Author Topic: turbo 1300 to turbo 2300 conversion  (Read 80944 times)

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
Re: turbo 1300 to turbo 2300 conversion
« Reply #120 on: December 14, 2016, 04:02:22 PM »
no  i don't really but let me see what i can do. if you send air into the intake port ....where it hits the back wall behind he valve stem and below the valve seat in below that area you said never grind into, that base or floor at that point is not raised so much so sharp 90* turn. i was wondering if i were to use some  jb weld to turn that sharp 90 into a very shallow or 60* turn if that's even worth the effort.
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #121 on: December 14, 2016, 05:06:27 PM »
I assume you mean on the long side radius. IF I were to do anything I would work on raising the floor and increasing the short side radius. You will find more improvement there. All this being said though I would not go to the effort at this time. Later,after you get it dialed in is when I'd look for flow performance improvements above what you already are doing. That way you can tell if you have improved things or not with your porting efforts.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #122 on: December 14, 2016, 09:42:04 PM »
i am talking about the floor back right underneath the valve seat up against the back wall of the throat. but i need to get the motor rebuilt and running so that may have to wait.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #123 on: December 17, 2016, 09:19:01 PM »
well stinger made a good recommendation on this 90* upper intake.... he said the sharp inside turn....short side...... so there is room to weld in the back side so i can cut 1/4" out and round that off. i will do it as i can see what he's talking about. machinist has not measured my bore yet so still haven't ordered pistons but got "pimp" micro squirt pcm by stinger and all my gaskets bought etc etc

on anther note i have been wanting a single row led bar for a while to put in a diff location. so i decided to try this one......http://extremeledlightbars.com/pro-series-2d-40-single-row-led-light-bar-16000-lumens-combo-beam

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #124 on: December 17, 2016, 09:34:07 PM »
it is sharp corner...

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #125 on: December 17, 2016, 10:59:51 PM »
well stinger made a good recommendation on this 90* upper intake.... he said the sharp inside turn....short side...... so there is room to weld in the back side so i can cut 1/4" out and round that off. i will do it as i can see what he's talking about. machinist has not measured my bore yet so still haven't ordered pistons but got "pimp" micro squirt pcm by stinger and all my gaskets bought etc etc

on anther note i have been wanting a single row led bar for a while to put in a diff location. so i decided to try this one......http://extremeledlightbars.com/pro-series-2d-40-single-row-led-light-bar-16000-lumens-combo-beam
I have a set of the extremes and honestly,can't tell a bit of difference in them and rigids.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #126 on: December 18, 2016, 09:58:43 AM »
good to know and as far as rated lumens....that one is 2k lumens short of the two rigids i ran but none of it matters because I WILL NOT be going for night rides at st A and i can't see worth a damn at night to lead at LS so we'll let carl , enemy, shane if he ever makes it again or fast lead from now on  rofl rofl now that was a run ride through the fence  LMAO LMAO sorry fast couldn't help it

Offline BDKW1

« Reply #127 on: December 18, 2016, 02:20:18 PM »
This,from that link is why I will not use beehives unless there is no other choice.

Rick Moody
Every set of beehive springs I have bought broke in the area where they narrow down. I don't use them on street applications for that reason.
Additionally,I prefer the benefit of a dual spring being able to possibly save your engine in the event of a broken spring. I have had that happen personally.

The benefits,which I do not dispute,for a drag race engine could be a plus as the benefit to a high rpm endurance application  could be a plus as well if we were in a competition event are not worth the negligible performance increase for our use in the dunes.
A few million LS motors would beg to differ on street use on beehive springs. Spring failure is usually due to incorrect selection or installation.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #128 on: December 19, 2016, 06:05:35 AM »
A few million LS motors would beg to differ on street use on beehive springs. Spring failure is usually due to incorrect selection or installation.
I won't argue that LS motors successfully use them or that they are inherently bad. I WILL say that many,many cam mfg's don't sell the best springs in their kits and beehives are no exception.If they are not well designed ,installed,IMO,they are more prone to breakage. That being said,I'll stick with dual srings for that small extra safety factor in case of a spring failure. All of this is just personal preferences based on past experience. I will only use springs of the highest quality no matter the design. Honestly,when DS said beehive I assumed he meant beehives used to avoid cutting the spring pocket to a larger size .THAT will never be used on any engine I build. Beehives used with reduced OD at the top are a different animal. Google up some spintron vids of springs @ high rpms.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #129 on: February 21, 2017, 02:41:47 PM »
ok so don't have any update pics that i want to share just yet but soon. here is a vid i took for rcv. i bought there 28* plunging cv's they advertise good to 28*. they won't even handle 25* but better at 24*. i sent this to them to prove this. i tried every which way i could think of rotating the cv spline by spline with 1" of axle outside of each cv to 12" of axle plunge. btw i measured my axle plunge using both my fixed 930 cv's and 1/16" on pass side through a 24" wheel stroke. so what am i doing wrong. i did make sure they were clocked internally correctly and end for end which is why i decided to try spline by spline even tired facing them the backwards. fixed cv's work great and rcv says they are machined to 30* but i will need to fix the axle to one cv on one end so it doesn't pull out on the cv. i said then how do the $62 empi chinese cv's work on trailing arm rails at 25* to 28*????????????? he said he doesn't know. they are willing to refund my money but what are your thoughts.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #130 on: February 21, 2017, 02:42:13 PM »
those are mock tubes not the actual a-arms btw

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #131 on: February 21, 2017, 03:02:33 PM »
Did you get the undersized balls? I just put the RCV 300M 930 cv's on my car and they are at 26* and perfect. They may be even more angle than that now that the limit straps have had time to stretch.
Its better to be a smartass than a dumbass!

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #132 on: February 21, 2017, 03:46:09 PM »
no i did not get the undersized balls. they said these are machined to 30* but not to let them past 28* they sent 10 by mistake and i have tired 6 out of those 10 with same results as video. i sent 6 back and am about to send 4 more back and get the empi ones if these won't do it. i don't plan on running them at 28* but they won't even do 25 as you can see in the video. i ran the fixed 930s at 35* peak for the last 5 years on the turbo busa with no issue. i even asked rcv how trailing arm cars can operate at 25* or even 26* or 28 if i supposedly need to c clip both sides of one cv????? they suggest a fixed 930 on wheel side and plunger on trans side using a c clip on both sides of fixed cv to keep upper running in the middle. fine and dandy but still cannot operate theres at 28* and they can't tell me why.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #133 on: February 21, 2017, 05:39:40 PM »
First thing I'd do is ditch that POS inclinometer. No offense meant but I have been bitten by those POS before.I have a couple in the tool box but I only use them to get a rough approximation.Get a decent digital and recheck. AN example would be one time I was bolting the rear arms on and used one. They just did not look right. Both sides visually appeared to lean out. WTH? I got out the digital and did some investigating. They did indeed lean out about 3 degrees according to the digital. I then went about checking out the POS's. Ended with one have a bogus scale and the others pivot was off center and did not swing correctly. The v groove on the edge was not parallel with the base on one as well. Before you throw in the towel,get a digital. Even a HF digital is better than what you are using,usually. Does you phone have an inclinometer app? If so I'd even trust it more than what you are using. That is where I'd start before I sent the cv's back and went with EMPI "stuff".
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #134 on: February 21, 2017, 05:41:20 PM »
Now,why are you using plunging cv's in the first place?  I assume you are designing the a arms with near zero plunge?
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal