Author Topic: Bit of a safety guideline  (Read 2261 times)

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Bit of a safety guideline
« on: July 01, 2009, 09:20:07 AM »
Way too often many of us,myself included, need reminded of some basics. I read this the other day on OFNnet.com  and thought I'd share. Very good info.

Eye's
I have been a Fitter/Fabricator/Welder for 17 years now and I hope some of what I write here will help you learn to do your own work a little less painfully. Doing all this cool stuff is a lot less fun if you're hurting yourself doing it, so this article will focus o*n personal safety. Let's start with eye protection. You only get two and they don't grow back so this is one of the most important things to protect. Good quality safety glasses are a good start and there are quite a few styles to choose from. The days of looking like a geek while protecting your eyes are long gone. Check all the styles Uvex carries...

www.uvex.com/eyewearindex.html

The majority of these use a disposable lens because they will get scratched and pitted the more you use them. Personally I wear eye glasses which makes wearing safety glasses a bit more difficult. I use a full face shield and find it's a very comfortable option. They are inexpensive and not only protect your eyes but also your face and neck from debris.

Check the site for a complete listing. They have one listed for about $9...a very cost effective safety solution.

http://www.safetyplus.net/product/924/

Clothing
Even the clothing you wear is important when welding or working with steel in general. It is important to cover exposed skin for a few reasons. The spatter and sparks are the obvious, but did you know that the UV from welding is strong enough to give you a bad sunburn in seconds? Aside from the fact it can be painful, it also just isn't good for your skin and could lead to skin cancer...so cover up!

Denim's and cottons are best, anything like nylon type materials will melt to your skin when spatter hits it. Most "natural fibers" are good.

Foot Protection
Steel toed boots are best. Anything less and you might be limping or worse. Open toed sandals or flip-flops are definitely not what you should be wearing while doing any work with steel. Runners are marginal at best...most will allow a hot chunk of spatter to burn right through in no time and obviously they will not keep your toes from being crushed when (not if) you drop a piece of steel on them.

Gloves
Gloves should be used, preferably something made of leather. For fitting I use the inexpensive leather and fabric work gloves. They run about $2-$4 and last long enough. Mostly they prevent cuts from sharp edges as well as steel slivers. once you start welding they don't provide enough protection from the heat and spatter so for welding a full leather glove is best. Even these can be had for $4-$10 and they will outlast "fitters" gloves about 5 to 1. Also, as popular as they are, mechanixs gloves are NOT a good choice when welding or cutting. They will burn through. Invest the money on a good pair of full leather gloves.Here are some quick tips that can help you stay safer in your "man space".

Grinders
Grinders should have the safety guard in place. Admittedly I break this rule everyday so all I will say is wear your gloves and eye protection and when you're done with the grinder always put it down on it's back. I'll do a more in depth article on grinders and techniques in the near future...

Welders
Welders, roll up the leads often and make it a habit. Your leads will last longer and so will the guns plus you won't be creating a tripping hazard. Torch's, if you're not using it turn the bottles off and like the welder roll up the hoses often. Keeping things somewhat orderly will help in many ways.

Torches
Torch bottles should always be chained unless you're changing a bottle. They should be chained to something sturdy (hello Captain Obvious) Torches are another subject I'll delve into more deeply soon.

Fire
Lastly let's discuss fire and the potential for fire. I work in a concrete shop so it's not much of a concern there...yet we have about 15 extinguishers handy and spread out through the shop. Let's face it, most of us work on our stuff in wood frame garages that are attached to our home. Oxy-fuel cutting should never be done inside a wood frame garage...you'd be begging for a fire. Keep a large extinguisher handy at all times. Even the garden hose, with a spray nozzle attached and the water on, easily reachable is better than nothing.

If you can, have a buddy do fire watch for you when you're welding something...you'd be amazed at how far spatter sparks fly and how long some of them stay glowing red.

Remember, none of this cool stuff is any fun when you're sitting in the ER.
Written by tRustyK5
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

tone

Re: Bit of a safety guideline
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 09:39:09 AM »
a couple of other things when grinding

always use ear protection
never use grinder without guard
i have seen a pic of a guy that took the guard off ,
the disc broke which shot a piece off which
cut his neck and he bled to dead very quickly.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 09:51:07 AM »
Respect speed ratings also.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

SPEC

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 10:21:26 AM »
Yup,
Safety gear is expendable...
And built to take the hits...
Your body is not

artie on edge

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 01:56:52 PM »
Cant argue with any of that.

OH&S and workcover over here (under?) no longer mandate the use of gloves when grinding. Chance of wheels catching teh extremities. Im not sure if I agree or disagree but I try and "hold" my bits with decent multigrips if possible.

Good post Fabr..

artie on edge

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 02:01:16 PM »
Yup,
Safety gear is expendable...
And built to take the hits...
Your body is not

No Im not arguing with you here... just sharing. The reason I use tools to hold work when I can is one of experience.

Using a bad arse belt linisher (80 grit) when I slipped and ground my left thumb away, well at least the tip. Honestly there was half the thumbnail missing diagonally with the white piece of bone in the centre. BURNT like hell or so it seemed.

The thing grew back, completely with a scar around the tip. I am still amazed BUT for the last 15 years have held things differently...... lessons are hard learnt.......

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 02:24:16 PM »
True,very true. I also use clamps and such as often as possible.I'm lucky I still have my left thumb after a run in with a drill press and my own stupidity.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Icky

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2009, 08:19:28 PM »
On the note about covering your skin, I learned something from a pipefitter one day while I was at work. I noticed that he was welding all day in short sleeves so I asked him if he liked sunburns. He told me he used sun block, which I didn't really believe till i tried it. I used SPF 85 the spray on stuff when I'm tig welding and it's to hot to put sleeves on...... not saying it will help with skin cancer, but just thought i'd share :)

b.c.bugger

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2009, 11:25:22 PM »
yaaaaa......pretty sure if you keep that up for the next 20 years or so you'll look like the cabana chat lady, except with less skin and more cancer

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2009, 11:52:55 PM »
I've got a bottle of sunblock in my toolbox just for that reason.  Seems like it takes a hell of a lot to burn me anymore though, even without the sunblock or sleeves.
This post has been edited due to content.

Offline Reidy02

• VIP
  • What goes around comes around!
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2009, 02:27:38 AM »
A while ago I was doing quite a bit of aluminum welding and noticed my neck was a bit sore cause I was welding in a T shirt as no doubt we all have done at some time or other, anyway I went and looked in the mirror and my neck was sooo red and I ended up with a blister and a fairly big one! So needless to say I now wear the right sort of stuff! ::)
VTR 1000 CUDA on the way.. What goes around comes around!!

b.c.bugger

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2009, 09:09:38 AM »
anytiI jump inside an aluminum tank or cabinet and start welding I end up being that much more of a redneck :) Doesn't seem to matter how well dressed you are the rays will find a way to burn your neck when reflecting from all sides. I'll try the sunblock idea, gotta be better than nothing. Anybody got any idea how to keep the light from coming in the side of the helmet? I got flashed pretty bad after being inside an alum fire truck tank for a while, we have a leather welding hood at work but it's so goddamned hot and uncomfortable...

Offline Voodoochikin04

• Vip Eye candy Supplier!!
  • VIP
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2009, 10:50:44 AM »
guys at m yold work would cut chunks off the old used leather chaps, and rivet them to the sides and the bottom of their welding helmet so that way they wouldnt get flash burn on their neck and ears, plus they all used sun block.
"it's only when you have lost everything, that your free to do anything"

Icky

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2009, 11:41:34 AM »
They make hoods with fresh air systems, they're a little pricey but keep you cool and covered. https://www.shoprutlandtool.com/catalog/3m-adflo-papr-with-speedglass-flexview-welding-helmet-9002x-with-sideview/311650.htmlWhen i have to weld inside of stainless tanks I usually wear my safety glasses, as some of them depending on the brand block UV rays which cause Flash Burn. I also wear dark shirts cause a white shirt reflects the light back into the hood. I've seen the leather idea before that seems to work pretty good. I usually just duct tape a rag or something on top to go over the back of my head.
Found it cheaper here https://weldingsupply.securesites.com/cgi-bin/einstein.pl?Next::1:UNDEF:OR:ADFLO I think it covers the back of your head, I know miller and optrl make one as well, but I don't think it covers your head.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 11:55:09 AM by Icky »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal