Author Topic: Trianulation advise needed.  (Read 11189 times)

Offline Boostinjdm

Re: Trianulation advise needed.
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2009, 09:27:13 PM »
sure, I don't think you really need the inner plates if the cut on the brace tubes is real long.  I was going to suggest a hole in the outer plate and then I scrolled down and saw it.  remember that any little lips are going to accumulate shit, so if you put a plate on the outside, put it on top so it doesn't collect stuff.
This post has been edited due to content.

Offline BDKW1

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2009, 09:40:32 PM »
combination of tube and plate. Box the ends in with a nice trough hole W/tube welded through. Plate can be light like .090 on the bottom and.060 on the top......

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2009, 09:50:58 PM »
combination of tube and plate. Box the ends in with a nice trough hole W/tube welded through. Plate can be light like .090 on the bottom and.060 on the top......

I was thinking of plate at the midpoint between top and bottom of tubes, So just one plate/gusset of .125?
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2009, 09:53:47 PM »
Bad/good idea? I know the tube would strengthen 2 plates but I wonder if 2 are needed?
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2009, 10:02:28 PM »
I know you don't want to do the plate like bdk's top pic.  that puts the weak point right at the shock mount.  Either you need equal distribution of force so it all fails at the same time or you need to build it like a tank so your weakest link is still plenty strong.  I prefer all tubes so it can flex a little and not shear anything off.  Flex causes fatigue, but shearing stuff off will scare the shit out of you!

Offline BDKW1

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2009, 10:35:17 PM »
Eh, if the triangulation tubes are the same DIA and wall as the outside tubes and the plate is thinner, there won't be any problems. That's why there is a cross tube there to distribute the load. In the direction that the shock is putting force into the arm, the plates will do very little. They are there more for front to rear triangulation as it would be difficult to get tubes in that small of space and have them be effective.

The tube through the center is more for looks than anything else.......

Offline BDKW1

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2009, 10:37:28 PM »
Bad/good idea? I know the tube would strengthen 2 plates but I wonder if 2 are needed?

That would work also......

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2009, 10:53:38 PM »
By weak I meant relative to the rest of the  arm.  I think Fabr's pic with the plate with the hole is about the best.  His pic has equal amounts of tube on both sides of the shock mount.  that will distribute the load.

With your pic where the shock is at the edge of the plate, from the plate out is going to be rock solid and the tube is going to take the brunt of the force because it is not as strong as the plated structure.  for the for/aft support, a bigger plate is better. But we don't have just for/aft loads, so you have to think in 3-d and consider all loads, and the shock is a major one.

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2009, 10:59:27 PM »

I don't think you need the tube gussets....   As long as the main tubes can't buckle, they will not fail.  The light plates give the greatest strength/lb.  And they are in the correct place to keep the main tubes from buckling.  The one in compression (front) is the biggest concern IMO.

I do think you will need some additional undergusseting for the shock mount area, and it will in turn tie into the rear tube somehow.

What is your current arm and axle length?  and what size tube are you planning......

Surely you are going longer than 12" on the rear shock......  Wont it be a bit closer to the end of the arm?

Admin

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2009, 05:43:02 AM »
The axle will have plenty of clearance at full droop and bump correct correct? My axle on the car i built ran into the plane of the lower arm I had to make sure i had clearance.... ;D

Admin

« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2009, 05:44:18 AM »
Nevermind, you have plenty of width to the car not to worry about that... ;D

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2009, 07:58:48 AM »
How about some input now about mounting/gusseting the shock mount. I have  a couple of inches to play with above the tube to play with.Maybe something along these lines?
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2009, 08:04:29 AM »
Well after looking at the trailing arm thread, Maybey you whould just have them Waterjet from 1" plate:

http://dtsfab.com/index/index.php?topic=988.0

We need a picture of Enemy's setup hint hint.  He is the only one on here running rear A-arms that I know of.  His didn't seem to have a ton of gusseting, and wasn't as wide based at the frame, which IMO will add quite a bit of strenght to yours.

Ok I decided to grab some of Enemy's pictures from another thread.......   Couple crosstubes to keep anything from buckling.  No undergusseting for the shock mount....  You better ask DS what tube he used to get a baseline.

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2009, 08:05:44 AM »
How about some input now about mounting/gusseting the shock mount. I have  a couple of inches to play with above the tube to play with.Maybe something along these lines?

I am glad to see you decided to go with the 1" plate!

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2009, 08:07:42 AM »
Or this and  gussets plated on top? Maybe?
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal