Author Topic: Spider Monkey's New Dash ~n~ Body Work =)  (Read 20319 times)

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
Re: Spider Monkey's New Dash ~n~ Body Work =)
« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2011, 09:30:24 PM »
Sorry for the late replies, my "Show unread posts" button doesn't seem to work the greatest these days  thumb down

That is a trick buggy! Do you stick to the dunes mostly? Just wondering how well it stops without front brakes. I had a rail that was scary as hell without the front brakes, but it was VW and much heavier. Who makes the chassis? I really dig that design!
Thanks for the kind words Komelika!
 I play in the dirt mostly. It has been seeing some pavement time as well so a front brake set-up is definitely in the works. It stops rather well for only having rears ...but, if I ever had to shut it down in a hurry...well that's a different story and thankfully hasn't happened on the pavement. In the sand it shuts down very well. Gunna be much safer in every situation with front brakes regardless and that's what matters the most. T Man is correct! DS does do damn fine work. His brain is never shutting down from coming up with more ideas either! His skills and input has been the most valuable to me as a guy getting into his first car build

You should have pm'd me I would have loved to have shown you around Maui! Did you make it to Hana?
Joe
Hey Joe!
DAMN I wish I would of though of posting up that I was going to get some input of the place and we could of meet up! That would've been awesome. Unfortunately we only had 2 full days to spend so we packed in as many sites as we could. We just rented a jeep and just took it all in. I need an entire week there! Already thinking about booking my flight for next winter. So much more to do... What an experience.. Absolutely beautiful there.
 Next time I want to hit all the little islands when the whales come back. bounce

And I did get a little bit done on the car so I got some more pics coming up. The rest of the LEDs for the front show up tomorrow. Since I designed the hood lighting around the VisionX 8" Xmitter, I'm gunna stick with them up front. On the roof, Im gunna go with the 30" from RC51 Rhino when the time comes. I found a much better deal on the 8" as well ($270) so some of the sting went away!

I also came across an HID driving lamp housing from a 2011 Toyota Venza with the guts still in it. (One mans trash is another mans treasure!  ;D ;D ..Newbie insurance adjuster... ;D ;D) I have some ideas for it for my low beam

Ever seen what a $200 light bulb looks like?

"Don't Taze me Bro!"  rofl

Hoping to find one more someday and double them up in this location, but for now I'm gunna center it behind the Skid plate

"If the hate of men could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world."   ~Nikola Tesla

Offline ace

• "project storage expert"
  • Grunt worker
« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2011, 10:00:25 PM »
Hey man glad you had a good time!
It's an open invite, anytime...
Aloha, Joe

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #62 on: January 12, 2011, 10:21:23 PM »
Hey man glad you had a good time!
It's an open invite, anytime...
Aloha, Joe
Thanks again Joe! I hope to take you up on the offer next Winter!
"If the hate of men could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world."   ~Nikola Tesla

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #63 on: January 14, 2011, 08:10:36 AM »
Hey Cyclops, any Idea how many amps that light pulls?  rofl

J/K  That light looks like a great oem find.  The light bucket isn't a complete cluster ----.

Have you ever had any problems with lights pulling more juice than the Busa makes?  Do you run the 40amp regulator?  How big of a battery?

Are you going for the Hi-Low beam for Highway driving or will it be usefull in the dunes as well?

I always use the "recent topics" button but if you get more than a few days behind your lost.

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #64 on: January 14, 2011, 09:19:18 AM »
Not sure of the amp draw yet, hoping no more (hopefully less) than other HID (3-5 on startup) I run the +10 amp reg from Ricks Electric with an Optima red top. With all the inefficient POS Trail-Tech Hid's I had up front before, I got by with the charging system keeping up (barely). Now I will be running less physical lighting with the 3 LED's with more output on less power use. Im really trying to avoid going to an alternator set-up. I think it will be useful in the dunes, but more intended for a road/camp low beam. I will report more when I get them all wired up!

Cyclops out  ;D

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #65 on: January 14, 2011, 12:43:52 PM »
That will be sweet.  Thanks for the info!  ;D

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #66 on: January 31, 2011, 08:46:19 PM »
The weather around these parts is some wicked nasty shit this year! Good grief, another blast of ice all day with blizzard conditions tonight... Gunna be slammed at work so I figure I should get some pics up before our shop is put on friggin "Lock Down" and I disappear from social existence till summer..thumb down..But, gotta take it while we got it!

I finally finished up the rough hood and light pockets along with an idea for storage. Not sure how in the hell to do a latch system or something just to keep it shut in general though ...Pondered the use of the Hayabusa seat latch, but I dont think one would be enough to pull it down tight and sealed. Duzus (spelling  ???) fasteners?. Kinda prefer a clean look here. How flush can those be mounted?? Gotta figure this out before I can build the storage tray.
Any thoughts guys?

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: January 31, 2011, 09:03:25 PM »
You're going to have some monstrous shadows with the lights mounted there aren't you? I see you liked the idea of a trunk  ,huh?
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #68 on: February 01, 2011, 06:25:21 AM »
SWEEEEET!!!     This alum work is making me sick, I may have to go back to the drawing board.  So those light will lightup off to ea side and I see another tucked in front.  Then cyclops for a night lite. 
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #69 on: February 01, 2011, 06:49:22 AM »
Thanks Carl! The lights in the pockets are Floods. In the garage they don't cast shadows to the sides and I can swivel them out to point directly sideways. Wanted them mainly for lighting up the ditches. Not really intended for forward lighting since I will have the light bar on top for that. Loved the trunk idea when I saw your car Fabr! Just damn convenient!

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #70 on: February 01, 2011, 08:32:02 AM »
Looking great Enemy!  Your really knocking the aluminum out!

Since you showed your front trunk, I guess I am stealing the idea from you <> Fabr <> Yoshi <> Some German guy working for VW.

trans man

« Reply #71 on: February 01, 2011, 09:00:07 AM »
NICE!!!! :u :u :u That's really starting to come together. 

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #72 on: February 01, 2011, 05:07:03 PM »

I finally finished up the rough hood and light pockets along with an idea for storage. Not sure how in the hell to do a latch system or something just to keep it shut in general though ...Pondered the use of the Hayabusa seat latch, but I dont think one would be enough to pull it down tight and sealed. Duzus (spelling  ???) fasteners?. Kinda prefer a clean look here. How flush can those be mounted?? Gotta figure this out before I can build the storage tray.
Any thoughts guys?

http://www.mcmaster.com/#1653a213/=auldzy

This is what I will be using.  Their picture isn't great, but it is almost completely flush when closed except for the width of the flange.  The catch has a screw that you can just adjust down until your closed clamping force is exactly what you want.  The downside is that you have to cut a rectangular hole for it to drop through, but that isn't to difficult in aluminum.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #73 on: February 01, 2011, 05:16:29 PM »
Wish I'd have known. I have a couple of those somewhere but decided not to use. If you haven't ordered them yet I'll look tomorrow if I can get to the shop that is.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #74 on: February 01, 2011, 06:10:30 PM »
Why is it that I can never remember to check out McMaster when I'm looking for shit like that!
My brother cant beat that into my skull either...He uses them everyday. 

Anyway, THANK YOU ENG!  Those are a great idea!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal