Author Topic: New Baileigh Tube Notcher  (Read 6692 times)

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Re: New Baileigh Tube Notcher
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2013, 08:35:26 PM »
GOOD INFO hammer.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2013, 07:16:35 AM »
One last thing,I also use a Grizzly router speed control to slow down the drill(1/2" Milwaukee also). Run the saws at around 80 RPM and there is no need for any messy oil . The saws will cut dry for hundreds of cuts even in 4130 dry and  no stripped teeth.

I picked up a (Handy Man 1/2 shop drill) I ain't going to say how many years ago but rumour has it about forty.  Found it in a pawn shop for $25.00.  Turns 90 RPM.    Sucker will twist you up in the cord in a heart beat ifen you hang up a bit.  Ask me how I know that.   ???.  Was building my press at the time and need to drill a lot of 1/2" holes for the table to adjust up and down.  I was standing on the two big 3/4" pipe handles that screw into the side of it when the bit hung up.  Twisted me up in the cord and spun me around like a marry go round until it pulled the plug out of the wall socket,.  rofl rofl That is what I use with my tube notcher.   Still using the same hole saw's I started with on my first build. 

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2013, 08:16:18 AM »
I have a 1" milwaukee drill that I mounted in a powerstroked hone I built years ago. The very first thing in the manual in letters about 3/8" tall was the warning,"serious injury or death can and will occur with improper use of this very high torque drill". I've never before or since seen such a warning on any hand held tool.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline komelika

• Never stop learning!
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2013, 08:44:04 AM »
I use the JD2 Notchmaster and I have no other experience with Notchers. The JD2  was definitely in my price range ($300, I think) and worked fine for my Barracuda build, but if I were building custom cages I think this would be a much better tool. Cutting into a bend wouldn't work with the JD2 (at least not at my skill level).
If you remain calm while everything around you is complete chaos... then you probably haven't fully understood the situation!

http://sandjunky710.blogspot.com/

LiveWire

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2013, 11:44:09 AM »
I don't see how this:

Helps me make this:

Unless the the clamp is also adjustable up and down. I have custom fixtures for those arms. Even if it does adjust up and down, I don't see how it would make a repeatable notch.

Anything new, I am using the two straight cut method of notching. I wrote an app to run on my phone to give me the cut angles.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2013, 12:33:09 PM »
I believe that will allow you to do that.
 Personally ,I do not like the two notch method especially on larger tube. I want my saddle to be a tight fit . Makes for a nicer weld. Not necessary,just a preference.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

LiveWire

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2013, 01:23:56 PM »
I actually like that it leaves a V for the weld to fill.

Offline komelika

• Never stop learning!
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2013, 01:25:49 PM »
Spooky! An hour or two after reading this thread and watching the videos I watch a youtube video about GoPro and the advertisement video is a bailiegh bender. Zero privacy! Suppose I wanted to shop for a diamond for my wife and then she suddenly starts seeing ads for jewelry stores and gets tipped off and ruins the surprise.

Note: I don't have enough money for a buggy and a big diamond... and you can't drive a diamond.   rofl
If you remain calm while everything around you is complete chaos... then you probably haven't fully understood the situation!

http://sandjunky710.blogspot.com/

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2013, 01:37:46 PM »
Spooky! An hour or two after reading this thread and watching the videos I watch a youtube video about GoPro and the advertisement video is a bailiegh bender. Zero privacy! Suppose I wanted to shop for a diamond for my wife and then she suddenly starts seeing ads for jewelry stores and gets tipped off and ruins the surprise.

Note: I don't have enough money for a buggy and a big diamond... and you can't drive a diamond.   rofl

Ebay is same way, what you looked for will be ads for next time. 

BTW  Big diamonds will get you free rides, no driving required.  But thats for a diff thread.   ;D rofl
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline Hammerworks

• Fabricator
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2013, 02:03:05 PM »
And it doesnt take anywhere near an hour...its instant.

Offline Hammerworks

• Fabricator
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2013, 02:05:58 PM »

Obviously a custom fixture is going to be better than a mass produced multi diameter notching tool. But do you want to make a custom fixture for every tube for every new job?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 10:43:53 AM by Hammerworks »

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2013, 12:15:25 AM »
I have seen this notcher first hand and I too thought it would not hold the tube steady as it seems so narrow a grip area but it does indeed hold it dead solid.

One turn off I had to it was the fact it could not do smaller tube but the info on the special jaws may change that and if the new job comes thru this will be on my soon to get list.  Bill
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2013, 07:35:49 AM »
Good to hear. The small OD jaws are a bonus also. Something tells me Baileigh will be doing that mod before long.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal