Author Topic: Spring Preload  (Read 2349 times)

Admin

Spring Preload
« on: April 10, 2009, 06:57:01 AM »
FOr the gurus, What is the Rules/guidlines on spring preload?

Hoodlum

Re: Spring Preload
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 02:51:12 PM »
I think pre-load only adjusts ride height....If i'm not mistaken, you should be about 60% into the shock travel at ride height.....It doesn't stiffen anything or change spring rate...
Hoodlum

SPEC

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 05:13:22 PM »
I've never seen any guide, But by the seat of my pants and by the amout of sag...I like to use 20 to 35-40% sag in the woods and up to 20% for the flat track ovals...But on the Ice I turn the springs all the way out and strap the suspension short...Not much for bumps but for weightr transfer...I know this isn't really preload...But it works :P

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 07:22:09 AM »
I'm running about 25% in woods/fire roads.
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Admin

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 07:23:54 AM »
Preload is not sag to say, it is the amount of load you apply to the spring, with the retaining nuts at full droop...

trojan

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 07:33:27 AM »
In my opinion, it is for fine tuning the lowest amount of force the spring applies. At that point it is then used SOLELY to corner weight the vehicle. In  my opinion, it is a design flaw if spring preload is used for ride height adjustment.

trojan

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 07:41:28 AM »
that is to say, if the shock has no ability to adjust for ride height, then changing the preload will adjust the ride height ;)

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009, 07:45:08 AM »
Preload is dictated by the amount of sag that you want then?  I think that is the way it is for most people.  You can't have it all so something has to give.  If the spring rate is to high, you could have to back off to no preload in order to get the car down to 60%.  Or if the spring rate is to low, you will have to crank in a bunch of preload to get the ride heigth up.  If ride heigth is your ultimate goal then changing spring length or rate are the other options.

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009, 07:50:15 AM »

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Admin

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2009, 09:21:43 AM »
That is at ride height, atv racing and revolution say 1.5", true preload is measured at droop, and from what i am seeing, 1/2" is about the max...

Offline Yoshi

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2009, 10:03:06 AM »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal