Author Topic: Winter mods: whatcha got?  (Read 14135 times)

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
Re: Winter mods: whatcha got?
« Reply #90 on: April 13, 2022, 05:55:38 PM »
if the 125/175 worked well and you only added say 200 lbs with shock ratio's apprx the same as well as shock angles then you don't need to go much more really. this is if they worked for you though. i never saw you bottom out but i wasn't watching all the time. i did see budlight roll over  :m glad you were safe but what a site to see in slow motion. glenn's reaction was priceless  rofl
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline BrianN

« Reply #91 on: April 13, 2022, 06:08:55 PM »
Dang, I just typed a long response, and I got logged off and lost it all. Basically, my shocks were straight up and down before, and used all 16" of stroke. They are 38 degrees from 90 now. Your .56 ratio is almost identical to Accutunes.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #92 on: April 13, 2022, 06:17:58 PM »
you can adjust your log in time when you log in. or select stay logged in and i think that deactivates the timer. i think but have never tried

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #93 on: April 13, 2022, 06:22:48 PM »
technically you could get away with a 10" stroke shock now. a 10" stroke c/o would be 26.10" ext length vs your 40.10"? you currently have.  now i am not suggesting buying new shocks or that you want to either....just saying.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #94 on: April 13, 2022, 06:24:06 PM »
My thoughts are he wishes to sit too high. Period. with only 2 inches shock travel to ride height the spring rates will be way too high and the ride willl always suffer badly.  He needs to drop his ride height to  whatever is required to allow approx 4" (at least 3+ inches)in shock at ride height. For what we do and where/how we ride there isn't really any need for 15" ride height. Then he needs to determine the primary spring rate that will support his corner weight at that ride height. Next step is to calculate the main and tender spring rates needed to support his car at that shock travel. That will get him in the correct spring rate ball park. Then and only then should there be any thought to valving.

Let's just round his rear corner weight to 540 pounds and assume 4 inches of shock travel to ride height. That makes his primary spring rate needed to support car at ride height 540/4=135 pounds/inch. Rounded off that makes his main spring rate 340 and tender rate 225.

Same scenario but with 3" shock travel to ride height. 540/3=180 primary rate. That requires main rate of450 and tender rate of 300.

Bottom line is that the higher the dual rate used will make the ride just that more harsh unnecessarily.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #95 on: April 13, 2022, 06:27:24 PM »
you can adjust your log in time when you log in. or select stay logged in and i think that deactivates the timer. i think but have never tried
Set log in time to 0 to stay logged in until you decide to log out. I just stay logged in 24/7.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #96 on: April 13, 2022, 06:31:14 PM »
My thoughts are he wishes to sit too high. Period. with only 2 inches shock travel to ride height the spring rates will be way too high and the ride willl always suffer badly.  He needs to drop his ride height to  whatever is required to allow approx 4" (at least 3+ inches)in shock at ride height. For what we do and where/how we ride there isn't really any need for 15" ride height. Then he needs to determine the primary spring rate that will support his corner weight at that ride height. Next step is to calculate the main and tender spring rates needed to support his car at that shock travel. That will get him in the correct spring rate ball park. Then and only then should there be any thought to valving.

Let's just round his rear corner weight to 540 pounds and assume 4 inches of shock travel to ride height. That makes his primary spring rate needed to support car at ride height 540/4=135 pounds/inch. Rounded off that makes his main spring rate 340 and tender rate 225.

Same scenario but with 3" shock travel to ride height. 540/3=180 primary rate. That requires main rate of450 and tender rate of 300.

Bottom line is that the higher the dual rate used will make the ride just that more harsh unnecessarily.

why 540 lbs? his chart looked like 670 lbs.

basically your saying 30%droop at ride height for a better ride?

i completly agree that 300/450 is too stiff for what we do/how we ride.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2022, 06:33:55 PM by dsrace »

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #97 on: April 13, 2022, 06:36:54 PM »
you are correct in saying higher GC stiffens the ride. i am one of the odd ducts that pre fers a higher GC for my own personal reasons. it does make the ride a touch stiffer and can even cause po go sticking off dune lips. now i also run an air shock which adds another level of difficulty but easier to adjust. not as nice as coil assist air which btw they no longer offer according to mark at marks sand trans.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #98 on: April 13, 2022, 06:41:38 PM »
To further illustrate he currently has 540/2.125=254 rate. That's a whopping 625 and 435 !!!!! That's not ever going to compress to full bump and will ride like a rock.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #99 on: April 13, 2022, 06:44:13 PM »

540 is his sprung corner weight. You must deduct the unsprung weight from the total corner weight to get the sprung weight that is what spring rates are based on.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline BrianN

« Reply #100 on: April 13, 2022, 06:44:46 PM »
Understood. Accutunes numbers of 300/400 were with 4" to ride height, I thought, but could have misunderstood. At 2" to ride height, the numbers were EXTREME!  They figured both being 16" long, compared to my current 16"/18". Fabr, does your calculations include spring length? Sprung weight is 543.

Offline BrianN

« Reply #101 on: April 13, 2022, 06:46:45 PM »
Yes, those huge numbers are the same as theirs.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #102 on: April 13, 2022, 06:47:02 PM »

Not basically=absolutely!
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #103 on: April 13, 2022, 06:50:49 PM »
Understood. Accutunes numbers of 300/400 were with 4" to ride height, I thought, but could have misunderstood. At 2" to ride height, the numbers were EXTREME!  They figured both being 16" long, compared to my current 16"/18". Fabr, does your calculations include spring length? Sprung weight is 543.
Spring length is irrelevant when calculating spring rates. Spring length can be a factor especially in a scenario like yours where you are not using all of the travel to enable the use of the crossover collar.  If the crossover is never in play the only spring rate you will have is the dual rate that will bottom out easily.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #104 on: April 13, 2022, 06:56:29 PM »
Bear in mind the weights you used with a passenger added will not allow ANY backing off of the adjusters to lower the ride. I suggest you also calculate the needed spring rates without the passenger and use that since you can always add preload if needed to allow for additional weight. Add to that is the fact the nitrogen charge adds some spring rate as well and if your springs install with any preload that will also skew the numbers. It is very east to over spring your car. Err on the low side.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal