Author Topic: Check um out  (Read 3804 times)

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
Check um out
« on: March 13, 2009, 12:35:29 PM »
   Got bored.  Things are slow in the shop last few days so got my rear in gear and built some neat seat belt hangers.  Built them so you could mount them on a cross bar on the top cage right next to the tin. Ifen your like me I hate taken off my shoulder belts and having no place to put them.  Your always having to dig them out form under your ass when you get in your car or they are chiping up your powder coat when you take them off. 

Would you guys believe that all it took was a couple of hack saw blades and file to get them done!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ::) ::) ::)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 12:38:34 PM by fastcorvairs »

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

trojan

Re: Check um out
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2009, 12:37:58 PM »
WOW! Did you make em out of "transparent aluminum"?

trojan

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 12:41:19 PM »
Hey editing your post is cheating ;D

I was right the first time... WOW!!

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 12:44:23 PM »
WOW! Did you make em out of "transparent aluminum"?

Damm caught me.

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2009, 12:48:24 PM »
 Would you guys believe that all it took was a couple of hack saw blades and file to get them done

NO!!

You had to of buff to that fine shine with spit too. :o
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 12:51:33 PM »
Would you guys believe that all it took was a couple of hack saw blades and file to get them done

NO!!

You had to of buff to that fine shine with spit too. :o

You got me there.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 02:08:22 PM »
Those are COOL!!! but hacksaw my ass! ;D ;D ::) You need to cut loose on details! I'd like a pair for myself maybe.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 03:52:35 PM »
Those look nice Corvair!  Kudos to the polisher as well!  It looks like they are even polished in the cutouts!  Or is that because you used an extra fine file to make them? ::)  Do you have a secret you want to let us in on, on the polishing?  We used to polish gobs of aluminum so I have the sanders and buffers, but we outsource it all now.  I am always looking for a better way.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 03:59:04 PM »
Chem polished or vibratory?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 04:03:51 PM by Masterfabr »
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2009, 04:27:38 PM »
Chem polished or vibratory?

Chem polished or vibratory My A&& ;D
Good old elbow grease and a 18 inch by 2 inch wide buffing wheel. Me black from head to toe when done.  lots of white compond then the red rouge. 

Really wouldn't be good for many for they are hacked saw and filed for 1.25 tube. I have a 1.25 bar across the top of my car for just that purpose. Rest of the top cage is 1.5 .095 but I wanted to keep the hanger bar below my roof line so's not to interfer with the sheetmetal.

Water jet? By the time your fixture them for the .09 raduis and drill, counter bore and tapping. You can have them machined. It would take a ton of sanding befor polish to smooth out the water jet marks. Plus you would be locked into either .5 or .65 material.  The .5 being to thin for the 1/4x20 bolt and the .65 to wide for the belt loop to go over.

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2009, 04:40:00 PM »
       Chem polished or vibratory My A&& ;D
Good old elbow grease and a 18 inch by 2 inch wide buffing wheel. Me black from head to toe when done.  lots of white compond then the red rouge. 

Really wouldn't be good for many for they are hacked saw and filed for 1.25 tube. I have a 1.25 bar across the top of my car for just that purpose. Rest of the top cage is 1.5 .095 but I wanted to keep the hanger bar below my roof line so's not to interfer with the sheetmetal.

Water jet? By the time your fixture them for the .09 raduis and drill, counter bore and tapping. You can have them machined. It would take a ton of sanding befor polish to smooth out the water jet marks. Plus you would be locked into either .5 or .65 material.  The .5 being to thin for the 1/4x20 bolt and the .65 to wide for the belt loop to go over.

Darn, the old fashion way eh?  Good Job though!  And thanks for bringing this to our attention.....  I might just weld mine in before powdercoat....

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2009, 04:47:56 PM »
Those are COOL!!! but hacksaw my ass! ;D ;D ::) You need to cut loose on details! I'd like a pair for myself maybe.

Ready for polish.  8)
   three hours in (Master Cam ten cam) three vice fixtures $98.00 worth of yard store matieral. And eight hours on a auto hack saw.

SPEC

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2009, 05:01:49 PM »
Those look great no matter how you did them ;D

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2009, 05:05:27 PM »
Those look great no matter how you did them ;D

Thanks Spec. Never can have to much Bling ;D

SPEC

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2009, 05:07:21 PM »
No problem ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal