Author Topic: Lovejoy couplers  (Read 3274 times)

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Lovejoy couplers
« on: November 23, 2008, 07:32:51 PM »
Do any of the members here have a good source for Lovejoy drive couplers?
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
Re: Lovejoy couplers
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 10:24:35 PM »
Any local bearing store can get them, IBT, BRC, Motion Industries, etc.  I googled and it looked like you could order them from northern tool.

Pick the one you want from the million choices on their website: http://www.lovejoy-inc.com

I get a pretty good discount due to our volume.  Pick your part number and I will get a quote, at least for comparison.  I assume your looking for the L style which will allow for some misalignment and provide some cushion.

The picture of the C-style shows a spline, but I cant seem to find any splined hubs in the catalog.  Are you planning to weld on a sprocket on one and a clutch disc center on the other?  If your eliminating the bellhousing I suppose you will shorten the input shaft.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 10:46:08 PM »
  Yeah ,I'm looking for someone that gets a discount and willing to pass it on.LOL!  I'm looking for a price/availability of a size 28 CJDLF with the green 64 Shore D elastomer.  I can't determine from the website  if they're available but would like price on both steel and aluminum. It's a flange to flange type so it can be removed without disassembly for elastomer spider replacement if nevessary.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

plkracer

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 10:47:59 PM »
I'll talk to applied over the holiday and see what they can do. Do you have a ball park price yet?

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 10:50:06 PM »
Nope.I know they're not cheap but don't have a clue how much.I just need it and will buy wherever I find it cheapest next week or the next at latest..
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

plkracer

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 10:52:11 PM »
I'll stop by Wednesday, or give them a call tomorrow.

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 04:23:59 PM »
Thats a good one you chose Fabr....  I've never see one like that but it is sweet for your app.  They still want a bore diameter for the inside.  Minimum is .472, and max is 1.496 I asked them for a quote with the minimum bore.  Apparently these are custom built as the factory had no stock and my distributor said they didn't get back with a quote by the end of the day.  They quoted the wrong one first a CJ28/38.  It was a bit over $60.  The Spider was $17.xx.  I am bracing for the one you want to be much higher.  Why not just buy the spider, plug that CNC in and make some flanges.  hehe   I should have a price tomorrow.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 07:17:33 PM »
LOL,some things are just easier to buy.Hmmmm,I think artie said that just a couple days ago. ;D   Besides I'm not willing till I get the Fadal going for this one.I'll be manually machining the adapter I need for the 091/busa crossbreed also. You are checking on a CJDLF28 with the green spider right? The minimum bore is good since I have no idea yet what 'll end up needing.Most likely the largest. I assume the bore is not hardened. Thanks for checking this out. The price is very reasonable at this point.We'll see what the correct one is! ;) ;D
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 07:22:48 PM »
Engineer ,did you notice the flange jaws are curved both axially and radially? In effect  the spider is contained in the jaws when compressed  and not squeezed out like a regular lovejoy connector.Much higher torque and rpm capacity.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2008, 08:27:55 PM »
Yah I noticed that.  I assume the CJ variety will take much more torque than the standard Lovejoy's.  It actually trys to squeeze the material into a bal, instead of trying to squirt it out.  The $17 was for the green spider.  That much is correct.

Another tidbit.  Many manufactureres make the same type connectors as the Lovejoy, but Lovejoy was first so that is what people call them.  It just so happens that we are looking at Lovejoy brand, but many brands are available.  Like a Cresant wrench or kleenex, that are actually brand names that we use to describe a product.

That being said, It seems possibly only Lovejoy offers this curved jaw variety.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2008, 08:38:55 PM »
They're the only ones I found that offer the CJ style,but, what do I know. Yeah like compressing a ball in a way.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2008, 11:24:45 AM »
 3:

Ok, this got real ugly.  IBT quoted it at $991.94 with a 5 week delivery plus transit time.  It looks like it may be a special. ;D  These are the prices I got, as are the ones mentioned before. (I wasn't planning any markup, this is hobby not business).

I have looked at the book some more, and I don't think that they are curved axially.  I think the spider may be slightly, which would allow for angular misalignment with less pressure, but from their drawings I think the jaws are straight axially.  I like the CJSPC which uses 2 spiders, but would only take about 1" extra space, and would allow for much greater axial misalignment WHEN the frame flexes.

Seriously, I could help you make these over the holidays.  Give me some dimensions.  Do You have your busa motor?  I assume you were going to bolt one flange to the busa output sprocket.  If the ID of the spider is larger than the od of the busa output nut, we could make the flange very narrow, and make a counterbore that the sprocket could fit in, and be welded around the od.  Of course you would want to turn the teeth off of the sprocket.  What is the limiting od?  What is the od of the sprocket at the minor diameter of the teeth?  You might as well use the biggest OD Spider possible.  If the ID of that spider is big enough to clear the OD of the shaft nut then you will be able to greatly reduce the overhung load on the output shaft.

Now that you have the tranny with bellhousing removed, how close will it fit to the motor?  Is the coupler going to be the limiting factor, or is the stator cover going to hold the tranny away?  Are you going to shorten the input shaft on the tranny?  How big is it and how did you plan to attach to it?

Do you have the VW dimensions (bolt pattern, dowels,and bearing location) for the new cover that will replace the bellhousing or are you just going to use the bellhousing for a template?  I could help you out with that if you have dimensions.  I also have some surplus 5/8" aluminum.  What are the dimensions of the front of the tranny?  Does the input shaft pull out once the bellhousing is removed?  Does the cover control thrust?

If this coupler design works, I will be interested in doing the same thing when I build a buggy, so I have a vested interest.  I attached a pdf of the motor side coupler I was describing.  The 28 size you were looking at is 2.56" od x 1.18" id.  I doubt the 1.18" ID will clear the nut.  I don't have a busa to measure from but the bigger the better on the spider size.  Once the max OD is determined a spider could be chosen etc.

Let me know if your interested.  Give me some dimensions and I will draw it up.  My CNC is already plugged in and this would be a piece of cake.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2008, 03:35:41 PM »
3:

Ok, this got real ugly.  IBT quoted it at $991.94 with a 5 week delivery plus transit time.  It looks like it may be a special. ;D  These are the prices I got, as are the ones mentioned before. (I wasn't planning any markup, this is hobby not business).

I have looked at the book some more, and I don't think that they are curved axially.  I think the spider may be slightly, which would allow for angular misalignment with less pressure, but from their drawings I think the jaws are straight axially.  I like the CJSPC which uses 2 spiders, but would only take about 1" extra space, and would allow for much greater axial misalignment WHEN the frame flexes.

Seriously, I could help you make these over the holidays.  Give me some dimensions.  Do You have your busa motor?  I assume you were going to bolt one flange to the busa output sprocket.  If the ID of the spider is larger than the od of the busa output nut, we could make the flange very narrow, and make a counterbore that the sprocket could fit in, and be welded around the od.  Of course you would want to turn the teeth off of the sprocket.  What is the limiting od?  What is the od of the sprocket at the minor diameter of the teeth?  You might as well use the biggest OD Spider possible.  If the ID of that spider is big enough to clear the OD of the shaft nut then you will be able to greatly reduce the overhung load on the output shaft.

Now that you have the tranny with bellhousing removed, how close will it fit to the motor?  Is the coupler going to be the limiting factor, or is the stator cover going to hold the tranny away?  Are you going to shorten the input shaft on the tranny?  How big is it and how did you plan to attach to it?

Do you have the VW dimensions (bolt pattern, dowels,and bearing location) for the new cover that will replace the bellhousing or are you just going to use the bellhousing for a template?  I could help you out with that if you have dimensions.  I also have some surplus 5/8" aluminum.  What are the dimensions of the front of the tranny?  Does the input shaft pull out once the bellhousing is removed?  Does the cover control thrust?

If this coupler design works, I will be interested in doing the same thing when I build a buggy, so I have a vested interest.  I attached a pdf of the motor side coupler I was describing.  The 28 size you were looking at is 2.56" od x 1.18" id.  I doubt the 1.18" ID will clear the nut.  I don't have a busa to measure from but the bigger the better on the spider size.  Once the max OD is determined a spider could be chosen etc.

Let me know if your interested.  Give me some dimensions and I will draw it up.  My CNC is already plugged in and this would be a piece of cake.

I understand but real estate is scarce where it fits. The cjdlf is perfect.If they are that expensive I'll make it myself or take you up on your offer. I'll double check the curvature of the jaws.I thought they were cupped. The cover is a bit more involve than you think.I'll pm you a couple pics of a halfassed mockup to give you an idea later tonite.  I haven't cadded it yet and it'll likely be a few days . What cnc control you using?
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2008, 10:58:28 PM »
Forget the lovejoy, I found something that will work perfectly on your favorite site!  Apparently it's off of a BMW so it should be easy to source.  :m

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2008, 05:52:53 AM »
Hmmmmm,convince me.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal