Author Topic: Spider Monkey's New Dash ~n~ Body Work =)  (Read 20318 times)

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
Spider Monkey's New Dash ~n~ Body Work =)
« on: November 01, 2010, 09:28:53 PM »
Hey all!
OK, so I am finding some time (..more like ambition) to get back to work on the dash and bodywork I have planned out for the car and thought I better get posted up what I have got going on so far and get some input, cause I've got quite a ways to go yet.. drowning

First of all, I need to "Flip the 'ole Bird" to Mr Fabr for forcing me to go through with this... After I sat in his car with full dash and bodywork, and enjoyed how more a part of the car you feel, I knew I had to come up with something... Damn you fabr!  :-* Nah really, thanks for the inspiration my friend!

My welding skills have a long way to go when it comes to aluminum, so don't laugh toooo hard when you see some of the chicken-poop welds I sometimes (always  ;D ) create. Im using a Miller Spool-a-matic connected to my Miller 140 mig. I does a pretty decent job for panel construction such as this. Although, I have since acquired a Miller Syncrowave 200  ;D ;D ;D AND I will definitely be needing some of yall's expert advice in getting started, because I'm a complete TIG virgin  5:

Started out by building the design out of cardboard templates..Happy cutting  :laugh:.. thumb down

Basic design figured out...James T Kirk is gunna be soo proud!   ;D

Land and Home owner checking my work.. eyes

Out in one piece [sigh of relief]

I have a few goals in mind to meet with this particular layout. First, I had to get the gauges off the floor and in my face. Its getting a bit difficult to keep track of the vitals of this car the faster it gets. Not a bad problem to have IMO  ;) Second I wanted to help tunnel more air to my intercooler since I will soon be moving a radiator up there as well to solve my minor cooling issues. Third I wanted to keep the wind from blasting me right in the eye. Hopefully it will also help clean up my rats-nest of a wiring harness I currently have stuffed in the old gauge cluster. (Scary shit...) Plenty of room as well for my old Garmin (Speedometer and Max Speed!) and a couple more switches for the lighting upgrades I have planed. Gunna be a busy winter!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 10:03:59 PM by Enemy »
"If the hate of men could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world."   ~Nikola Tesla

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
Re: Spider Monkey's New Dash ~n~ Body Work =)
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 09:36:30 PM »
That CAD looks great!  Are you gonna start laying the glass right onto it? ;D

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 09:41:02 PM »
Gee,I'm sorry.Looking good tho!!!!!
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 09:50:14 PM »
That CAD looks great!  Are you gonna start laying the glass right onto it? ;D

The thought crossed my mind and the other voices in my head!  ;D

I transferred all the measurements of the new cardboard dash  to construction cardboard (modifying as needed) then to aluminum. More cutting.. fun fun!

Main-Plate cut bent and mounted. Gauge plate getting mocked up. If the gauge layout doesn't work out or I want to add more gauges, with some cutting I should be able to use the current structure as a mount for a new bezel. That will make changing designs pretty simple I think

My view!
"If the hate of men could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world."   ~Nikola Tesla

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 09:56:58 PM »
A few more!

Should make for some easy wiring access with the hoods removed

Transferring to the passenger side

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 10:19:59 PM »
Sweet!

How are you cutting and bending all of that?

SPEC

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 04:07:05 AM »
That's awesome enemy ;D
I lke the concept and the lines of it

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 06:11:43 AM »
Sweet!

How are you cutting and bending all of that?

Thanks guys!
I'm using a BI-metal blade blade in a Jigsaw for the cutting.  Slow going on setup and cutting but its getting the job done. For bending I'm using a $45 bench mounted brake from Speedway motors. Takes a little bit of time to get the aluminum clamped in the brake exactly where ya want the bend, but I'm improving. Thankfully I have enough scrap laying around to destroy first!
I have a mountain of pics to organize, so I will get more up tonight

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2010, 06:30:55 AM »
Holly sh*$t Batman you must have lots of room in the Batcave to work on the mobile.  You got robbin helping on the job.  You'll have to paint that thing black when you get done with that dash.  We'll have to see ifen we can find a nice little J8 APU to power it up.   rofl.

Na just pulling your chain this morning.  Looking real good Spider Monkey.  And for the books.  Just weld the back side of the coroners on that alli and it will be easier to clean up. The bead will soke Thu to the front and will be allot nicer to smooth out. 

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline Reidy02

• VIP
  • What goes around comes around!
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2010, 06:34:51 AM »
Looks cool and ya just need some practice with ya welding is all! ;)
VTR 1000 CUDA on the way.. What goes around comes around!!

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2010, 06:36:22 AM »
Just be careful of shrinkage and distortion when doing that much welding of "unsupported" pieces like that. It will move more than a person thinks. Short welds and plenty of cool time between.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2010, 06:41:10 AM »
Sweeeet to see the the CAD.  I saw it roughed in at LS and droooled at it.  It makes the buggy look fast as hell, before you even get it. NICE!!
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

SPEC

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2010, 06:49:07 AM »
 rofl LMAO rofl
SPIDER MONKEY

Offline Doug Heim

• Bad @$$ Buggy Builder & Parts Supplier
  • Forum Sponsor
    • Doug Heim's Photo Bucket
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2010, 12:07:17 PM »
where is the sailors / squirt holder?

Looks sweet ass!

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2010, 07:22:45 PM »
he has done a damn nice job and enemy, sorry but I forgot to tell you how to shear those small pieces in the brake rather than the jig saw. it far far quicker, I do it all the time in mine.
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal