Author Topic: Home built tools  (Read 15091 times)

Offline Yoshi

Re: Home built tools
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2009, 10:01:13 AM »
my mil notching setup.  My biggest notch for my frame is around 72 degrees, I typically cut tubes at that angle on the saw first, then use the notcher to round it out...

the last pic is my work table that I design everything from panels to complete frames on.  The top is 3 layers of 1" MDF, I draw on it, drill boards into it, and even weld on it with no problems, I replace the top layer every so often, it only has a handfull of screws holding it down...It was initially built 16" off the ground, but I made a second layer that bolts to the bottom to raise it up higher, which is how it is unless i'm designing a new chassis...
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 10:02:45 AM by Yoshi »

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2009, 10:32:28 AM »
Hey Yoshi how far will your bender bend in one shot?

Thats takes up a pretty small floor space and easy to make portable. Plus it looks like it could use many different common bottle jacks of sufficient power.

You might offer the plans for that. 

Also do they call MDF board anything else? I have asked local and they looked at me phunny.
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2009, 10:38:19 AM »
Any lumber/building materials store that doesn't know what mdf is are idiots.Medium Density Fiberboard.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

RC51 Rhino

« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2009, 10:39:41 AM »
Medium Density Fiberboard... pretty much all the saw dust (no larger particles) glued together into the form of a sheet. Much stronger and even than regular particle board.

Offline Yoshi

« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2009, 11:00:12 AM »
Hey Yoshi how far will your bender bend in one shot?

Thats takes up a pretty small floor space and easy to make portable. Plus it looks like it could use many different common bottle jacks of sufficient power.

You might offer the plans for that. 

Also do they call MDF board anything else? I have asked local and they looked at me phunny.
120 degree in one shot.  The 2 post above me answered the MDF question.

I will sell the plans and the plasma cut parts for the new bender i'm gonna design.  You would just need to supply your own 2x2 tubing to build the stand, but my plans will show how to do everything.  I got the first parts back 5 months ago, just haven't done anything with them yet.  It will work the exact same as the one I had pictured, it will just look professional.  I'm thinking it will be around or $150, which will include my indexer (pictured below), and where to buy the hydraulic press and the dies...

I also forgot, the pics I posted earlier where from a few years ago, I actually have been using a digital protractor so my bends come out the same every time..  I also built a clamp for the end of my tube so I can index the tube for multiple bends..

I'm also including a pic of the new bender plates I have to show what it will look like, there is a full size auto battery in the pic to give some size comparison..

The plates in the pic are 1/4" for my mockup, the final will be outta 3/8" or 1/2" plate...

« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 11:04:41 AM by Yoshi »

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2009, 11:35:20 AM »
Very nice Yoshi. Reminds me of a midevil weapon of sorts! I like! For reasons I cannot explain I feel it needs a Dragon head atop it or etched somewhere.....

By indexer you mean the plane of bend bracket the degree wheel fits on to measure degrees of pivot?

For now I just have a tiny pair of vise grip pliers with angle iron welded to the jaws to grab the tube and a piece of angle iron welded to its back for my degree gauge (Looking for a better on of those too)
They do hold the gauge offset but the rotation is the same so it does not matter.

What do you sell that index bracket for by itself Yoshi?

Also added a pic of my tube hangers that hook over the rafters. Its a semi-tool I guess but it keeps the tube out of the way till needed. 
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline Yoshi

« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2009, 12:03:43 PM »

What do you sell that index bracket for by itself Yoshi?

I dunno, never thought about it.  The one  in the pic was a quickie, i'd prob. build a better one if I sold them...

Offline Reidy02

• VIP
  • What goes around comes around!
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2009, 04:37:02 AM »
Hey Yoshi were do you get those bits from that's in ya mill up the top there, that you're using to notch the pipe with? I've looked every where here in OZ and hey suprize suprize I can't find one!
VTR 1000 CUDA on the way.. What goes around comes around!!

Offline Yoshi

« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2009, 06:49:27 AM »
Hey Yoshi were do you get those bits from that's in ya mill up the top there, that you're using to notch the pipe with? I've looked every where here in OZ and hey suprize suprize I can't find one!

Here's the store to find your nearest location.....(should be able to order off the net if not close though, lol)
http://www.wttool.com/info-exec/view/store_locations/

Here's the bit I have always used for 1-1/4 TUBE, not PIPE, lol)...
http://www.wttool.com/product-exec/product_id/31446/nm/M_57_Roughing_End_Mills
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 06:54:15 AM by Yoshi »

Offline Tydra

• VIP
  • GRASSHOPPER
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2009, 05:33:27 PM »
when i decided to start my buggy, i built my bender first. it's a gottrikes bender with a 1.315 OD x 5.5 dia pro-tools die (what badland suggested), it works great. with a digital torpedo level and a bit of practice i was making bends accurate to a couple on tenths.

Admin

« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2009, 06:13:17 PM »

www.enco.com

how far are you fromm bazz, i am getting ready to ship him a small package, could include one maybe, I have a good used 1.25 one...

artie on edge

« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2009, 06:19:12 PM »
Sorry to jump in Bug but laughing as I type here... poor old Baz and Reidy are as far apart as it is possible to get in this country (give or take a few kms) you picked the best possible pair of guys to ask that question of... ;D  ;D

Admin

« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2009, 06:20:30 PM »
Sorry to jump in Bug but laughing as I type here... poor old Baz and Reidy are as far apart as it is possible to get in this country (give or take a few kms) you picked the best possible pair of guys to ask that question of... ;D  ;D

3: maybe bazz would drop it in the mail for me once there... ;D

Offline Reidy02

• VIP
  • What goes around comes around!
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2009, 06:24:44 AM »
Yeah thanks very much I would appreciate it! Not sure where Baz is but I'd be more than happy to pay for postage! If that's Ok with Baz? I'm in the Blue Mountains west of Sydney so if Baz could find out how much postage is I'll fix him up!!
VTR 1000 CUDA on the way.. What goes around comes around!!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal