Author Topic: buggy plans  (Read 3923 times)

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
buggy plans
« on: March 08, 2009, 01:39:44 PM »
Ok I am looking for some input. I have been working on putting together full cad prints to sell as buggy plans for a couple of years now, just haven't worked at it to hard. Now that I don't build turnkey anymore, I have the time to finish it. the plans will include cad prints of chassis as well as the front suspension cradle, suspension, spindle, rear 5 link suspension ( set up for cv's not u-joints since that seems to be preferance ), prints of the wheel bearing carriers that one could have laser cut to make themselves or buy them and a print of the rear drive spool parts to have laser cut to make themselves or just buy them.

before I offer anything plans I want to make sure they are complete, so am I missing anything or what would all of you like to see in a set of plans?
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
Re: buggy plans
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 02:42:59 PM »
Removeable engine/tranny (or cassette or spool) subframe.  Something any joe with an engine lift (or common hoist) could pull out the top or the rear.
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 02:57:35 PM »
Removeable engine/tranny (or cassette or spool) subframe.  Something any joe with an engine lift (or common hoist) could pull out the top or the rear.

do you mean a subframe with the engine-rear spool attached that is removable as one assembly?

the way I have it set now the spool will unbolt and pull up through the top ( light no need for cherry picker ) and the motor will unbolt and pull through the top but I wasn't planning on full specs for one particular motor since not everyone use's the same engines. Imo the motors are one of the easiest components to set. I guess I will have to include specs for one motor or nothing at all and leave it up to the builder or include pics from other builds as a guide, haven't decided yet.          any opinions?
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

SandDragon

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 02:58:10 PM »
Hello dsrace my name is Randy I created the sanddragondesign buggy prints. I wanted to build a mini buggy at first but after looking into several several set of prints that were out there for sale with nothing on the rear drive housing it made more sence for me to go VW it was alot cheaper. I would be willing to help you in the design of your mini buggy rear end and anything else you need. I'm not looking to get rich but I would like to be a part of your design project, that is what I do, that is what I know, that is what I'm here for. You can see the progress of my buggy at www.photobucket.com/sand-dragon-design I just added new pictures of how the rear end is going in. I should be getting in everything in next week to finish the buggy with the exception of my axles and bearing kits I'll have to see how long my axles need to be first. I can be reached at sanddragondesign@yahoo.com

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 03:17:31 PM »
Yes so that the motor and tranny can be removed as one was what I meant. Even if they can be easily doe sepratly then thats good too. To many I have seen are nitemares to get into work on and even worse to get the motors out if need be.

I like Sanddragons buggy and his work I just do not like older style VW trannies to much. Its just my feelings on them and to the people who like them great. Just not my thing anymore. By the time you spend the money to get a GOOD one you are not that far off a Jeffco or an RPM for my tastes.

But a removeable subframe would allow you to simply have differtn subframes for those who DO wish to use a VW like Sanddragon does or a different subframe for a Jeffco or a spool or what have you.

Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 03:21:17 PM »
Hello dsrace my name is Randy I created the sanddragondesign buggy prints. I wanted to build a mini buggy at first but after looking into several several set of prints that were out there for sale with nothing on the rear drive housing it made more sence for me to go VW it was alot cheaper. I would be willing to help you in the design of your mini buggy rear end and anything else you need. I'm not looking to get rich but I would like to be a part of your design project, that is what I do, that is what I know, that is what I'm here for. You can see the progress of my buggy at www.photobucket.com/sand-dragon-design I just added new pictures of how the rear end is going in. I should be getting in everything in next week to finish the buggy with the exception of my axles and bearing kits I'll have to see how long my axles need to be first. I can be reached at sanddragondesign@yahoo.com

randy I saw the pics on photo bucket, looks like you moving right along.

I am not designing a new rail but assembling plans from an existing design. you can check out some of the older models I've built at www.dandsracing.com that is my web site, although I haven't added any pics in quite some time the newer design can be seen on this site. enemy owns the mini and I have the v-6 rail. I am not making prints for the v-6 rail.   I do already have a rear spool design that unbolts and is adjustable ( no idler sprockets ) I am just asking what it is that the majority wants in a set of plans. I am including in my plans, cad prints that can be taken to a machine shop to have them lazer cut or machined locally, or they could just buy them. I figured most would pre-fer the full experience of their own build.

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 03:29:25 PM »
I guess I should add that I favor sled and motor cycle powered units than car engines. So a removeable subframe is easier for that to me than a car motored unit.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 03:34:21 PM »
Yes so that the motor and tranny can be removed as one was what I meant. Even if they can be easily doe sepratly then thats good too. To many I have seen are nitemares to get into work on and even worse to get the motors out if need be.

I like Sanddragons buggy and his work I just do not like older style VW trannies to much. Its just my feelings on them and to the people who like them great. Just not my thing anymore. By the time you spend the money to get a GOOD one you are not that far off a Jeffco or an RPM for my tastes.

But a removeable subframe would allow you to simply have differtn subframes for those who DO wish to use a VW like Sanddragon does or a different subframe for a Jeffco or a spool or what have you.

I do agree with you and some time ago I started on building a unboltable sub frame but just didn't like the idea of bolts coming loose, even the best one can! you are right though by the time you buy a good center spool you aren't far off from the cheaper jeffco (live rear ) or rpm or even a stak rev box. this is why I am including cad prints in the plans that can be taken to a machine shop ( if they don't have the equipment ) to have the side plates lazer cut and the housing machined. this way they could make a cheap jig them selves, assemble and weld the unit to save a little money. I will keep certain parts on the shelf in case they would rather buy them. I still haven't gotten a reply from stak about their box's. I do have the jig for the busa to jeffco      ( diff box ) that I made for enemy's rail, I have been tossing around the idea of having this duplicated into disposable ones to sell to those that want to use the busa jeffco combo, with my plans.

I do appreciate the input! when I do offer a set of plans I want them to be as complete as possible!

Rick S.

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2009, 04:42:06 PM »
Complete details for the lengths and notching of every tube.
Too many plans out there don't give all of the dimensions required to build the frame without fussing and grinding everything at assembly.
The bent tubing should be dimensioned to the intersections of the centerlines so that the builder can lay them out himself. The tangents and your preferred radius can be dimensioned and shown, but chances are the builder will not have the die you specify. Tips on bending would help too. Dxf's of the bent tubing would also be helpfull. I run full size plots of all my tubes and check the bends against them.
I'm sure I can think of a lot more. I've been designing & drawing  plans full time for over 25 years.

Offline Doug Heim

• Bad @$$ Buggy Builder & Parts Supplier
  • Forum Sponsor
    • Doug Heim's Photo Bucket
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2009, 04:55:38 PM »
If your goung to supply full DXF / DWG files then as long as the builder knows and has a CAD station then they can pull any dimentions they want. The notching as Rick stated would be sweet!

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2009, 05:21:32 PM »
Tips on bending would help too.

To me, this would be a great addition to the plans. After watching you bend up one car, I was amazed at how fast it can be done with simple measurements and tools.

I would also add a tips and tricks section. I wont go into detail cause everyone has that "little something" that they came up with to do something quick and efficiently.. Just too many YOU could list DS. Just keep it simple.. Give the masses the basics though. Like the simple "Gawl damn, you made that alot easier!!!" I learned from you when you built my car. That shit is golden bud..
"If the hate of men could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world."   ~Nikola Tesla

Offline Doug Heim

• Forum Sponsor
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2009, 05:28:32 PM »
In the plans you should also add the DTSFAB web site in every page for advertising the site where builders can post pics and ask tips for building!

SandDragon

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2009, 05:37:49 PM »
I never thought about it but if you use AutoCad or Inventon as your Cad tool you could always save you drawings as Dwf files and the viewer is a free down load from Autodesk and that will let you print and take your own mesurements. Well now I may have just have to add those to my plans. Thanks for the complaments about my buggy I really wish I new more about mini buggy I think they would be alot of fun. dsrace I have looked at your web site, very nice buggies. My hats off to anyone who can afford to out buy a factory buggy but I belive the way the aconamie has turned we are going to see more people trying to build there own buggies.

Offline Doug Heim

• Forum Sponsor
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2009, 05:46:28 PM »
I never thought about it but if you use AutoCad or Inventon as your Cad tool you could always save you drawings as Dwf files and the viewer is a free down load from Autodesk and that will let you print and take your own mesurements. Well now I may have just have to add those to my plans. Thanks for the complaments about my buggy I really wish I new more about mini buggy I think they would be alot of fun. dsrace I have looked at your web site, very nice buggies. My hats off to anyone who can afford to out buy a factory buggy but I belive the way the aconamie has turned we are going to see more people trying to build there own buggies.

;D Sorry I cant help it. I know Im probably the worst speller here. But if you sound it out as you have spelled it. well that looks good enough to me  ;D

SandDragon

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2009, 06:31:56 PM »
Oh well spell check didn't work for me that time did it.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal