Author Topic: Shaft material  (Read 1679 times)

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Shaft material
« on: December 12, 2009, 01:19:22 PM »
Anyone have a clue what alloy the input shaft is on a VW 091 transaxle? Anyone have ability to analyze?
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I participate in your fantasy"

Offline Boilermaker

• Grunt worker
Re: Shaft material
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 09:39:59 PM »
I hope that you didn't already break it, did you....

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 09:43:27 PM »
No,no, not yet. :o ;D Hell i got to get it together first! LOL!!I was just wondering because if not I'll need to have one analyzed so as to properly anneal and reharden the modified VW 091 input shaft going into the busa/091 adapter.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I participate in your fantasy"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 09:45:34 PM »
I should have said reharden and temper. This is uncharted territory for me for sure. I'm feverishly gathering all I can on the subject.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 11:00:08 PM »
Maybe you should be looking at the center material of a clutch disc instead? Since its what normally rides on the shaft??

Just thinking outloud.

Two wrong metals can eat each other up but you KNOW the clutch center material is made to ride on it for a LONG time. 
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 06:01:45 AM »
Ya got the wrong idea my man. I agree but I am not using a clutch disc. TRhe input shaft will be driven by  one of the 2 Ramsey RPV chain sprockets which is 1117 4140 or 8620. depending on final selection.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 09:28:19 AM »
Ya got the wrong idea my man. I agree but I am not using a clutch disc. TRhe input shaft will be driven by  one of the 2 Ramsey RPV chain sprockets which is 1117 4140 or 8620. depending on final selection.

I have followed your progress on this machine enough to KNOW you are not using the actual clutch disc.

But the sprocket inside your custom casing WILL be riding where the clutch disc did.

Thats why I suggested trying to look a the clutchs center material. Its hardness should be duplicated as close as possible IMO.

You get too tough a metal and the tinyest play and it might chew the splines off the tranny input shaft. Just my thoughts on it.

They also sometimes treat metals in applications like this to be a sort of self lubricating cause in its normal enviroment they cannot have oil flinging around to get out on the clutch disc.

But in your app there will be lube there I believe? Correct?? I am quite sure of this being the chains there.

But even with lube I have seen splines fail. So I suggested looking at the clutches material is all. Might be worth the trouble in the long run.

AZ transaxle might be able to tell you the shaft specs and materials.

In not Spendeola's site likely states it as they like to tout how much better thiers is made. I seem to foggily recall they have talked about it and might openly tell you what it is right on thier site and how much better they claim thiers is. To them its a selling point.     

« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 09:31:08 AM by Nutz4sand »
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 05:52:50 PM »
I follow ya and don't disagree. Most ,if not all,clutch discs I have seen were obviously softer than the input shaft for just that reason. The clutch hub splines will fail long before and I have personally only seen 1 disc with the splines worn. But it's a moot point as you pointed out. My stuff rides in tranny fluid.  I appreciate the input at all times!
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal