Author Topic: Straightening coiled brake tubing  (Read 3776 times)

Outlaw

Straightening coiled brake tubing
« on: March 31, 2017, 11:47:01 AM »
On another website I was directed here to look for information on using a lathe or motor with chuck to straighten coiled brake tubing by turning in a lathe while holding shop tubing with a shop rag and working to the end of the tube. I did a search but can not find any information on this method. I only have three vehicles and I'm don't want to invest in a lot of expense just to straighten coiled tubing. Any feed back would be awesome.

Offline Punkur67

Re: Straightening coiled brake tubing
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 12:25:58 PM »
We do a bunch of tubing at work and we straighten it by stretching it with a come along or similar. It works great
Its better to be a smartass than a dumbass!

Outlaw

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 03:55:06 PM »
That's good to know. I'm using nickle copper so assume I have to be careful not to stretch or work harden it?

Offline BDKW1

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 05:30:07 PM »
WELCOME to the site. Please make yourself at home.

I have used coiled tubing many times and straightened it by rolling it out as straight as possible ,cut to rough needed lengths and then just clamping one end in a vise and the other chucked in a 3/8 drill. Pull on it and spin the chuck a few times and it will be straight as an arrow. I now just buy 6'straight lengths of brake tubing  and cut what I need. Bonus is you get the tube nuts along with it,a factory flare on one end and it saves time with nearly the same cost.Edit:I missed the nickle copper part. I have no experience using it,only copper or zinc  plated steel line.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 05:33:00 PM by fabr »
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Outlaw

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2017, 08:11:50 AM »
Thanks bd, I have been watching those. Thanks for the link, good price find.

Outlaw

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2017, 08:14:25 AM »
Thanks fabr, I don't understand your method but I'm really interested in trying it. When you clamp one end and chuck the other, are you saying you pull and rotate the tube at the same time? So it "twists" the tube? No work hardening issues here when you go to put the flares in the ends?

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2017, 10:39:57 AM »
Thanks fabr, I don't understand your method but I'm really interested in trying it. When you clamp one end and chuck the other, are you saying you pull and rotate the tube at the same time?Yes. Pull very firmly and it will straighten right up. It only takes a few turns. So it "twists" the tube?Yes No work hardening issues here when you go to put the flares in the ends?Not with steel tube. I have no idea with nickle copper line.
As I said though,I abandoned that years ago in favor of just buying 6'straight lengths with flares and tube nuts already. Cut to length and add flare. Much quicker since there will be 1/2 the ends to flare and it is just as economical.Only time I would use coiled tube now is if I had a very long run needed.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2017, 10:43:13 AM »
The one bdkw1 linked to is for 3/8 tube. Won't do diddly for 1/8" or 3/16" brake line. There are some in the market for smaller though if you look hard enough.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Outlaw

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2017, 10:48:28 AM »
I did notice that like was specifically for 3/8. I have seen the same ones for smaller diamters. I think Eastwood and Jegs are two sources. Jegs about the same price but Eastwood more expensive. I live in an area where selection to straight tubing in the product I want is limited. I can get steel or the coated stuff, but no nickel copper or stainless.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2017, 11:07:58 AM »
I did notice that like was specifically for 3/8. I have seen the same ones for smaller diamters. I think Eastwood and Jegs are two sources. Jegs about the same price but Eastwood more expensive. I live in an area where selection to straight tubing in the product I want is limited. I can get steel or the coated stuff, but no nickel copper or stainless.
FWIW, unless this is a show car and you need the SS or nickle copper for looks I would stay away from either. Just an FYI though,if using SS you will only be able to do a single flare to the ends. The correct double flare will only be able to be done with steel.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Outlaw

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2017, 12:45:03 PM »
Thanks for the tag, I will keep that bookmarked. What is your issue with nickel copper? I thought from all the reviews I got it would be a good choice. These are not show trucks, just almost every day drivers but will never see rain, snow or gravel roads, unless I get caught in a rainstorm.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2017, 03:56:30 PM »
Steel line is the most malleable and easiest ,by far,to do the correct double flare.  As for the nickle copper,I have no experience with it but the zinc or copper plated steel line is what OEM's use and they last nearly forever.

That said,I did buy some poly something or the other coated straight lines from Auto-Zone to save time and they were the biggest POS lines I have ever tried to use. The stuff just did NOT like being worked. Every single flare I did leaked. All I can guess is that the process of applying the poly coat hardened the lin somehow.  I previously have not had but a couple leakers and I've double flared a boat load of steel lines over the years. We all live and learn.

Are you familiar with how to properly double flaring brake lines?
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Outlaw

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2017, 08:28:03 PM »
Thanks for the  response. I did some flares on steel tubing years ago with one of those little hand held jobs that are hard (at least for me) to get a good flare first try. I just purchased a mastercool hydraulic flareing tool and I think I get it, but I have not tried one yet. I can not say I have mastered flaring so any advise you have to offer is very much appreciated. I never turn down advise from experienced craftsman.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal