Author Topic: I want it i need it.....its time  (Read 25447 times)

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
Re: I want it i need it.....its time
« Reply #120 on: December 31, 2023, 08:15:48 PM »
Thanks. Re learning to weld has proven challenging.  The upper will be challenging.

" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline DeepBusch69

« Reply #121 on: January 01, 2024, 05:45:28 PM »
Great to see some progress, nice work as always

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #122 on: January 01, 2024, 07:08:36 PM »
Great to see some progress, nice work as always
Thanks ! Its definitely not my best work and challenging.  Not just the one eyed welding part either. The fuel cell will mount over the trans but its frame has to be removable and the cradle has to be wide enough that I can pull the trans with out having to pull the engine. Has to be strong enough as well as braced enough giving the number of small trees and bushes I have hooked and uprooted  :m also the upper a arm tubes need to be high enough to clear the side shift shaft with room for the side shift arm.  also, getting the pivot points as dead center to the cv pivot as possible. Im shooting for dead on but with the crude fixture ill settle for 1/8" off. Dead center would yield 0 axle plunge and with non plunge 930's thats optimal. They have about 1/16" play each so don't want to exceed that but I know one can. Not by much though. Have to get the drivers side done to make the arms then make a jig for those and match the other side.

Killed a step bit drilling 1" holes in the tube.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2024, 07:22:29 PM by dsrace »
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #123 on: January 02, 2024, 07:15:43 AM »
Ya know, the 2d would've been the simplest solution for a trans swap. Could've added 1" spacer to each flange and the cradle would've worked as the meagasand mid engine and 2d mid are roughly the same length.. My nose cone off the meagasan would swap over to the mendi . One can buy lazer cut weld on mounts for them as well and the 2d is cheaper then the hv24.  The draw to the hv is the 3rd thrust load support bearing and bigger bearing on the main shaft, internal oil pump and far larger reverse gear.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #124 on: January 02, 2024, 06:41:24 PM »
Bigger,better,harder,ultimately most satisfaction. Nothing worth doing is easy.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Generalg

• Grunt worker
« Reply #125 on: January 22, 2024, 07:17:11 AM »
I like the progress!

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #126 on: January 23, 2024, 07:32:05 AM »
I like the progress!

Thanks
Got a little done last weekend and hope to devote the coming weekend to it. Its a little farther along then that last pic.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #127 on: February 04, 2024, 09:21:38 PM »
Didn't get as much done as I wanted to. I am using a better welding helmet now, it does help. The left side is tabbed out for upper and lower a arm. The right side lower is done and the rear upper is in. Need to place the front upper and then it wall fall into place. After that I need to work on shift cable mounts and then fuel tank mounts.  onto a arms after that and I do have some pre bent pieces to use for mock up. Had to make a crude extension piece for the fixture to reach above and beyond an obstacle on the right side of the trans.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #128 on: February 05, 2024, 06:40:04 AM »
Don't you just love a challenge?  Looking good!
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #129 on: February 05, 2024, 07:01:21 AM »
Don't you just love a challenge?  Looking good!

The older I get.....no  :m

I had hoped to have gotten more done but ran out of time. The worst of it is almost complete though.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #130 on: February 05, 2024, 07:15:21 AM »
Wasn't really happy with long tabs pitched out at that angle. There was no other choice. May be over thinking things as that is o ly but 1 or two upper a arm mounts. I take 1" and cut 45's on each end making tube gussets to spread the load. I am going to weld a tube from those tabs to the upper frame  , at an angle, as well.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #131 on: February 05, 2024, 07:19:16 AM »
Had to make some special custom tabs that welded to the upright and cross tu e from the inside, and wanted a leg to reach out 3" onto the cross tube. Bent the ends in for a cross angle. Actually a compound bend to get it to wrap around the tu e a tad and then in over the cross tube. That was fun but that rear upper a arm tube is well supported. All the tabs are 1/4" thick steel. Like the trans mounts.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2024, 07:21:05 AM by dsrace »

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #132 on: February 05, 2024, 05:52:22 PM »
MIG is soooooooooooo much easier than TIG.  I still TIG almost everything on a buggy tho.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #133 on: February 05, 2024, 09:08:43 PM »
MIG is soooooooooooo much easier than TIG.  I still TIG almost everything on a buggy tho.

Correct. Im lucky to run a mig as it stands right now.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #134 on: February 07, 2024, 03:44:00 PM »
Sell boys, my youngest grandson is officially with us.....Archer

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal