Author Topic: Enclosed Trailer or Not?  (Read 3017 times)

Online fabr

• Administrator
Enclosed Trailer or Not?
« on: April 25, 2014, 08:41:59 AM »
 A recent post by LanceW cautioned against a fold up rear ramp on an open trailer due to most being made from expanded metal and the HUGE amount of drag it is. I couldn't agree more. It is amazing how much mileage it will cause you to lose. For the last 30 years or so I have had all enclosed trailers for race cars and toy hauling. Why? Well ,because of the same reason. A full tube frame car on an open trailer might as well be a parachute behind you. LOL!!!!

Are any of you taking any steps to help the aero drag of your trailers,open or not?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 08:49:00 AM by fabr »
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
Re: Enclosed Trailer or Not?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 10:19:46 AM »
I made one trip to LS with old car on open trailer.  Between the wind wigglin wires causeing elec problem on that trip and the damn onlookers at gas station doubt I'd do it again.  One tried to get in car!!!!!!!!!! 4:  I took off ramp gate and just used loading boards for that ride. 
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline deano

• VIP
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 01:30:33 PM »
I WAS  TOLD TO DRIVE A BIGGER TRUCK & YOU WILL NOT FEEL THE DRAG  ???

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 02:04:17 PM »
I didn't feel it anywhere other than in the pocket book.......................
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 03:04:14 PM »
I can tell a big diff in my 14' flatbed from being empty to just hauling the quads.
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline Dunebound69

• Time flies when drinking rum!
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 03:30:43 PM »
I have made the LS trip on back to back trips. First was with my 22 bumper pull enclosed. Next trip I used my 20 flat bed. I didn't see any savings in fuel despite the flat bed being lighter. I had firewood in boxes on the  front and it pulled harder than my enclosed. Cross winds did not effect the flat bed run like the enclosed did. Old 454 pickup made 6-7 mpg with either on. I was rolling on both trips. Got a reward for my driving on the way back with the flatbed trip. Both trailers have the same size tires and axles 6k 235/80/16. Both had the same over all length. Flatbed had 2 more feet of tongue.

I never want to go back down on a flatbed. I don't want to tent camp. I hate stopping for gas with the rail out in plan site. Every guy and little boy flock to it. Now if it were the fairer sex coming over, bye bye enclosed!

I recently got an 7x12 v-nose enclosed. I think it pulls easier than DS 12 foot utility with the expanded metal gate up. Those gates grab air like crazy. IMO when those trailers are empty I think those gates put the trailer in tongue light to negative tongue weight.

Taller tires pull easier boys. Less revolutions per mile = less rolling resistance = better mpg. Tempted to put the 235/80/16 on my little 12 footer. Dam near did when I ordered it. Just didn't  work on paper.
Time flies when having rum!
Famous last words, Watch this
Government can not give you anything it dose not take from someone else first. When we stop laughing we start dying.
"When you stop doing things for fun you might as well be dead" Hemingway

Offline BDKW1

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 04:11:58 PM »
Yeah, but those parachutes really make the trailers stable.  rofl

My nieghbors old buggy trailer had a 4X8 expanded metal ramp on the back. That thing never swayed no matter how light the tongue was. I cut it in half and put hinges in the middle for him. I think he picked up over 1MPG towing. Said he didn't have to keep his poor little Toyota floored to do 55 any more either.

Online fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 05:39:29 PM »
LOL!!!! SO true!!
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline deano

• VIP
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 06:44:43 PM »
I have only been around towing with 3/4 ton & bigger to semis  been told truck is never too big  ???

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2014, 01:55:28 PM »
I have a 102" x 144" uility trailer with the fold up ramp gate made with expanded metal by h&h trailers. I bought It in 2006 and it has been a very handy trailer to have around. now pulling it with an suv you down shift on every hill in a slight to mod wind and it only weighs 1300 lbs! if you put the gate down the suv never down shifts on the hills in anywind pulling it!!!! now put a rail on it and leave the gate up and you can feel it tug once and a while behind a diesel!!  they do have an amazing amount of drag and I have always planned on modding the gate to fold in two but it is just so handy to leave it the way it is lol and I don't take it down the interstate anymore anyways but when I need to run to the lumber store or what not that I need something smaller to get into tighter places it's great. now for hauling long distances then there is no replacement for an enclosed trailer or such and yes wind will get to them a bit better but that's why they make goosenecks and fifth wheels!!!!!!!!  lol
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2014, 07:12:18 PM »
I have a 102" x 144" uility trailer with the fold up ramp gate made with expanded metal by h&h trailers. I bought It in 2006 and it has been a very handy trailer to have around. now pulling it with an suv you down shift on every hill in a slight to mod wind and it only weighs 1300 lbs! if you put the gate down the suv never down shifts on the hills in anywind pulling it!!!! now put a rail on it and leave the gate up and you can feel it tug once and a while behind a diesel!!  they do have an amazing amount of drag and I have always planned on modding the gate to fold in two but it is just so handy to leave it the way it is lol and I don't take it down the interstate anymore anyways but when I need to run to the lumber store or what not that I need something smaller to get into tighter places it's great. now for hauling long distances then there is no replacement for an enclosed trailer or such and yes wind will get to them a bit better but that's why they make goosenecks and fifth wheels!!!!!!!!  lol

I got a trailer that I use for my day trips that has a fold in half expanded metal gate.  Single axle probably 1K with out the buggly on it.  Pulls like a dream.  No drag.   

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2014, 08:54:13 AM »
well I just might have to give it a shot. I saw dunebounds new enclosed last night and he has done a nice job on it so far and it is the same size as my open utility trailer.  I might have to get another enclosed down the road lol thanks dune for that lol
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal