Author Topic: Mini Buggies May NOT be Dead with the new YammiYXZ  (Read 4455 times)

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Mini Buggies May NOT be Dead with the new YammiYXZ
« on: September 07, 2015, 11:35:28 AM »
Mini buggies may NOT actually be dead with the introduction of the new yammi with a divorced from the engine tranny and clutch.When you think about it,the new possibilities are again almost endless once again.

Transmission
5-speed sequential manual external transmission; wet multiplate clutch, external flywheel
Final Drive
Yamaha On-Command; 3-way locking differential; selectable 2WD and 4WD with diff lock; shaft drive

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm,gears are starting to turn.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
Re: Mini Buggies May NOT be Dead with the new YammiYXZ
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 02:26:33 PM »
Nope.  Dead.  Done.  Gone. 

Let's assume a few of these pop up as salvage. Great get an adapter kit and mount an Eco Tech?  What 200+ HP?  Custom frame, bits, yada yada.  What is the cost to now build a mini buggy?  $40k assuming little / no labor costs? 

Or 20k base.  Turbo at 5k, mods at 5 -10k and still have something that can be insured, repaired with production parts, etc. 

There is no way that folks will be buying mini buggies.  None.  Guys such as yourself that build them for the fun of the build will always be around to some extent.  Trouble is shop is not taught in school anymore.  Most 20 somethings understand $299.00 a month.  They do not understand caster, camber, travel, etc. 

Dead.  Done.  Demand for the small mini buggy cars is not there.  Watch the used prices.  Guys can't give them away. 

Dollars will be the death of the big cars.  Funco is what $150k now?  "Starter LS1 x Mendeola - NEW" is what 70k?
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 03:11:28 PM »
Nope.  Dead.  Done.  Gone. 

Let's assume a few of these pop up as salvage. Great get an adapter kit and mount an Eco Tech?  What 200+ HP?  Custom frame, bits, yada yada.  What is the cost to now build a mini buggy?  $40k assuming little / no labor costs? 

Or 20k base.  Turbo at 5k, mods at 5 -10k and still have something that can be insured, repaired with production parts, etc. 

There is no way that folks will be buying mini buggies.  None.  Guys such as yourself that build them for the fun of the build will always be around to some extent.  Trouble is shop is not taught in school anymore.  Most 20 somethings understand $299.00 a month.  They do not understand caster, camber, travel, etc. 

Dead.  Done.  Demand for the small mini buggy cars is not there.  Watch the used prices.  Guys can't give them away. 

Dollars will be the death of the big cars.  Funco is what $150k now?  "Starter LS1 x Mendeola - NEW" is what 70k?
I don't disagree with the scenario you describe.The truth is there never was a market for minibuggies. The numbers built were very low even by "name" builders. I'm talking about guys like me now will have some serious driveline options for some serious toys.It may be a year or 2 before some salvage comes up ,I agree. Innovators/tinkerers/those wanting something out of the ordinary yet using readily available parts guys are going to be in heaven. That trans/clutch unit has real promise.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 03:40:02 PM »

Hell,NO!!!! I'm thinking turbo busa ,of course. The driveshaft adapters are already out there to run a shaft off the busa.Effin 30 forward gears!!!. Serious rock crawling possibilities AND top speed machine as well as everything between.  Sequential shift on the fly ,final drive ratio choices! Cost to build a buggy is more like 15-20 K for a top quality ride using top quality parts. Ya,ya gotta have skills to be different,I agree . I see this as the next specialty off road niche with true potential.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Yummi

• Grumpy, Sneezey and Dopey all rolled into one.
  • Administration
    • Jeeping With Dogs
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2015, 04:16:37 PM »
Speaking of guys like you whatever happened to Baloo?  He always had some off the wall cool stuff. 

As far as the rest:  MooseBilt had that Tejon car.  That was pretty cool. 

IDK.  Tinker guys will not be willing to pay the price for that unit salvage is my guess? Wonder what sort of HP it will hold up to?   

That is a lot of product for a 20k base price. 
I like things that move.   Pretty much limits me to cars and strippers

Did you know I have a blog?  Come on now, it is 2016, everybody does.  http://www.jeepingwithdogs.com

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2015, 04:34:19 PM »
Yes,I agree ,a lot of toy for 20K. As far as the asking price for that trans unit,I'd bet 5K or so at the beginning. Ouch,I agree ,but possibly well worth it considering that the POS jeffco is in that range. LOL!!!  HP/torque capability? I'd guess it is quite stout. It is in a 1500#'s or so vehicle targeting an abusive as all get out buyers group.  I'm betting it would be capable of a LOT more than the factory abuse testing.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2015, 04:35:00 PM »
It's been a long time since I heard from Baloo. I really miss that guys ingenuity.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

odypilots

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2015, 08:30:51 PM »
Yes,I agree ,a lot of toy for 20K. As far as the asking price for that trans unit,I'd bet 5K or so at the beginning. Ouch,I agree ,but possibly well worth it considering that the POS jeffco is in that range. LOL!!!  HP/torque capability? I'd guess it is quite stout. It is in a 1500#'s or so vehicle targeting an abusive as all get out buyers group.  I'm betting it would be capable of a LOT more than the factory abuse testing.

I agree. Look at the power the Honda Pilot's FNR is capable of handling. 35 horsepower stock, and it holds up with 120 being put through it, beating on it like a red headed stepchild.

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2015, 05:39:28 PM »
Memorial day weekend at the dunes there were some guys at Silver Lake with 1000 Polaris razors with 1100 Articat four stroke twins with a turbo and they build them for people and say they can feed them 300 horse all day long and thats WITH the 4x4 still intact.  They claim they can feed them a lot more.

They were running full size sand car paddles on the back and the thing would carry the front wheels at half track when he had the boost up.
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2015, 06:24:28 PM »
the new 5 speed will be interesting to see how it does for the mass's. the cvt offers something that the shifter doesn't  and that is a auto like trans and many gear ranges in between. the newer 5 speed will have to be geared deeper to maintain in many terrain situations. also not sure how many can drive a manual as well.
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal