Author Topic: 5 link rear sandcar suspension  (Read 54278 times)

Online fabr

• Administrator
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
Re: 5 link rear sandcar suspension
« Reply #166 on: July 01, 2019, 09:25:38 AM »
i will have to take fabrs word on 16 times more pressure. def will require a higher flow to move it. now , on the bike motor rails i had when the radiator was behind the seats i had to run double pass. double pass unto itself did not solve the equation unto itself so did require the next larger fan also. even then on a hotter day you would still hit 230* if i held 8k rpm or more for too long. so i started mounting them in the roll cage. i re used the double pass radiator from my turbo busa that only ran 7 psi. i am running it on my new engine a ford turbo 2.3 turbo that has now reached 29 psi. i dod know know the flow rates of both water pumps and obviously both are made for different applications and rpms! this radiator never had an issue on the turbo busa. it held temp dead on even on a hot day. now on ford engine if i let it sit and idle while at operating temp then the coolant temp will climb. run it up to 1500rpm or soo and its fine but at  6500 rpm i have never seen over 195 * ( 185*thermostat ) at 20 to 29 psi boost on a hot day!  so i agree they def require a higher volume ( more flow) but there can be a benifit. i bet a single pass in current location , still a 2 core of course would prob work formyself with a higher cfm fan or twins. i run a single 15" spal fan right now and it cycles on and off while duning.
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline BrianN

« Reply #167 on: July 01, 2019, 11:36:44 AM »
Any of you guys going to LS this weekend?

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #168 on: July 01, 2019, 12:14:55 PM »
Maybe. Not sure.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #169 on: July 01, 2019, 01:51:26 PM »
ahhhh.....hell no??  ;D its too damn hot here! 104* sat and so humid it looked foggy! i do not go last half of may, june, july, aug or sept lol

btw looks like you have room to go 4" wider or more.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #170 on: July 01, 2019, 07:09:38 PM »
wuss!!!  5: :m :D :D
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #171 on: July 02, 2019, 06:46:44 AM »
 LMAO  yup  rofl i"ll wait till its back in the 60's and cloudy  :m

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #172 on: July 02, 2019, 07:07:28 AM »
Eskimo......................
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline BrianN

« Reply #173 on: July 02, 2019, 07:27:04 AM »
Sounds like your duning days are limited down here. BTW, if you are referring to my radiator being 4" wider, if I could have found one 4" wider,inlet/outlet in correct places, practical with use of stock Subaru water pump, not custom made, and reasonably priced, I would have bought it. I am hoping to make a short trip to LS this weekend to "work some bugs out". I am sure there are more!!

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #174 on: July 03, 2019, 12:44:43 PM »
Sounds like your duning days are limited down here. BTW, if you are referring to my radiator being 4" wider, if I could have found one 4" wider,inlet/outlet in correct places, practical with use of stock Subaru water pump, not custom made, and reasonably priced, I would have bought it. I am hoping to make a short trip to LS this weekend to "work some bugs out". I am sure there are more!!

i personally don't think that 's possible. def would have to be custom made. several places that can do that. i have bought a few from the radiator shop in hayes kansas . i think it was $400 with shipping and the custom mounting brackets plus all the ports i specified. 2 pass, 2 row, the core on mine is 15" tall by 24" wide with 1" inlet/outlet ports.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #175 on: October 12, 2019, 07:47:57 AM »
brian N......i forget what you said that suby trans your running was rated for as in hp/tq?  i know you stated what your were told and i think you said 200 ish but don't remember for sure.  just curious who told you that and did they have any info on other suby trans like the sti 6 speed? i have seen a few posts that the suby trans in stock form handles 600 hp in the car but i don't know how reliable those people were.  i had considered one and emailed the suby trans company asking which trans would be the best to start with to build for offroad but never got a response. just curious if they gave you any info on what would handle what? i like the low placement of the cv flanges on that trans!

Offline BrianN

« Reply #176 on: October 12, 2019, 08:21:17 PM »
I got what I consider  the most reliable information on subi trans hp from Brian, at Outfront. He was considering  using a 5mt, but his motor was putting out just over 200 hp, and he didn't  think it would  handle it.  I know  that hp and torque are different, and I think I have learned that torque is  what  breaks things. I would welcome  your knowledge on that subject! As far as handling  600 hp, I  would not  believe that,  especially  with paddle tires. I have  read forums for  countless hours on this subject,  but it is usually  just a "pissing match". I have come to the  conclusion that certain  6 speeds are stronger,  but are fewer, and more  expensive.  But if a person has  the hp/torque, then money usually  isn't as much  of as an issue.  I am hoping to get more info on a closer 3rd gear, and invest the money. My buggy  would be so much more fun if I  didn't have to  run it so hard in 2nd, and 3rd was lower. Also, I think just a little more hp could  help that issue. Damn, I  wish April would  hurry up and get  here!!

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #177 on: October 13, 2019, 08:02:40 AM »
i am no expert but if they are handling 600 hp on the strip then i would think they would be good for 300 hp on the sand imo. you are right tq is what breaks them and unfortunately not many list the tq there running with hp.  april is right around the corner lol

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1475128

that is one i read on the sti 6 speed trans.

scary when there's no pricing lol  http://eng.kaps-transmissions.com/products-si-full-sequential-gearbox.html

here is another good read on the sti 6 speed trans

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showthread.php?974-Please-reconsider-STi-6-Speed

here is a price sheet for full seq racing gears  ;D ;D  rofl i about fell out of my chair http://www.rallispec.com/gea_dog_ppg-su6seq.html

« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 08:05:11 AM by dsrace »

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #178 on: October 13, 2019, 08:13:50 AM »
for what they charge for just the seq hear stack in the suby trans you could by a complete medi s4 lol https://weddleindustries.com/products/1000165/1004349

i wonder if you could find another 5 speed with different ratio's to swap the gear out of. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Subaru_transmissions

doesn't look hard to rebuild

Offline BrianN

« Reply #179 on: October 13, 2019, 09:43:48 AM »
DS, I  quoted wrong earlier. Just noticed. Brian's motor was making over 300 hp on Outfronts dyno. And that was over what they considered reliable for them. I  looked into different  stock gear ratio stacks for the 5mt, but they all seemed almost identical. But I  am definitely not an expert on ratios! I will  read your links. And they do seem simple to work on. After all, if I can do it(with YouTube), anyone can.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal