Author Topic: I want it i need it.....its time  (Read 24735 times)

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
Re: I want it i need it.....its time
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2023, 07:24:55 AM »
So far, one days run at LS is 5 gals out of my current 11 gal spun aluminum tank. The tank works just fine and never had issues but in order to move the radiator back and the intercooler down, the tank needs to relocate. So my thought was 15 gal for when I go back to st a. Also had one good long hard run at ls and used 5 gals in one run.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2023, 07:33:45 AM by dsrace »
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2023, 07:53:31 AM »
Ran out of time last night, but hoping to finish pulling the radiator and then the megasand tonight.

" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2023, 06:58:02 AM »
Got the rest stripped and cut a section of the cradle out to make it easier to pull the trans. Have to change the whole suspension cradle anyway.

Interesting site on the flywheel. Every now and then the starter would hit, sound like a short grinding noise and just spin. Wasnt often just once and a while. Always thought it needed to sit deeper into the bellowing. There are 14 teeth on the flywheel with some scaring . I think I could file the edges to clean it up?  I know the tolerances on the hv24 are far better then the megasand. The megasand had known issues with starter mounts.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2023, 08:33:37 AM »
Easy peasy cheap fix of the flywheel. Just take a drift and hammer to the ring gear. It will come off much easier than you would think. Just work your way around it sort of like driving a bearing race out.  To replace the ring gear,put flywheel in freezer for a couple hours. Heat the new,deburred ring gear in the oven to 400 for 20-30 minutes.Have the flywheel on the floor,take ring gear from oven and then quickly slip it into place on the flywheel. It should drop onto the flywheel easily. Wear heavy gloves,work quickly. As it cools it will shrink to a press fit with no damage. I've done many that way when I was working on industrial engines.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2023, 08:36:56 AM by fabr »
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Online DeepBusch69

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2023, 08:45:46 AM »
Good to see you finally working on your rail.  What is the second shift shaft for, reverse? 

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2023, 10:14:04 AM »
Good to see you finally working on your rail.  What is the second shift shaft for, reverse?

that is an excellent question. according to sean at weddle they went to 2 shift shafts for the racers of baja. he said it creates much more positive shifting. thats really all i know on the subject and took his word for it.

after looking at the throw of my PBS mid engine shifter, it looks like a straight forward mounting. i will have to double check but i think reverse is opposite of the pic he sent but will verify that tonight.

either rotate and plunge , infact if you plunge one shaft the other rotates. you can use one shaft to shift it but sean recommends using two for the best shifting.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2023, 10:17:30 AM by dsrace »

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2023, 10:16:02 AM »
Easy peasy cheap fix of the flywheel. Just take a drift and hammer to the ring gear. It will come off much easier than you would think. Just work your way around it sort of like driving a bearing race out.  To replace the ring gear,put flywheel in freezer for a couple hours. Heat the new,deburred ring gear in the oven to 400 for 20-30 minutes.Have the flywheel on the floor,take ring gear from oven and then quickly slip it into place on the flywheel. It should drop onto the flywheel easily. Wear heavy gloves,work quickly. As it cools it will shrink to a press fit with no damage. I've done many that way when I was working on industrial engines.

as luck would have it, the shop across the alley from work machines flywheels. i asked him if i bring it in could he flip it and he said no problem. i know the owner and the guy in the shop so one last thing to do. thanks for the info and definately would try that before shipping it off !!

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2023, 10:45:37 AM »
Everyone has their own opinion but I would put a new gear on as opposed to flipping it. New gear is not that much &&
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2023, 11:17:22 AM »
Everyone has their own opinion but I would put a new gear on as opposed to flipping it. New gear is not that much &&

I will check on a price from kep . I have been considering shipping it back to have them machine it/open it for a 9" clutch vs the 8" twin disc i have now. The megasand wouldn't fit a 9" which is why I went twin disc stage 2 8". I say this as my end goal might be a 3.5 or 2.7 ltre ford ecoboost .

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2023, 11:21:28 AM »
The ring gear is just a standard part. No need to pay$$$$ to Kennedy.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2023, 05:48:25 PM »
Going to have to cut the back section off the frame.. i will have to extend it 8 plus a bumper to aid in protecting the tail of the trans. That will add 1' to back end including the bumper.

So apperantly .25" thick 2.5" tall plare isn't strong enough for the base mount on my trans. Ill have to build the base mount better for the hv. The megasand has a cast flat base that bolted flat to that. 4 bolts, 2 on each side, It still bent. It bent forward too.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2023, 06:36:35 PM »
How is your engine mounted? If it is mounted such as front solid mount and back of block mounted solid you do not want a 3rd(front/center/rear) solid mount. You never want 3 solid mounting points .  I have a solid single mount at the front/center of engine and a back of engine/mid plate. I put a standard rubber transmission mount at the back.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2023, 07:39:58 PM »
So the motor mount in the center of the engine on both side are tubes ran up to factor plates. The bottom of the tubes have a poly bushing inside of them used on a arms. The rear top of the motor is mounted solid. The bottom of the tran under the bell housing also mounted solid. The tail of the trans also mounted solid.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2023, 08:04:41 PM »
So was talking to Mike Harkins about why that bent and ideas on how to solid mount the trans aluminum case. If I'm following what your saying ( especially as my block and head are iron ) that solid mounting the engine , skip the aluminum trans mount under the bell housing and then rbuuer mount the tail of the trans?

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2023, 08:06:59 PM »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal