Author Topic: Honda powered?  (Read 5314 times)

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
Re: Honda powered?
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2009, 07:04:07 AM »
Came with the car. Yes, yes, I know it's a builder board - for me its a fixer board. 

Do you think it's more solid now that AZ fixed it.

YES!  It had some good stuff before, but some of it was a little Jethro.  After Bill took the time to show what / how / etc I am 100% certain it is in much better shape.    You can learn more here.  Bill will get you the hookup that would be dollars well spent for your application.

http://dtsfab.com/index/index.php?topic=791.0
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Admin

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2009, 07:27:59 AM »
Yummi, when it popped, were the tires wheel hopping....

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2009, 07:29:54 AM »
Nope.

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Admin

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2009, 07:39:16 AM »
Hmmm, Sand and wheel hop will break a tank, Generally I find wheel hop to be very easy in reverse.... ;D

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2009, 07:40:55 AM »
you suppose that has something to do with the paddle tires going backward at that point?

Admin

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2009, 07:56:18 AM »
No none at all, it is just the weight distribution of the car, I have wheel hopped a 40ft straight truck at least 250 times, probbaly more, loaded they go thru the sand no problem, as soon as they are unloaded and the weight shift they just wheel hop like a bitch, the paddles will make it worse as there is so much sidewall and such low air pressure, i have always backed up quick...

Offline Az Transaxle

• Forum Sponsor
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2009, 10:13:19 AM »
The reverse gear is just very small and weak.  The Mendi 2D I believe uses the same gear.... so it is not an upgrade in that department.  It addresses the forward weakness of the bus.....  The ring gear.  Mendi 2D uses a much larger ring and pinion, but the 1-4 gearset and reverse are the same as in a "built" bus.
[/color]   The MD4-E uses bus gears. The 2-D uses much larger gears than a bus. The reverse however is a stock VW part. When VW designed the gearbox it was supposed to use a 1200cc, 36hp motor with 25 inch tall tires about 5 inches wide to back a Bug up on pavement.For that purpose it is adequate. VW never considered paddle tires,big motors,or sand. Mendeola looked at what broke the most in the bus(ring&pinion,case,and differential)and beefed it up.When ever you strengthen a weak point you just shift it to the next weakest point. Second became the weak point which gave birth to his second design(2-D). Then it was the input shaft so we got the G-50. Everbody new reverse is weak DONT use it. But enough people complained so now we have the S-4. If you have $13000.00 and enough room in your car for a 2 hundred pound transaxle great. If not, don,t use reverse!

Icky

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2009, 05:06:26 PM »
200 lbs?  :o what's the bus trans weight? Couldn't you just throw a stronger reverse gear in there, like i said earlier i'm not planning on drving in reverse everywhere, but from what i understand it shouldn't be used at all unless i want to visit you all the time  ;D btw thank you for taking the time to reply to this post

Offline Az Transaxle

• Forum Sponsor
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2009, 07:57:25 AM »
The bus weighs 85 lbs. There just isn't enough room for a bigger reverse.

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2009, 08:33:29 AM »
[/color]   The MD4-E uses bus gears. The 2-D uses much larger gears than a bus.

Thanks for setting me straight.  Mendi's Nomenclature system is a little lacking IMO.  I can never keep their boxes straight without looking them up.

Also, I think we are scaring Icky to much here.  The reverse works!  Just don't abuse it.

The people who say "they can't use it" Have V-8's and 36" tires.

Offline Az Transaxle

• Forum Sponsor
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2009, 10:41:15 AM »
Engineer is right on the money!

Icky

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2009, 01:13:52 PM »
I was getting scared. I was thinking i guess I'll turn it sideways and run a cvt with an rpm. But everything has It's own set of problems i guess

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal