Author Topic: Someone finally posted about significant testing of a Honda transmission  (Read 6069 times)

LiveWire

It has been pointed out that for as many people think the Honda transmission behind a Busa sounds ideal, there seems to be little comments of results with people running them hard.

http://www.minibuggy.net/forum/driveline/15354-honda-transmission.html

Hi Al The Honda motor driving these trans run anti-clockwise ,that is why they use them

Chris

I ran one off these Civic Box's behind my Busa
Started off with a chain drive Had an input shaft failure
Overcome that then it became Chain failures sprockets too close together too short a chain and cooked it Could only do 2 laps of a race
Overcome that by setting up a gear drive Used 3 gears out of an R1 box I had lying around This worked fine But generated a lot of heat again
So I fitted an oil pump driven off the gear drive which drew oil from the gearbox through an oil cooler then into the geardrive case and returned back to the box
Finally had the drive line to the civic box sorted
Started to show promise had a diff with steering brakes ,had a reverse and had 3rd 4th and 5th gears in the box to use as ratio changes
I stripped out 1st and 2nd gear as I believe wernt strong enough for the abuse about to be inflicted on it
Took it out for a nother race meet
Confidence was building then BANG stripped 3 rd gear Thats ok select 4th gear off we go again a few more laps You guessed it Bang goes 4 th gear Select 5th which didnt last much longer
So after hours of work shelled it all out and now have 4 well used Civic box's piled up in the corner
NEXT !!!!!
Sorry cant post any pics at the moment

Online fabr

• Administrator
Sorry to hear that but I have had,as most know,reservations about it. Regardless, I never like to hear of hard work not panning out.Was it a normally aspirated  or boosted busa I wonder.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
I've seen some of these rice burners puttin 400hp thru these boxes.  And they seem to get by with them.  The nail in the coffin is the shock loads from rough terrain (whoops). 
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Online fabr

• Administrator
Ineed to see the use those got. Bet it's actually pretty mild.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline vidio1

• Fabricator
I've seen some of these rice burners puttin 400hp thru these boxes.  And they seem to get by with them.  The nail in the coffin is the shock loads from rough terrain (whoops).

I have too when I had a Cobalt SS. But let them wheel hop for a split second and see how long they last.  LMAO The stock Cobalt would break axles like tooth picks with only 205hp when it wheel hopped. I never heard of it happening in a Cobalt, but can only imagine the trans would break sooner or later.

Online fabr

• Administrator
Oops,assumed he meant the rice burning busas.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Boostinjdm

400hp is old news.  Lot's of Honda guys running 600+ nowadays.
This post has been edited due to content.

Online fabr

• Administrator
WHo cares if it's 600 HP and not used like we do ? Not trying to be an ass but really our application is much more abusive than anything the street can throw at it EXCEPT for wheel hop. As mentioned earlier the Honda trans does not like that.  IF you really use your ride hard I have always had my doubts of it surviving.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Carlriddle

Rice=street.  Wheel hop bout like whoops. Load unload load unload breaks crap.  The accord and prelude seem to have beefier gears but still were not meant to be driven by enemy.  ;D.

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
I'm starting to come to the conclusion that some people around here think I'm hard on stuff  ???

I luv you guys  rofl
"If the hate of men could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world."   ~Nikola Tesla

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
I too have read the responses on MBN but without video and some good pics to see the setup is sound it does not mean much.

A little flexing and the input will let go. Once a piece is broke it could have taken out the rest.

Not enough info there to really know much.

Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline Carlriddle

Agree with Nutz. I saw the bearing outside but didn't notice outside support. Little twist of input shaft gears separate teeth go missing.  Running inline or with a cvt ???

I hoping for breaking crap power soon. Just a little seat time was like sniffin a white line. Hooked need more can't get enough.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 04:13:47 PM by Carlriddle »

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
What cracked me up was the one guy used the throwout bearings guide for a BEARING SUPPORT. Even after he beefed it up it was NEVER made to carry a side load! And the way he beefed it up did nothing for strength. Certainly nothing near the loads it was seeing!

Therein was his failure start. Once started it was over.

Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Spec

I'm starting to come to the conclusion that some people around here think I'm hard on stuff  ???

I luv you guys  rofl

Your the new DTS breaker of shit SPIDER MONKEY
I OFFICIALLY GIVE YOU MY TITLE

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
hp means nothing in this case, what really matter is what kind of tq is that trans rated for? that's just for starters and ya wheel hop will kill most but that is the pounding offroad will give it after all. the woops are hell on components but still a step below landing with you foot in it or running balls out through the chop after a busy weekend!

enemy you deserve that title more than I  LMAO  rofl LMAO
mr 5th gear wheelie!
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal