Author Topic: Spal Fan Defective  (Read 2750 times)

Online fabr

• Administrator
Spal Fan Defective
« on: August 02, 2016, 08:16:29 PM »
Any of you ever gotten a defective Spal fan ? I did a year or so ago for new car. Did a bit of google time and finally found they are warranted for 3 years from date of manufacturing. The fans have a date of manufacture on them and I have 45 days to get a replacement. That was a close one! It seems like fans are my Achilles heel (jeffco,right enemy?  ;D ;D)on every fricken car I have ever built.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Online dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
Re: Spal Fan Defective
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 09:46:54 PM »
i had one fail in 1 year but figured i got it to hot because it was very close to the header. never had issues since but you have had plenty of issues with fan lol
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 05:16:11 PM »
It seems like fans are my Achilles heel (jeffco,right enemy?  ;D ;D)on every fricken car

YUP! That would be mine!
But it is "technically" now a Gear Vendors. Not sure if it is progress though, just a different name to write the check to so far..
"If the hate of men could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world."   ~Nikola Tesla

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 07:13:25 PM »
Welllllll,I learned a lesson today. I called spal and ,yes,the fan is still under warranty. That's not the lesson though. The tech guy asked whayt amp fuse I was using and which fan was bad of the two. I said blah,blah fan . The pair of fans ,under full load pull approx 50 amps total. I assumed ,since it's not published ANY EFFIN' WHERE, it would run just fine on 2-30 amp fuses since the fans are wired separately. Oh NOOOOOOOOOO,the motors are not the same. He immediately told me I needed a 40 amp fuse for fan 2. The first fan needs about 25 amps and the second one pulls around 35.  Viola! Problem solved after relearning what assuming anything does.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 07:18:20 PM »
Fan 1 pulls ,I'm guessing maybe 75% as much as fan 2 does. Fan 2 will blow your toupe right off your head! If I have any cooling issues I'm going to get a second fan 2 in place of fan 1. Hell,I can suck the car 2" lower to the ground with these things!
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Online DeepBusch69

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2016, 06:52:04 AM »
Fan 1 pulls ,I'm guessing maybe 75% as much as fan 2 does. Fan 2 will blow your toupe right off your head! If I have any cooling issues I'm going to get a second fan 2 in place of fan 1. Hell,I can suck the car 2" lower to the ground with these things!

Ok, I'm a little confused.  Are you saying the 2nd fan is a higher amp and CFM rating?  I always assumed they were both the same.  Does your fans show a different part number?  I need to go look at mine??

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2016, 08:43:32 AM »
Ok, I'm a little confused.  Are you saying the 2nd fan is a higher amp and CFM rating?  I always assumed they were both the same.  Does your fans show a different part number?  I need to go look at mine??
Yes,the spal dual fan unit I'm using has 2 different motors. One is a AP70 and the other is a AP72. The reason for that is unclear to me as to why. I assumed,as you did,both fan motors are the same. They are not.

I'm using this one. Spal # 30102130 2VA50-AP70/LL+AP72/LL/F-66A * 12"P/12V/PKSL DUAL

This motor takes a 30 amp fuse and this motor takes a 40 amp fuse. Both motors use this fan.

The 40 amp motor/fan side pulls a LOT more air than the 30 amp motor/fan side does.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 08:50:51 AM by fabr »
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2016, 09:08:18 AM »
That is strange.  Is larger motor on inlet side where temps be a tad higher?
Wired to come on together or seperate temps?

You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2016, 09:41:02 AM »
The fan assembly can be mounted either way,Carl.  They can be wired to come on together or separately and at same or different temps. I have it wired to run the lower amp fan first and if temp keeps climbing the more powerful fan will come on last. Both set to turn off at same temp. I'm using a Dakota Digital controller controlling 2 relays this time.

One thing that is different about this dual fan setup is that each fan is dedicated to pull air from only it's own half of the shroud,there is a center divider. That way both fans pull efficiently through the core if only running 1 unlike a common shroud for both where both fans need to be running at the same time  to avoid the running fan from pulling air through the non running fan side instead of through the core.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 09:42:57 AM by fabr »
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal