Author Topic: 2.5 subaru  (Read 27367 times)

Online DeepBusch69

Re: 2.5 subaru
« Reply #105 on: March 27, 2018, 01:11:43 PM »
"It does very little", wow, that is strange.  Dave, what software did you download to access the computer?    I looked back thru but maybe missed it.  Do you have the EMS stinger?  I need to check my TPS someday, after all of fabr and DS's comments.  Are you bringing your laptop to LS with you?   8)

Offline big dave

« Reply #106 on: March 27, 2018, 01:37:17 PM »
"It does very little", wow, that is strange.  Dave, what software did you download to access the computer?    I looked back thru but maybe missed it.  Do you have the EMS stinger?  I need to check my TPS someday, after all of fabr and DS's comments.  Are you bringing your laptop to LS with you?   8)
Yes it is the stinger ecu. the software is STINER V4 ECUS . V4.17.3. Looking at there sight they have three stinger software downloads. Yours may be a older version. ????  I planed on bring my laptop to the dunes.

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #107 on: March 27, 2018, 02:16:23 PM »

Well, not too strange depending on the setup really..
TPS is used for determining an "engine state", for example like WOT, Flood clear, DECEL fuel cut, closed loop idle control, Launch control enable, idle timing, and accel enrichment IF it is setup to use it.
Some do accel enrichment as MAP based as I have done in the past with a screw type supercharger, instant boost needed a more defined control for accel enrichment. A combination of TPS and MAP can be used on some systems to do the job. On the most basic of builds if I don't have (or want) closed loop idle or decel fuel, the only thing the TPS is doing is flood clear. Not saying this is the rule, just that there is more than one way to skin the cat.

"If the hate of men could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world."   ~Nikola Tesla

Offline big dave

« Reply #108 on: March 27, 2018, 02:49:32 PM »
thanks for the info Enemy. All of it very good. I beleave your right that John is doing accel enrichment as MAP based.  that might explain his statement about the TPS not really doing much. It's been a long road trying to learn this on my own. I have not found much help in my town. This is my 3rd system and all of them have been a little  different. I have found lots of help on DTS.  Thanks to all of you.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #109 on: March 27, 2018, 03:08:13 PM »
As a side note,there can be no air leaks in the exhaust either. Even extremely small air leaks create havoc with O2 sensors. The old saying,garbage in =garbage out really applies to EFI.
this would apply if it had a O2 sensor. not to talk down  Outfront. but john down right said,, A O2 probe was just going to burn up on race fuel. no need to put it on. I do not agree with this! I have ran O2 probes before with race fuel and had no problem. this is somethings else I found strange. I have the wiring for the intake air sensor but the Engine did not come with a sensor. programing seems to be set up to use it. here is my thought on this. one step at a time! get the car to run right. then start asking why.  5: 5: 5: 5: oh ya Johns response to the TPS being bad. it really does very little.?!?!  Then why put it on at all!  HA ha ha
Welllll,I had a lot of respect for him until I read this. Total BS.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Online DeepBusch69

« Reply #110 on: March 27, 2018, 04:22:57 PM »
fabr, I'm with you, but I'm old school tuning.  I have been reading the manual for mine today, and learning a lot.  It says you can use the TPS or MAP for load source.  It reads:

"Throttle position sensors are one of the most unreliable sensors on an engine. This is
because of their mechanical nature. They are vulnerable to water, mud, dust and
other contaminants that get inside the TPS mechanism. In order to increase reliability
EMS have made this an optional sensor
. Providing that the engine is tuned with MAP
as the main load source, if the TPS stops working the ECU will still continue to
operate. "

But I still think the computer should know what my foot wants!   :s

« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 04:26:56 PM by budlight69 »

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #111 on: March 27, 2018, 05:41:12 PM »
All I can say is uh huh ,sure. Whatever. If that's the case ,John should have informed you it was not needed/programmed. Something smells fishy.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #112 on: March 27, 2018, 05:43:28 PM »
Sounds like our friend ol' limp mode is what happens when the TPS shitcans. You still NEED the TPS to run right though.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Online dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #113 on: March 27, 2018, 09:16:27 PM »
my gut reaction is BS! however i don't know turbo suby's. i guess if the tps's are known high failure issues then i could see tuning them diff but i would also think finding a better reliable one would be easier for tuning for him and the end user. i say this as fine tuning for the end use is the best way but if these are tuned in totally foreign ways that experts only understand. then not really user friendly imo .  so w/0 an 02 sensor and no real input from tps, i would then have to ask how these are tuned? how has he had you adjusting AE? everything changes with load , altitude, fuel quality etc etc
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 09:18:05 PM by dsrace »
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Online dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #114 on: March 27, 2018, 09:31:39 PM »
ya know a while back there was a tuner in omaha neb that was hired by some of the big tuner shops in LS cali. well liked and tuned rails in omaha brought to him from cali and texas etc. he was a huge advocate for haltech ecu's and tuned a couple na v8's of guys i knew. now i am not a tuner so let me be the first to admit that. that being said after viewing two of those engines i noticed the maf, iac, knock sensors and 02 sensors were removed. i asked one day how he tuned them with most of the sensors removed and just using tps, map and crank/cam sensors. his response was in a nutshell he tunes them like there carb'd engines. i didn't ask more as i was out of my element and would've just sounded like gen snowflake  rofl but i walked away thinking to myself, WTF!! all those sensors to add to fine tuning and that expensive ecu why would you do that. last i heard he has a big following in cali, has decided he really likes the megasquirt now. still why would you? how would you, tune a FI engine like it's a carb'd engine?

Online dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #115 on: March 27, 2018, 09:34:06 PM »

Well, not too strange depending on the setup really..
TPS is used for determining an "engine state", for example like WOT, Flood clear, DECEL fuel cut, closed loop idle control, Launch control enable, idle timing, and accel enrichment IF it is setup to use it.
Some do accel enrichment as MAP based as I have done in the past with a screw type supercharger, instant boost needed a more defined control for accel enrichment. A combination of TPS and MAP can be used on some systems to do the job. On the most basic of builds if I don't have (or want) closed loop idle or decel fuel, the only thing the TPS is doing is flood clear. Not saying this is the rule, just that there is more than one way to skin the cat.

who needs those  LMAO

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #116 on: March 27, 2018, 09:47:44 PM »
Ever wonder why tuners lock the ecm's????;) ;)
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Online dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #117 on: March 28, 2018, 07:23:35 AM »
not for some time now  ;) ;) but used to

Online dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #118 on: March 28, 2018, 09:39:28 AM »
the only explanation i can come up with for locking the ecu is......." there tune is good until the motor blow" ........ ;)         so dave i really think you need an 02 sensor so you can monitor afr. if its going waaay lean you have an issue. fix it or blow it. i cannot believe he doesnt connect an 02. with a tinly down pipe/dump pipe it wouldnat be effective so you make have to make a longer one atleast say 18" or 22"????? anyone have a guess on min length for decent reading?  afr is a key indicator of an issue before it blows.

Online dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #119 on: March 28, 2018, 09:42:15 AM »
i have coolant, afr, oil psi and air intake temp on my gauge and with the push of 1 button i can switch to flex sensor(e85 alcohol content), tps and ignition advance to view them while i`m driving.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal