Author Topic: 5 link rear sandcar suspension  (Read 54077 times)

Offline BrianN

Re: 5 link rear sandcar suspension
« Reply #105 on: August 11, 2018, 07:20:36 PM »
Not a perfect triangle. If I would have known the L shape with two links on bottom was stronger, I would have done that. Would have been easier, but I assumed a triangle would be better. With that said, the single link in front of the axle is closer to the bottom. I considered the same idea with the box that you mentioned, but I am going for a different look and idea. Hey, it may fail. Pics are what I did today. Forward links, shock mount, plates, and more gussets yet to come.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #106 on: August 12, 2018, 08:49:43 AM »
looks good!  i personally would lay some 1" to 2" stitch welds on the inside from tube to plate but that's just me.  the bottom of the tires ( front and rear) always see more load than the uppers. your 2 forward link need to be strong as these keep the carrier from rotating not only from driving force but from the load of the shock on the carrier. shock placement over the center of the axle stub is always best but not always obtainable.  what you have built may be strong enough, but, i would probably use 3/4" chromolly heims on that lower link to be safe. i used 5/8" chromolly heims on my 6 link and 5 link builds ( heavy v6 rail especially) but at one point in time i used the standard standard steel on steel heims and they didn't last long. so i strongly suggest lined chromolly heims. do not  and i repeat do not, use aluminum rods on the forward links!!!!!! i have personal experience why we don't!  ;D ;D so save yourself the trouble and take my advice on this one!  the tube and plate idea does look better than a flat square plate btw, but the square plate is, imo , stronger and simpler. now i am not saying that to discourage your idea and build, just saying is all and if you stitch weld the inside i bet yours holds up just fine. if that's all chromolly then my concern would be brittle fractures around the welds unless you anneal it as a whole then heat treat it to an appropriate rockwell rating. honestly i am not even sure you would need to harden it and that would be a question best answered by fabr or fastcorvairs.
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #107 on: August 12, 2018, 09:02:52 AM »
here's why forward links need to be steel not aluminum lol    ;D ;D ;) ;) back in 2008 first and only time i thought i would try them on a heavy rail. works great on light weight bike powered but no so good on heavy rails  ;D

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #108 on: August 12, 2018, 09:19:21 AM »
I would have it annealed since I saw posted some of it is from 4140 also. If it were all from 4130 and the welds were allowed to air cool slowly in still air  I would just run them but if it does have some 4140 I would recommend annealing the whole thing. 4140 will through harden whereas 4130 will not if welded with argon shielding as should be.

As far as the single bottom link as opposed to double, I would not have done that. Maybe it will be OK but we know for sure double bottom links are best. Your work looks good though. Carry on.

"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline BrianN

« Reply #109 on: August 12, 2018, 05:06:05 PM »
It is double bottom link. And the parts are far from finished.

Offline BrianN

« Reply #110 on: September 15, 2018, 09:37:13 PM »
Slowly making progress.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #111 on: September 15, 2018, 11:45:20 PM »
That's quite the weldment .  Any distortion issues?
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline BrianN

« Reply #112 on: September 16, 2018, 04:47:14 PM »
Nothing that I didn't expect or plan for.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #113 on: September 17, 2018, 01:36:29 PM »
i cannot tell from the pics .....will the link connection points be double shear? needs to be if not. other than that i don't see why that wont work. keep a close eye on it until it's proven itself.

Offline BrianN

« Reply #114 on: September 24, 2018, 10:08:56 AM »

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #115 on: September 24, 2018, 10:14:03 AM »
i like it

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #116 on: September 24, 2018, 06:27:47 PM »
Damn thats some kind of weldment.  b:1 You need to step back from the pipe Brian.  No one could do that sorber.  :m

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #117 on: September 27, 2018, 08:29:35 AM »
so now that you have the carriers done.......we'll see you on the sand in 3 weeks?     :) ;) :D

Offline BrianN

« Reply #118 on: September 27, 2018, 11:24:21 AM »
I wish! I still need to finish the one pictured, then build the 2nd one. Bunch of welding and braces to do on frame. I think I mentioned a long time ago that the Subaru motor I bought from a buddy turned out to be in pieces, and incomplete. I have no electronics, wiring harness, pulleys, brackets, fittings, bolts, etc. etc. etc. Wrong throttle body, and so on. Gotta figure out the fuel tank, pumps, lines. You get the idea. Sucks to be me!! I will need longer shocks now, also. I may have to show up at your gathering and go for a ride with someone.

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #119 on: September 28, 2018, 07:35:37 AM »
You should just roll in, always an empty seat if ya crazy enough.  Great time in camp, food, food, n more food!
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal