Author Topic: Turbo waste gate issue?  (Read 8367 times)

trojan

Re: Turbo waste gate issue?
« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2008, 09:16:16 PM »
Another thing I noticed is your intercooler mounting. I expect it's virtually doing nothing - even worse - I slightly suspect it's getting heat soak from the engine and virtually no airflow through it, making it worse than not having it at all.

If you were to mount it vertically with 3 inch long pipes, just above the turbo and intake manifold, you would have a MUCH cooler intake charge and virtually NO lag. In this config you would want a heat shield between the turbo and intercooler.

Don't be afraid of getting a cheap ass front mount from eBay and mounting it in the position I suggest. It WILL give you more power than the std WRX one.

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2008, 09:27:18 PM »
Hi Trojan,

Thanks for all the info - I will get more to you shortly, but here it is late and I am off to bed soon.  On the inter-cooler I thought the same, so I made a "scoop."  After I bought the car.  Without remounting the cooler this was the best I could do to direct more air over the coils.  Pictures attached.  Will respond to the other post in the am.

Thanks again for all the info and watching out for my backside.
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2008, 07:04:19 AM »
It does sound like you have a good tuner. An ECU is an ECU (in general) and in practice are only as good as the tuner. For example, a tuner who is totally familiar with any ECU will do a better tuning job with that ECU than say another guy who wants to use a Motec but never has before..... Does the "Stinger" have: knock control? boost control? Auto-tune? Closed loop?

What grade (RON) fuel are you using?
I expect with US fuel and 10 psi you are only seeing < 120 hp at the wheels?
I run mine on 98 RON and at 18 psi, I get 200 hp at the wheels (similar climate to Florida).

SAND... You might want to try a Centrifugal type pre-filter and double socked filter after that. Try to stay away from oiled types as they can play havoc with your AFM if oiled even slightly too much. Personally K&N aren't good enough for the street, let alone sand. Another thing to remember, get a filter that's big enough to still flow what the engine needs when the filter is half clogged.

Hmm, I don't know too much about the stinger.  But, here is a link for you.  I think they import them from your neck of the world. 
http://www.outfrontmotorsports.com/engine_management.htm
They (Outfront) re-flashed this last summer.   My guess is it does not have boost control as it was spiking hence the waste-gate debacle.   It is programable by the end user - that will not occur in my world - I know my limits. 

With the wastegate, it is set for 10psi, and they say I can run 91 Octane, I ran 100 before, and I need 100 for the other parts of the offroad fleet, so I will stick with 100. (RM2)  Should be good for 220hp+ - at the crank is my guess - Once the bugs are resolved, it will get some dyno time (About 9 mos from now) and I will then post the sheets.

As to the exact motor, I have no clue - Again, used.  My guess - nothing real special.  At this point I am shooting for
1. Safety
2. Reliability
3. Longevity

It has only driven back on the trailer under it's own power once.  So, once that occurs with greater frequency, then we will figure out the (4) performance issues

Sand, it sucks, I think I am good on my filter - Lots of surface area, outerwear, etc, etc.  Just the devil I choose to play with. 

Thanks again for your input, it is clear you know your stuff. 

Between the two of us, we can get more than one person to see the light on this board for a Subaru motor in a buggy. 

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline Yummi

• Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2008, 05:21:13 PM »

plkracer

« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2008, 12:45:35 AM »
Good work yummi! Be sure to keep us updated! I'm hungry for a video too! :laugh:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal