Author Topic: How about this for plunging CV's shafts?  (Read 7822 times)

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
How about this for plunging CV's shafts?
« on: December 21, 2008, 07:55:28 PM »
I was looking at a few things and this though occured to me.

CV's and plunge is in many cases a BIG issue next to angle. But the plunge is still a problem.

Instead of the conventional way CV's are used use them backwards.

Mount the CV's center stars on the center shaft. Short splined shafts are easy to get. Flanges that match the splines can hook to sprockets and brake discs. Bearings to fit the shafts are reasonable.

Then around the star the cage would pivot. Then you would have whatever diameter the CV is to hook (weld) to a driveshaft tube that a slip joint is in.  The CV flanges whatever inch diameter would be easy to hook a driveshaft to with lots of weld area for strength.

The tolerances would hold the shafts to spin true just as easy as when the cages are held to flanges (that are somtimes just a slip fit on shafts) and a skinny axle is in the middle.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 08:00:38 PM by Nutz4sand »
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
Re: How about this for plunging CV's shafts?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 08:07:56 PM »
As an after thought to take it a different direction if you already have a setup but need more plunge get short splined shafts that fit the inside of the CV's you have mounted in the conventinal way. The splined shafts fit inside the CV's then into common flanges (Type 1 for low power and small tires and bigger as needed) Then have driveshafts made with a slip joint that would bolt into the common flanges that are over the nice splined shafts coming out of your CV's. 

If thats not clear I can explain more and perhaps make a diagram up.   
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 09:34:22 PM »
Clear as mud.Sketches please.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 10:09:33 PM »
I'll second that......  I just couldn't keep up. :P

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 01:17:00 AM »
This might help shed a lil light on it. The driveshaft slip joint is common and can be gotten anywhere. It welds to the ends of the driveshaft tube and the driveshaft tube is made to whatever length you need. Then welded to the parts that are drilled and fit into the flanges (The orange and blue parts below) It is just a piece of metal thats welded to the slip joint's tube on one side and drilled to bolt to the flange on the other. 

The top one below is for the top post above of mine. The bottom one below is for the second post.

Did I filter the mud enough?

« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 01:29:38 AM by Nutz4sand »

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 01:37:21 AM »
I'm confused here. Looks like you are trying to reinvent the wheel into a square to me. So you are saying let the shafts do the plunging instead of the cvs? Like the extreme axles with u joints do? Looks like a ton of work and parts and pieces to worry about. JMO.
Its better to be a smartass than a dumbass!

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 02:01:04 AM »
Not reinventing so much as looking for better ways to help those with plunge issues.

These are not as complicated as they appear to be. These would also work for a person using TWO outer CV joints from a front drive car for the 33 plus degrees they can hit. But they have NO PLUNGE.

But many designs I see having CV trouble were built wrong thus the plunge tears things up or apart. These would not be that expensive to build or that complicated and all the parts are proven to be able to handle some good abuse.

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008, 02:06:21 AM »
Another question nuts, it looks like everything put together you are loosing axle length which will limit your travel due to more cv angle. I could be confused in all this though.
Its better to be a smartass than a dumbass!

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2008, 02:12:41 AM »
Actually no. I was limited in the space I had to "sketch" it up. Your CV's are gonna be the distance apart they can be. That will not change if these were fitted to any machine. This was just to show the genral layout of a couple ideas that would fit inbetween the CV's that had plunge issues.

These do not affect the width of any machine or the cv's loaction. Just a different way to mount them in one instance and a different way to deal with plunge if it was needed. 

Offline Voodoochikin04

• Vip Eye candy Supplier!!
  • VIP
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2008, 03:41:20 AM »
this is what i got out of it.
"it's only when you have lost everything, that your free to do anything"

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2008, 04:18:25 AM »
now you're adding to center section width.  I'm going to scribble now....
This post has been edited due to content.

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2008, 04:43:24 AM »
here is a bolt in replacement for cv setups with plunge issues.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 04:45:00 AM by Boostinjdm »

Offline Yoshi

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2008, 06:28:25 AM »
he's wanting to have a cv work the opposit the way it does  now.  On a regular setup, the main cv housing stays put, and is attached to the bearing carrier, and the star is attached to the shaft and pivots.  He's wanting to attach the star to the carrier and stay fixed, and have the main cv cage attach to attach to and pivot with the axle..

Admin

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2008, 06:47:21 AM »
you could possibly have a killer cv boot setup that way anyhow...it wouldnt have to shrink down to the size of the axle, it could stay the same diameter and mount to the plate etc...

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2008, 06:55:05 AM »
cv boots have to be tapered.  that's what allows them to work.  otherwise the boot would bunch up on itself.
I don't see any benefit to flipping the cvs so the star stays put and the housing pivots.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal