but I didn't build the whole rail, the finish work and electronics were all you! your rail is one of a kind and it will stay that way. I won't be including plans for a dual h-arm or dual a-arm or hiv arm ( inside joke  ;) ;) ) rear end.  not until that rear end design has atleast 2 years real world testing with you behind the wheel!! 

that is a good suggestion and I will add a tips and tricks section but I won't give up all my secrets, people need to figure some things out on their own to make it their own! 
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 11:02:21 PM by Dsrace »

Rick S.

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2009, 10:17:06 AM »
For motor mounting I would include dxf's & mount dimensions for the motors that I have mounted in my personal builds. For me that would be the RC51 and CBR954. Pictures for those as well. These would be a pretty good reference for any motor.

trojan

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2009, 11:31:32 AM »
For the motor I would just detail the procedure of doing/making them.
eg:
turn up the mount points (show pic of idea).
sit the engine in place and attach the turned mounts.
triangulate each one to the frame with 20mm tube.
etc

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2009, 05:45:27 PM »
For motor mounting I would include dxf's & mount dimensions for the motors that I have mounted in my personal builds. For me that would be the RC51 and CBR954. Pictures for those as well. These would be a pretty good reference for any motor.

trojan   Rick S     thanks for the info guys but I believe I will just include some photo's how other mounts were done with some basic info and leave that up to the builder. basically a set of plans for full roller, spool to wheels and steering wheel to wheels.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal