Author Topic: dons bus box follow up  (Read 13248 times)

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
Re: dons bus box follow up
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2011, 10:44:55 AM »
What a friggin joke.   kick

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2011, 11:06:39 AM »
Not a funny one either.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2011, 07:38:41 PM »
OK,got the thing torn down to see the guts. Transman,anyone,know how to tell the diff in weddle sportsman gearsets and race sets? I haven't disassembled the shafts yet. What should I see/desire/use so far as bearings ? I Do see that while this thing is apart I need to address oiling tho. Need to put a couple of holes in the maincase to allow lube to flow readily from front section to the rear section. As it is it doesn't allow flow due to the 091 being inverted. The OEM oil holes are now topside. OOPS! Doesn't appear to have caused any issue but I KNOW it can't be good to hinder free flow of lube between the 2 areas. If I decide to buy a full Weddle 091 I'l need to have that mod done. Wonder what THAT will cost to have them do ? LOL!!!!!
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline BDKW1

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2011, 11:26:00 PM »
Seems he's trying out new markets........

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/pts/2665416198.html

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2011, 05:53:48 AM »
Soooo,is he an intentional misleader or just an outright liar? IMO he's a misleading liar.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2011, 06:16:25 AM »
Soooo,is he an intentional misleader or just an outright liar? IMO he's a misleading liar.
Does that mean he's telling the truth?  ??? ???

LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO

Craigslist is full of scams.
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

trans man

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2011, 04:54:29 PM »
OK,got the thing torn down to see the guts. Transman,anyone,know how to tell the diff in weddle sportsman gearsets and race sets? I haven't disassembled the shafts yet. What should I see/desire/use so far as bearings ? I Do see that while this thing is apart I need to address oiling tho. Need to put a couple of holes in the maincase to allow lube to flow readily from front section to the rear section. As it is it doesn't allow flow due to the 091 being inverted. The OEM oil holes are now topside. OOPS! Doesn't appear to have caused any issue but I KNOW it can't be good to hinder free flow of lube between the 2 areas. If I decide to buy a full Weddle 091 I'l need to have that mod done. Wonder what THAT will cost to have them do ? LOL!!!!!
The Weddle racing gears will have a WP right next to the ratio on the gears, on the head of the pinion shaft and ring gear.
When you disassemble the mainshaft and pinion shaft, look at what bearings are under the idler gears. If they are not steel caged and are plastic caged, then Don reused the OEM junk bearings and NEEDS to be replaced. Look at the 3rd/4th gear shift hub, if you don't find a WP mark on it. When that needs to be replaced too. Make sure you dissassemble and inspect the double taper bearing in the pinion shaft.  I've got a $100 bill that says he reused that bearing, it's full of sludge and it's NOT in very good shape. What does the reverse gear look like? Did don reuse the OEM gear?
 These are just a few things to look for, there's alot more. 8) 8) 8)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 05:03:46 PM by trans man »

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2011, 08:22:53 PM »
The Weddle racing gears will have a WP right next to the ratio on the gears, on the head of the pinion shaft and ring gear.
When you disassemble the mainshaft and pinion shaft, look at what bearings are under the idler gears. If they are not steel caged and are plastic caged, then Don reused the OEM junk bearings and NEEDS to be replaced. Look at the 3rd/4th gear shift hub, if you don't find a WP mark on it. When that needs to be replaced too. Make sure you dissassemble and inspect the double taper bearing in the pinion shaft.  I've got a $100 bill that says he reused that bearing, it's full of sludge and it's NOT in very good shape. What does the reverse gear look like? Did don reuse the OEM gear?
 These are just a few things to look for, there's alot more. 8) 8) 8)
The ratios are correct so I assume they are weddle gears. Haven't looked for any marks but doesn't weddle make a race set and a sportsman grade set?
 The needle bearing in the maincase is bad. The needles have apparently hammered themselves against the end of the steel cage . There is a raised area there anyway on the race and it does not turn. I'll try to get pics.
 Bearings in general. I will check all out. What's supposed to be superior? German made or???????
 Reverse gear..........................................  LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl
It's a POS VW,beat to hell. When buying the weddle reverse gear,does it come as a set including idler. Is it just the reverse gear that breaks or it and the idler?
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

trans man

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2011, 05:22:48 AM »
The racing gears will have a WP on the gear next to the ratio. If you don't see that WP then the gears are not Weddle racing gears. 8) 8) 8)

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2011, 05:54:14 AM »
Got any answers to the other questions?

Again does weddle make 2 grades of gears or just"race" gearsets?
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2011, 11:18:50 AM »
as I understand it, the sportsman gear sets are just different gear options with stock strength and maybe not even that, where, the wp are the racing gears made out of 9kseries chromoly.  not an expert though. I can't believe not having the 2 new 5/8" holes in the now bottom of the main case didn't starve it for oil  :o !!    you got lucky, everyone I have read up on flipping the trans over has re-drilled 5/8" holes in the now bottom to replace factory holes.  the pics should be interesting to see just how don did this one.
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2011, 11:26:03 AM »
No oil starvation as I filled case to the 1/2 way point of the cv flanges and enough lube will flow between the 2 areas ,well actually 3 with the adapter included. NOT like I like it to be at all tho.  There will be holes now .
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2011, 02:02:24 PM »
No oil starvation as I filled case to the 1/2 way point of the cv flanges and enough lube will flow between the 2 areas ,well actually 3 with the adapter included. NOT like I like it to be at all tho.  There will be holes now .

that explains it then!  ;D
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

trans man

« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2011, 08:28:27 PM »
Got any answers to the other questions?

Again does weddle make 2 grades of gears or just"race" gearsets?
Weddle does make the cheaper sportman (economy) gears, but they are not any stronger than OEM gears. I don't know if they have any letter markings on them or not. I've never seen one in person. 8) 8) 8) 

trans man

« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2011, 08:36:18 PM »
Bearing wise you want German bearings on both ends of the mainshaft, pinion shaft, reverse jackshaft and on the diff. NO CHINESE! Weddle steel cage needle bearings under the 1st-4th idler gears.  8) 8) 8)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal