Author Topic: A case of bad gas  (Read 1389 times)

Offline Boostinjdm

A case of bad gas
« on: July 02, 2009, 01:20:30 AM »
 Anybody ever gotten bad gas from Airgas? What did you/they do about it?
I have been fighting some problems for a while now and have mentioned it in a few other threads. I finally got my other bottle filled today and traced all my problems to bad gas.
I was going to post pics, but apparently shiny alum does not photograph well. At least not with either of my cameras. I did a lap joint and a bead in the middle of the plate. One side with the old gas and one side with the new gas. There was a night and day difference. The old gas had little to no etching, floaties, and the puddle was hard to control. The new gas had good etching, shiny surface, and the puddle was very predictable. To test, I set the welder up and ran several beads. Then I swapped the reggo to the other bottle without changing anything else. I didn't prep the tungsten, I didn't change the settings, hell I even used the same filler rod. Half a length with the old gas and half a length with the new gas. To me, the results are crystal clear. I thought I was losing my touch, turns out it was just bad gas....

So has anybody else had gas problems, and what did your supplier do for you to correct the situation. I think I can eat all the filler and time that I got wrapped up in trouble shooting. A full bottle of good gas would make me happy. Do ya think that is asking too much?

I have had the bottle about 3 months, it was on my welder with the spool gun that doesn't get used much. I had it filled when I modified my MM 251 to hold both bottles. Didn't ever use it with the spoolgun. When I ran out on my tig, I just swapped it over. Never occured to me that that's when the trouble started. Either way, it is a 125cf bottle and I used about half of it trying to track down "my" problem. Turns out it was actually their problem. Tonight, I switched bottles back and forth several times to confirm it was the gas.
This post has been edited due to content.

b.c.bugger

Re: A case of bad gas
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 11:31:47 PM »
nicer to see some pics, but from your description it sounds like they filled it with mix gas? (don't ask how I know what that looks like hehe)

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 11:38:49 PM »
Yeah, I'm thinking it was a friday afternoon fill....
I got it all squared away.  I took my test coupon with me and they swapped the half full bad bottle for a full good bottle and no complaints.  If I would have known what the mix was exactly, I could have used it on my MIG as it was empty also.

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 11:40:26 PM »
On the pics, I took 6 pics with two different cameras and none of them came out. :(
If you want to send postage, I'll send you the coupon so you can see it up close. ;D ;)

Offline thedoctor

• Fabricator
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 07:53:39 AM »
I had a problem a while back. I was finish tig welding a frame. I started getting bubbling and porosity. I thought maybe I hadn't cleaned the joint well enough. I ground and cleaned the bad weld, tried welding again, weld turned out ok. I started another weld, same crap. I thought I had a contaminated tungsten, so I started to grind it. I had a hard time getting it out of the torch. That is when I noticed the ceramic was chipped. It would draw in air I guess. Thought I would share. Tim
In the words of my father "Never give up too soon, you might miss a good piece."

Offline Yoshi

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2009, 09:45:23 AM »
for the pics, use a tripod and turn off the flash (since no flash will blur if you even think about moving so much as a nats butt hair), I take 95 percent of my pics that way and they come out awesome....

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal