Author Topic: Cable shifter... any ideas?  (Read 8556 times)

Offline komelika

• Never stop learning!
Re: Cable shifter... any ideas?
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2013, 09:27:10 AM »
zx12 clutch mounts on top of basket.  I made a bracket that bolts to side of motor.  Need to allow some space to not overheat those cylinders.  Mine did at dunes, slightly pulls clutch in and burned up clutch.  And I use 3/8 tube for the shifter linkage, I like the solid feel.  On a 2 seater w/shifter in middle of seats its a real close to straight run back.  I can shoot some pics if you would like?

CRAP gotta order clutch if I'm gonna make LS in 6 weeks......................... drowning

Yeah man, shoot some pics! Thanks. I'm developing an idea. I can't find my stock clutch cable sheath so I'll have to come up withan alternative. I think it may have got thrown away in the mix. I'm thinking I can fab the left side engine mount to house the slave cylinder in a good position to line up with the cable and mount a sheath to keep everything somewhat rigid. 

Yeah, I was using a 3/8 tube for the shifter and it felt a little too flexible like it may bend. I need to throw together some shifter stops. Well as it turns out I accidentally broke it yesterday right at the heim joint in the garage. Better than a fail in the desert though. I think I'm going to go with 3/8 rod instead of tubing.
If you remain calm while everything around you is complete chaos... then you probably haven't fully understood the situation!

http://sandjunky710.blogspot.com/

Offline komelika

• Never stop learning!
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2013, 10:22:24 AM »
Just ordered a CNC slave cylinder. Local shop wanted $92 for an EMPI.  thumb down
If you remain calm while everything around you is complete chaos... then you probably haven't fully understood the situation!

Offline Voodoochikin04

• Vip Eye candy Supplier!!
  • VIP
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2013, 10:24:48 AM »
for my shifter I used 3/8" solid rod and female heims.  Also a z-bar since I didnt have line of sight from shifter to shifter..    for my clutch I went with hand clutch on the shifter, but originally had a pedal clutch.  I ran the stock clutch cable along the side of the frame and solid mounted the cable at a point.  I then had a rod with heim coming off the clutch pedal and mounted it solidly right in front of the cable mount.  I made an adapter to hook to the rod and accept the lug on the clutch cable.  it worked great. not a point of failure as the factory setup has a handle that accepts the clutch cable lug. 
"it's only when you have lost everything, that your free to do anything"

Offline komelika

• Never stop learning!
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2013, 10:32:06 AM »
Any idea how long a factory clutch cable is? I'm thinking 3-4 ft. I'm thinking I'll just order a new one and route it to the A pillar crossbar behind the seat. There is plenty of room there and it keeps the slave cylinder far enough away from heat.

Offline Voodoochikin04

• Vip Eye candy Supplier!!
  • VIP
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2013, 11:05:56 AM »
Make sure your clutch cable has a nice big flowing loop/arch to where ever you mount it.  if its pulled tight or goes around a tube tight, it will bind or be very hard to pull. 
"it's only when you have lost everything, that your free to do anything"

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2013, 11:56:15 AM »
Try #2 on this.  Pics a little dark, hope you can make it out.

Threw one of shifter rod just for fun of it.  ;D
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline komelika

• Never stop learning!
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2013, 03:09:25 PM »
Looks good. My clutch cable goes through the sprocket cover and operates the linkage inside. I've been looking over the buggy and I think I will run the stock cable to the cockpit and mount the slave cylinder beside my seat. There is a ton of room there to mount it and it is out of the way. It also allows for a looping cable placement with no tight spots like mentioned.

I went to metal supermarket and bought 3/8" rod for my shifter. She accidentally rang me up for 6 ft., which was $18! I said no, I only needed 3 ft. and it was $15! I took the 6 footer. That place ain't cheap!

Offline komelika

• Never stop learning!
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2013, 03:10:16 PM »
I appreciate everyone taking the time to post pics!

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2013, 08:22:02 PM »
I will run the stock cable to the cockpit and mount the slave cylinder beside my seat. There is a ton of room there to mount it and it is out of the way. It also allows for a looping cable placement with no tight spots like mentioned.

I like that idea!! Make sure it is below the MC though
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline komelika

• Never stop learning!
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2013, 09:58:48 PM »
I like that idea!! Make sure it is below the MC though

Yeah, that should be easy enough. Thanks for the tip.

Offline komelika

• Never stop learning!
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2013, 10:34:44 PM »
Just ordered everything I think I need for shifter redo and hydraulic clutch. Assuming I didn't miss anything I may be ready for a shakedown in the next couple of weeks.

One last thing to deal with is a dead battery. Took it to batteries plus to get checked out. If its faulty it gets replaced, if not I have to figure out what is pulling on the battery with the ignition off.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2013, 06:24:05 AM »
You will probably need a diode in one of the wires in the charging circuit to stop that. The battery is not likely the culprit.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline komelika

• Never stop learning!
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2013, 08:26:24 AM »
Batteries + called and the battery is good. The only thing I changed between good battery and dead battery is I hooked the ignition signal wire (with the 100 ohm resistor) to the ignition switch, whereas before I had it jumped to the fuse block. I'm not sure how it would drain the battery as it is, but I'm probably going to run it to the fuse block and use one of the abandoned lighting circuits for the 12v ECM ignition signal.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 08:37:14 AM by komelika »

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2013, 09:22:07 AM »
You will probably need a diode in one of the wires in the charging circuit to stop that.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Wyattboche

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2016, 11:17:48 PM »
Try #2 on this.  Pics a little dark, hope you can make it out.

Threw one of shifter rod just for fun of it.  ;D
What shifter did you use?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal