Author Topic: Torque specs  (Read 1392 times)

Offline BrianN

Torque specs
« on: March 12, 2022, 11:18:08 AM »
I just got off the phone with Kartek, to order new Type 1 VW to 930 cv stub axles. He said the axle nut needs to be torqued to 350 ft./lbs. I asked him to confirm that we are talking about a Stub Axle, and FT/LBS. He was adamant that it was. He said the micro stub was 250. Any opinions on these numbers? I definitely don't have a way to measure 350!

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
Re: Torque specs
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2022, 06:38:22 AM »
that is a hard one to answer. stock stub axles are weaker then the chromoly conversion stubs your using. the spacers your using may be stock or slightly stronger but stock vw stub axle tq is 226 ft lbs tq.  now stock bus stub axle tq is 350 ft lbs so it is very possible that your chromoly stubs do get 350 ft lbs. i cannot find any info on line pertaining to those stub axle. i do remember that it was a crazy tq spec on the axle nuts.  http://rockfordcv.com/Volkswagen_torque.htm
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2022, 06:50:25 AM »
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2022, 09:18:10 AM »
I can't remember the torque spec back when I worked at the VW dealership . I do remember that the torque wrench we used was a 1" drive and it was about 4 foot long. They had a chain that hooked into a slot in the rear wheel that ran to the beam front to keep the wheel from turning.  I don't doubt the spec you were given. I'm sure that the dealership had that torque multiplier stashed away somewhere in a dark corner since VW of America required dealerships to buy all the special tools but the owner had a habit of keeping many of the special tools out of sight and unused for some asinine reason.  Unfortunately that particular multiplier is application specific using stock drums. There are other universal multipliers in the market. Most are quite expensive.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2022, 09:56:57 AM by fabr »
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline BrianN

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2022, 10:03:25 AM »
Thanks y'all. That makes me feel better. Nobody at Kartek has ever led me wrong when buying from them, but I just needed reassurance, I guess! DS, I hope your tranny is "in production", and fabr, I have ran into a few delays, but hope to use your scales in the next week or so.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2022, 10:46:40 AM »
Thanks y'all. That makes me feel better. Nobody at Kartek has ever led me wrong when buying from them, but I just needed reassurance, I guess! DS, I hope your tranny is "in production", and fabr, I have ran into a few delays, but hope to use your scales in the next week or so.
As I told you,no problem.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline DeepBusch69

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2022, 01:53:15 PM »
My Gear One stub axles call for 250 ft-lb.  I always give them a little extra.  Had a hub strip once due to not tightening the axle nut enough, lesson learned.  Also I use a piece of angle iron to counteract the force and I found a torque wrench at the surplus store that goes to 3600 in-lbs; score for $40. 

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2022, 05:38:17 PM »
Whenever a discussion on torque comes up there is never (usually)any mention of what lube,if any,is spec'd to be used. There is a massive difference between dry and lubed achieved torque.  Did Kartek say dry or lubed Brian? If lubed what was the lube to be used?
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2022, 05:40:40 PM »
Mitch,that torque wrench reading in inch pounds at that high a torque is just weird!  :m
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline BrianN

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2022, 07:58:27 PM »
I guess I forgot to ask. Which is strange, because the very same day I loaned one of my torque wrenches, a digital torque adapter, axle nut socket, and break-over bar to a co-worker and I told him to find out if it (front CV axle nut on a Honda) needed to be lubricated. I have always done mine dry, but I have no educated answer to why.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2022, 08:20:25 PM »
This is an interesting very short article that just skims the surface.
https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/torque-lubrication-effects-d_1693.html#:~:text=The%20maximum%20tightening%20torque%20for%20a%20slightly%20lubricated,a%20dry%20bolt%20is%20reduced%20with%20approximately%2040%25.

An interesting chart.
Lubricant   Torque Reduction
(%)
Graphite    50 - 55
White Grease    35 - 45
SAE 30 oil    35 - 45
SAE 40 oil    30 - 40
No lube    0
I am surprised that graphite does such a good job compared to other lubes.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2022, 08:24:24 PM by fabr »
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2022, 03:05:06 PM »
that is surprising graphite does. unless specified i have always tand dry. now that is an interesting thought at the same time. so does cv grease transfered from ones hands count as lube? i sometimes spray the threads with wd to remove and it doesnt exactly dry fast but it is not assebly lube either.  now yes i know that one does try not to get greason on the threads. if i did i would wipe it off but that wont get it out of the threads. i know when i have installed head studs on a couple motors they call for a thread lube and specific tq specs. on the same note, what about cv bolts??? no way i can put those on w/o getting grease on the threads  :m

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2022, 03:06:20 PM »
last update on trans was basically...... lucky if i get it by may.

Offline big dave

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2022, 03:50:37 PM »
My Gear One stub axles call for 250 ft-lb.  I always give them a little extra.  Had a hub strip once due to not tightening the axle nut enough, lesson learned.  Also I use a piece of angle iron to counteract the force and I found a torque wrench at the surplus store that goes to 3600 in-lbs; score for $40.
thats funny i have that same  angle with holes in it  in my shop. imagine that

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2022, 10:17:39 AM »
well it took a few hrs friday but i got scotts rail on 3 out of 4 wheels. he blew a shock on that last trip. i forgot about about that too. i will make a tie rod to hold that corner up for transport. hope to get it home this weekend so i can start on it.

he started to make a few repairs 8? years ago and looks like he ordered most of the replacement parts. shock was left open on the floor. i will have to replace shaft but the body looks good.  i will need to cut some tube out and re do the inner 5 link mounting situation. will take some work and some more parts but it will be a fun rail again.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2022, 10:23:34 AM by dsrace »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal