Author Topic: Cable shifter... any ideas?  (Read 8560 times)

Offline komelika

• Never stop learning!
Cable shifter... any ideas?
« on: August 22, 2013, 01:47:38 PM »
I went with a GSXR-1000 for my power and unfortunately it doesn't have a hydraulic clutch so I will be using cable. I'm brainstorming ideas to make it work. It will be peddle operated. Is there a one stop shop kind of place to buy everything I need to make a custom clutch cable?
I also thought of going with 1/8 wire rope and using 1/4 brake line to route the cable to the peddle, which I think will work, but I'm not sure how to fit the ends and seal it from dirt and debris.

Any ideas from the bad ass buggy builders is appreciated! Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 01:59:22 PM by komelika »
If you remain calm while everything around you is complete chaos... then you probably haven't fully understood the situation!

http://sandjunky710.blogspot.com/

Offline fastcorvairs

• Lifetime VIP
  • If it is worth doing!!!!!! Do it in the sand
Re: Cable shifter... any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 02:20:39 PM »
I went with a GSXR-1000 for my power and unfortunately it doesn't have a hydraulic clutch so I will be using cable. I'm brainstorming ideas to make it work. It will be peddle operated. Is there a one stop shop kind of place to buy everything I need to make a custom clutch cable?
I also thought of going with 1/8 wire rope and using 1/4 brake line to route the cable to the peddle, which I think will work, but I'm not sure how to fit the ends and seal it from dirt and debris.

Any ideas from the bad ass buggy builders is appreciated! Thanks!

Don't want to rain on your day but, running cable thru steel line is not a good idea.  It will galled and bind on you.  Best to build all solid linkage with rod ends and such.  I have used 3/16 rod ends to build some pretty elaborate clutch and throttle lines in the day.  I just don't think you will do any good with cable and tube.   Cable running over pulleys will be ok if you can finger it out. 

You got and aircraft surplus store anywhere around you?  That would be a good source.  Or a cable fabrication company.  Steel flex Teflon lined with sealed ends.

If I believe I cannot do something it makes me incapable of doing it. But when I believe that I can, then I acquire the ability to do it , even if I didn't have it at the beginning.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 02:26:32 PM »
You just need a morse type cable. Lots of places make then custom length,problem solved.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline komelika

• Never stop learning!
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 02:58:18 PM »
Morse would be fine, but it needs to be a cable end to work with the stock clutch. I could probably figure out how to mate a cable to the end of a push/pull rod, but I don't want an extra point of possible failure. As far as the cable in steel issue, McMaster sells vinyl coated stainless cable, which should eliminate the galling issue.
If you remain calm while everything around you is complete chaos... then you probably haven't fully understood the situation!

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 03:07:03 PM »
Just forget the idea of vinyl coated cable. Will not work. Guarantee it. Fast is quite correct. I don't understand what you mean about an extra point of failure.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline komelika

• Never stop learning!
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 03:30:30 PM »
To couple a cable, probably right outside the chain guard/clutch mechanism, to a Morse Push/Pull rod just seems like an extra point that could potentially fail vs. having one length of cable or one pull rod. Maybe not, depending on how you couple it. I don't know if they sell a fitting for that purpose or if I'd have to make something. I could probably just drill a hole through a long nut, loop the cable through it, and crimp on a connection sleeve. Is that kind of what you were thinking?

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2013, 03:55:24 PM »
Do you have a pic of the clutch connection? I'm not familiar with it.
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2013, 04:57:47 PM »
Forget the cable, go hydrolic.  http://www.sandparts.com/servlet/the-17501/CNC-Pull-Style-dsh-Universal-dsh-Blue-%23300-dsh-BU/Detail

X2, I used a push style cnc slave cylinder and a custom bracket. Make sure you dont overtravel the clutch. Just enough to disengauge. Way less headache. Then a morse cable for the shifter.
Its better to be a smartass than a dumbass!

Offline komelika

• Never stop learning!
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2013, 05:03:26 PM »
Punkur do you have a pic of your setup? I planned on going with the slave cylinder from the beginning, but I thought it might be overkill with this clutch. It's less than 1/4 inch pull to full clutch.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2013, 05:37:24 PM »
Sounds like punkur and carl has your fix!
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2013, 05:39:15 PM »
I could not find any great picks but you get the idea with this one. I used a bolt behind the clutch pedal as a stop to prevent over travel

Offline Punkur67

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2013, 05:50:35 PM »
And here is how I attached the shifter to the motor

Offline komelika

• Never stop learning!
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2013, 06:14:29 PM »
Thanks man. I can't do it the same way, but it does give me an idea.

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2013, 05:36:02 AM »
zx12 clutch mounts on top of basket.  I made a bracket that bolts to side of motor.  Need to allow some space to not overheat those cylinders.  Mine did at dunes, slightly pulls clutch in and burned up clutch.  And I use 3/8 tube for the shifter linkage, I like the solid feel.  On a 2 seater w/shifter in middle of seats its a real close to straight run back.  I can shoot some pics if you would like?

CRAP gotta order clutch if I'm gonna make LS in 6 weeks......................... drowning
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal