Author Topic: No Sparky  (Read 9093 times)

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
No Sparky
« on: May 11, 2019, 08:47:30 PM »
Ok, guys. I have talked to Brian about this but still, haven't got any sparky.  Drowning

Doing a front end on this busa car and the owner has been trying to start it and it doesn't fire.  Ran when parked so it should run now.  It has been a few years since it ran.  He put new fuel in it and still no sparky.  You can spray ether in the intake and it will fire right off. We have twelve volts at the injectors but really don't know how to check if the ECU is signaling a ground so it can open.  When they wired the car originally they installed resistors in all the kickstand and other bull poop stuff so there is no doubt that stuff is right,   So throw me some idea's as to what's wrong.  Forty psi of fuel pressure. injector light is on, on the dash, have not idea what that means. 

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Re: No Sparky
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2019, 10:29:45 PM »
What codes are showing? If it fires with ether it has spark. The issue has to  be injectors not being triggered. You should be able to put a test light across the injector connector to check for ground signal. Check all the resistors. Check ALL grounds.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2019, 05:05:58 AM »
What codes are showing? If it fires with ether it has spark. The issue has to  be injectors not being triggered. You should be able to put a test light across the injector connector to check for ground signal. Check all the resistors. Check ALL grounds.

Where do you read codes?

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline Lance-W

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2019, 07:33:34 AM »

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2019, 08:00:01 AM »
+1 Lance!!
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2019, 10:38:00 AM »
i was at work when they called so didn't have a lot of time to talk. they did check and the inj's have batt voltage when key is turned on. not getting the ground signal from ecu. said all fuses good but the part that worried me is the own didn't disconnect the batt before welding on it and now it has no signal from ecu.
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2019, 10:47:48 AM »
now finding out what code it has will help for sure. if the fuel pump is wired through the ecu then the resistor in the factory switch ( if used) must be good or it wouldn't turn the fuel pump on either. some had a theft system but i believe that was a separate box. there is one common 12 volt wire with batt voltage and the ecu controls the grounds. i still have the suzuki manual some where. if you need it i can ship it to you.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2019, 02:47:36 PM »
talked to the owner fast.....didn't know he has a power commander III piggy backed in the system. need to unplug that and try and start.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 07:44:25 PM by dsrace »

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2019, 08:19:52 PM »
talked to the owner fast.....didn't know he has a power commander III piggy backed in the system. need to unplug that and try and start.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2019, 09:00:18 PM »
The welding could have fried either controller. Just passing on "bad" info,I weld on my stuff all the time with ecu's connected but I pay attention to putting ground clamp very close to weld area. Voltage follows the path of least resistance.Never place any electronics in the path to ground from electrode. So far it has always worked for me.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2019, 07:09:19 AM »
The welding could have fried either controller. Just passing on "bad" info,I weld on my stuff all the time with ecu's connected but I pay attention to putting ground clamp very close to weld area. Voltage follows the path of least resistance.Never place any electronics in the path to ground from electrode. So far it has always worked for me.

i have heard many state that and plenty of people don't have issues. i have seen that not work personally twice, so i always disconnect my batt. that's me though.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2019, 07:11:45 AM »
now in carls case i am pretty sure he lost his bazzaz from a bad rec/reg.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2019, 07:37:47 AM »

i have heard many state that and plenty of people don't have issues. i have seen that not work personally twice, so i always disconnect my batt. that's me though.
Disconnecting the battery makes no difference unless you mean you remove both + and - from the ecu itself.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2019, 07:40:28 AM »
nope just the batt. i have personally seen two vehicles now that have had blown main fuses just from welding on the exh. after that i have always disconnected the batt and have never had an issue. now in my case my ecu has a direct ground wire to the batt not through the chassis. 
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 07:45:17 AM by dsrace »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal