Author Topic: Arc (Stick) Welding  (Read 5284 times)

dre

Re: Arc (Stick) Welding
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2009, 05:00:38 PM »
Dump the hand held in the nearest trash bin...Buy yourself a cheap auto darkening helmet...I've seen them as cheeap as 40 bux at Harbor freightas a newbie to welding you'll need  both hands to lay nice beads...Your welds don't look too terribly bad...You need a few more amps and to slow down a bit... It's not a race...take your time...Keep the angle of attack consistant(about 30* to the puddle)
AND PRACTICE, PRACTICE PRACTICE...
I got a new student to the fab shop today...

I am planning on getting a helmet for sure, don't have Harbour Freight around here.  Might go look at the shops this afternoon to see what they have.  Then I will hang on to the hand held as a back up.

Thanks for saying they don't look terrible, that is a starting point at least.  After looking at it I thought more amps may be required.  Also, each pass has been getting slower and slower, should have seen the first couple.  That is where my question about electrode position came from.  Initially I was trying to keep the electrode on the front edge of the weld pool which made me go too quick.  Once I decided to aim a bit back from the front edge I slowed down and got a better weld.  Sounds like slower again may be better.  Thanks.

Mate you mentioned TAFE? Are you an Aussie? If so the sticks you need are satincraft by CIG. We use different terminology than these damn yanks...

The stick size will depend upon the available amperage from your  machine and the material you want to weld. I think in your case fairly small dia would give you best results.

Yep..Aussie here.  Will hunt down some good rods once I have destroyed my scrap some more!  Will make sure the mrs doesn't see your story, she freaks out anytime I go to the shed that something like that is going to happen.

artie on edge

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2009, 05:04:17 PM »

Yep..Aussie here.  Will hunt down some good rods once I have destroyed my scrap some more!  Will make sure the mrs doesn't see your story, she freaks out anytime I go to the shed that something like that is going to happen.

Well done mate, we have to stick together cause its definately 'them' against 'us' on this site. They may have the numbers but we got the skill n brains not to mention the good looks and larger dongers.

Where are you located? May be able to be practical in the assistance.

trojan

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2009, 06:22:56 PM »
I am planning on getting a helmet for sure, don't have Harbour Freight around here.  Might go look at the shops this afternoon to see what they have.  Then I will hang on to the hand held as a back up.
http://www.tradetoolsdirect.com/ ;)

Mate you mentioned TAFE? Are you an Aussie? If so the sticks you need are satincraft by CIG. We use different correct terminology than unlike these damn yanks...

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2009, 07:43:38 PM »
Quote from: Artie on edge on Today at 04:43:51 PM

Mate you mentioned TAFE? Are you an Aussie? If so the sticks you need are satincraft by CIG. We use different correct terminology than unlike these damn yanks...

[/quote]

Know what the Oz national motto is ??? ??? ???

Blissful ignorance trumps all.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

trojan

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2009, 07:53:32 PM »
Close mate, it's: "Follow your Bliss". There's a subtle difference. I appreciate you'll need a non-American english dictionary for that one ;D

artie on edge

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2009, 08:12:08 PM »
Quote from: Artie on edge on Today at 04:43:51 PM

Know what the Oz national motto is ??? ??? ???

We love you fabr.......

artie on edge

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2009, 08:13:34 PM »

lol...youre just jealous......

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2009, 08:16:40 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

dre

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2009, 04:36:28 AM »
sorry to get back on topic  ;D

Here are tonights welds...slower and a few more amps.  Think I might need more amps again, and have to remember to hover at start to let the heat build up a bit!  But overall I think it is better than the first effort.

Also, borrowed a Speedyglass auto-darken helmet which is nice to wear and autodark makes life a lot easier!  Not sure if I am steadier with 1 hand or 2 though!

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2009, 06:13:27 AM »
Now burn up 50+ pounds of rod to practice and you'll be a welder!
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SPEC

« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2009, 07:27:57 AM »
Here's a phrase that I drill into my students heads on starting a bead
TICKLE...LIFT...GET THE PUDDLE ...THEN YOU GET YOUR PENETRATION, AND THE PRIZE BEAD ;D

I don't think the chicks dig this analagy but the guys dig it

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2009, 04:12:41 PM »
Two hands always help. Dont grasp the stinger completely with both but rather use you second hand to help steady your other hand (when possible). And your heat is relative to your travel speed. We always run our welders hot so we can haul ass welding, but if you are not too good at welding going slower helps a ton. You have more time to observe and react to the weld. and if you want them to look nice its all about consistency. Keep your travel speed, gap from material, and motion as consistant as possible and your welds will look more fluid.
Its better to be a smartass than a dumbass!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal