Author Topic: I want it i need it.....its time  (Read 19525 times)

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
Re: I want it i need it.....its time
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2023, 07:22:12 AM »
ordered twin clutch discs, floater plate, pressure plate, pilot bearing and longer stud hardware kit as the hv24 bellhousing require 1.5" longer studs then the megasand did.  the price of the clutch has almost doubled since i bought that one. didnt think i needed a pressure plate but know the trans locked and killed my engine while trying to make it over the dune and again when i revv'd the motor and side stepped the clutch thinking maybe i could break the whatever loose inside the trans . all that did was stall the motor! i am surprised the input shaft to the trans didn't snap as small as that is. not quite $200 for the pressure plate, $350 for discs and floater plate!  all from kep of course. i probably could've re used the floater plate but it had a number of purple spots on it as well as the face of the pressure plate. flywheel side looks fine.
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2023, 09:29:39 PM »
So I dropped the flywheel off today for a light surfacing job and a new ring gear. Looked like the clutch may have spun a bit when the trans locked up climbing that dune.

Didn't realize how much sand was packing up under the pbs shifter/ center console.

Decided the simplest way to install the new trans was to cut the entire rear end off and start over. There was just no saving it the way I had hoped plus this significantly reduces the amount of grinding !

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2023, 06:52:12 AM »
I have my doubts that the trans locking up had anything to do with the evidence of slipping. IMO,it was slipping before that . Most likely durin g engagement. Do you rest your foot momentarily on the pedal at times such as anticipating the next shift?
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2023, 01:17:57 PM »
I have my doubts that the trans locking up had anything to do with the evidence of slipping. IMO,it was slipping before that . Most likely durin g engagement. Do you rest your foot momentarily on the pedal at times such as anticipating the next shift?

Going to say no on that one.

Loading it on the trailer for that last trip.....slipped the ever living $hit out of it to get it up the launch pad this my ramp gate !  ;D

Does that count  rofl LMAO

All cleaned up now.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2023, 01:22:15 PM by dsrace »

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2023, 01:59:37 PM »
Uhhhhhhh,you have something called a winch........................try it,you will like it.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2023, 05:02:14 PM »
Uhhhhhhh,you have something called a winch........................try it,you will like it.

The first time I loaded it, I wanted to see if I could w/o the winch. Spund the paddles on the ramp gate twice, slipped the clutch a lot but got it in. The return trip, locked the trans up , pulled axles and thought ......no problem, thats why I optioned in a 3500 lb winch  ;)   so while witching it up the gate, the winch went into thermal over load 3/4 of the way in. Luckily Allan a a couple others were there to help push it in.

I reached into feel the winch, wondering what happened and grabbed one of the main batt cable lugs on the winch. Burned my finger it was so hot. They had for to tighten the cable to the winch lugs and they were arcing. 30 mins later it cooled down and worked again but sounded bad. I replaced it with a 4500 lb winch with a better lower amp draw motor. Ya know, since they only used 8g wire to run 12' per cable with an 80 amp draw! That when I noticed they used 1/4" lag screws to mount the winch. I made steel plates to back the winch under the floor as well as to bolt the winch too. Was only able to catch the frame on the front ends of the plates but thats far better then lag screws into 3/4" plywood!  Now I have a winch to winch it in. Dune sport is a such a quality custom toyhauler manufacturer. Customer satisfaction is job one there!  kick

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2023, 05:33:06 PM »
That's why a winch needs to be vehicle mounted. My 3500# Warn on the busa buggy is just right. Pulled me out of the bottom of a deep bowl in Glamis. I can't say enough positive about the synthetic cable either. No more wire rope for me.  I really have no good place to mount a bigger one on the big buggy though. Damn!! Didn't plan that too well.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2023, 05:40:50 PM by fabr »
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2023, 10:00:33 AM »
No room on the front end to permanently mount one. I agree,Synthetic rope is def the best way to go. 

Hung the trans last night to get an idea of which direction to go. Going to have to get creative bending the lower cradle tubes. The r&p section dips lower then the case. The case on the megasand was narrower even thought the drive flange width was wider then the hv24.  I was considering returning to a 6 link rear end as I can set those up quickly. That and I still have the forward steel rods and mounts. I have the old 6 link carriers still as well.

Well with the way the drive flanges are recessed into the side cover slightly.....well that makes an a arm rear simpler now.   That statement has everything to do with tab placement and shock will have to mounted to the wheel bearing carrier irregardless. Not enough room inside this frame for coil overs.   

So I had decided to leave the center motor ( bushing mounted at frame) and mount the trans in 2 spots. I would cut the upper rear motor mount and make that a bolt on in case I ever need to pull the trans out.   A section of the rear cradle needs to be removable as well for that same reason. Didnt with the megasand as I thought, I won't have to pull this more then once down the road. Well here we are for the 3rd time and swapping out to a better one.  :m

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2023, 10:23:29 AM »
Sounds like a good plan. I like the mounting idea. Just in time for the next 20 revisions................ ;D ;D
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #54 on: May 31, 2023, 11:07:58 AM »
So my children were back over the long weekend as we had a funeral to attend. Didnt get much done on my rail even with good help. Got everything ground down and cleaned. Sleeves were beat in to the lower cradle. More then a tap fit  ;D had to use a sledge hammer to tap them in. Slipped and folded a bolt in the adaptor plate , went to un thread it and it broke. So 10 steps back, hoping the left hand drill bit set will back it out..... hoping ;)

Son in law and I got the eps installed and steerable in the red rail. It needs a controller and wired.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: May 31, 2023, 07:04:08 PM »
Progress is progress no matter which way it goes.  Looks like you have it under control as usual. 

I've been fighting alternator issues the last 2 years. I believe I finally have found a cure. I'll get some pics and post them up when it gets here. I have the pics of the mid board hub maintenance and will get that done as well. Been a bit busy of late.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #56 on: May 31, 2023, 09:46:40 PM »
Due to differences in case width i had to come up with a drop around the side cases. Not as tight as I would like to have achieved but as tight as my bender would do. 4 back to back bends and it works.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #57 on: May 31, 2023, 09:48:32 PM »
Progress is progress no matter which way it goes.  Looks like you have it under control as usual. 

I've been fighting alternator issues the last 2 years. I believe I finally have found a cure. I'll get some pics and post them up when it gets here. I have the pics of the mid board hub maintenance and will get that done as well. Been a bit busy of late.

Look forward to reading that.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #58 on: May 31, 2023, 09:53:36 PM »
So I was inserting my interference  fit sleeve tubes into the lower cradle , with a 10 lb sledge  ;D then the worst happened.... I missed and bent a bolt on the adaptor plate. Thank goodness for left hand drill bits and easy outs. Didn't try and bend the bolt back. I tried to un thread it but it snapped off flush the second I tried.  I know better then to make those tight fits but I got impatient.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: June 01, 2023, 06:17:37 AM »
Looks good especially that very tight 4 bends. difficult to do let alone duplicating it for the other side. Well done.   Yep those LH bits solve a lot of issues.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal