Author Topic: toy hauler suspension  (Read 4932 times)

Offline BDKW1

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
Re: toy hauler suspension
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2013, 08:05:27 AM »
mine was the 5k axles on 33" spacing and 26" eye to eye leaf springs tandem so it was $158 shipped.
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2013, 11:32:25 AM »
just got back and the air hitch and dexter ez flex + shocks was worth every penny and time!!!!!!!!  I hung a jacket on the coat hook on the wall and it was still hanging there after 8 hr drive and 2 state lines with crap roads in Oklahoma!!

Offline BDKW1

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2013, 07:39:48 PM »
Air hitch? which one?

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2013, 09:09:00 PM »
ezflex cost?

Less than Torflex axles.  ;)

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2013, 05:50:52 AM »
torflex axles ,contrary to popular belief , ride just as rough as leaf springs. To be honest ,I'm not convinced they ride any smoother than leafs. I tow both all the time.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Dunebound69

• Time flies when drinking rum!
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2013, 10:52:26 AM »
I have goggles, tape, shirts, towels all hanging in the trailer. All made it home on their hooks. No shocks, no air hitch, 7 k leaf spring axles. I know its not a "camper" that I am towing. Could be my full steel frame dose not swing around like all that kindling.

Not a fan of torsion axles here. Buddy has them on his enclosed. Kept blowing tires till he noticed the tires tilted in far enough to rub and cut the side walls. Had to put spacers in. It was as picked up from the dealer. Just not convinced of there strength.
Time flies when having rum!
Famous last words, Watch this
Government can not give you anything it dose not take from someone else first. When we stop laughing we start dying.
"When you stop doing things for fun you might as well be dead" Hemingway

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2013, 11:11:19 AM »
dune you also have slipper springs and I think those are the best of the bunch.       nothing would stay put before but does now so that was all I needed to know.

here is a link to the air ride hitch I bought. mines on the left   http://www.mountainmaster.net/hitches.html

along with the ez flex and shocks I like it!!  and no I don't like torsion axles either they are not strong enough imo but they might ride smooter on pavement but not for me.

Offline Dunebound69

• Time flies when drinking rum!
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2013, 12:45:56 PM »
The caparison to my highly modified cargo trailer to commercially made campers is unfair. Mine has a much lower center of gravity that helps stability. All steel structure is more rigid. There is no doubt in my mind that all the mods DS has made are worth it and needed IMO. His relaxed state when he got to LS is testimony to that. He drove through some harsh winds.

I had the chance to speak with a retired engineer from Winnebago (he is driving a truck part time to occupy his time now.) Bet we talked for over an hour. The stability of motorhomes and camper trailers has been a know and ongoing issue. They went out on the interstates and filmed campers going down the road. The noted that the chassis were working properly. But the super structure was flexing out of square from the chassis. Going from squares to parallelograms. I suspect this is more pronounced on the toy haulers since they have fewer interior walls at the back. This motion then transfers to the chassis. So the shocks have to be doing a lot to help.

Knowing how happy DS is with his hitch and shocks has made me think about doing shocks on the trailer. Know something can be better is a real bitch. Thanks DS for putting another like to do on the list for the money pit I call a trailer. Dam thing is like a buggy, its never done. The air hitch concept just rocks in my book. Anything that takes the shock load off has got to be better for the trailer and tow truck. I had air bags on my last truck and loved them. They took some load off the leaf springs and made a huge difference in trailer bucking. Didn't hit the overload springs. I suspect they acted a lot like the air hitch to some degree by softening that transition. Been thinking of adding those to my 3500. I don't have the cash for a air hitch.

Now should we talk about going from bumper pull to fifth wheel/ gooseneck? I know DS just loved his bumper hitch camper! ;D ;D bs1 Sarcasm

Dam, that was a lot to type. Stuck at home off my foot. Not much else to do.... I even paid all the bills. So internet here I go. Shit here goes some money...
Time flies when having rum!
Famous last words, Watch this
Government can not give you anything it dose not take from someone else first. When we stop laughing we start dying.
"When you stop doing things for fun you might as well be dead" Hemingway

millbilly

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2013, 10:06:38 PM »
I have a class 5 http://www.airsafehitches.com/receiver_hitches.html#Class5 and a
http://www.trailersaver.com/airsuspensionhitches_ts3.php 5th and goose.
I don't feel the trailer behind a C4500 GMC. A very smooth ride in the truck.
The trailer looks smooth till you look at the hitch going down the road. Just walk to the back seat. Pulled a 39.5' toy hauler.. didn't hardly feel it.. 2500' pin weight. 18,000 empty. Nice trailer but,what a pig.
Don't like to tow without one.
Worth the money IMO.

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2013, 12:43:51 PM »
The caparison to my highly modified cargo trailer to commercially made campers is unfair. Mine has a much lower center of gravity that helps stability. All steel structure is more rigid. There is no doubt in my mind that all the mods DS has made are worth it and needed IMO. His relaxed state when he got to LS is testimony to that. He drove through some harsh winds.

I had the chance to speak with a retired engineer from Winnebago (he is driving a truck part time to occupy his time now.) Bet we talked for over an hour. The stability of motorhomes and camper trailers has been a know and ongoing issue. They went out on the interstates and filmed campers going down the road. The noted that the chassis were working properly. But the super structure was flexing out of square from the chassis. Going from squares to parallelograms. I suspect this is more pronounced on the toy haulers since they have fewer interior walls at the back. This motion then transfers to the chassis. So the shocks have to be doing a lot to help.

Knowing how happy DS is with his hitch and shocks has made me think about doing shocks on the trailer. Know something can be better is a real bitch. Thanks DS for putting another like to do on the list for the money pit I call a trailer. Dam thing is like a buggy, its never done. The air hitch concept just rocks in my book. Anything that takes the shock load off has got to be better for the trailer and tow truck. I had air bags on my last truck and loved them. They took some load off the leaf springs and made a huge difference in trailer bucking. Didn't hit the overload springs. I suspect they acted a lot like the air hitch to some degree by softening that transition. Been thinking of adding those to my 3500. I don't have the cash for a air hitch.

Now should we talk about going from bumper pull to fifth wheel/ gooseneck? I know DS just loved his bumper hitch camper! ;D ;D bs1 Sarcasm

Dam, that was a lot to type. Stuck at home off my foot. Not much else to do.... I even paid all the bills. So internet here I go. Shit here goes some money...

no problem lol just add it to the add shitter and shower to the camper list and your good!!  rofl rofl

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2013, 12:47:42 PM »
I have a class 5 http://www.airsafehitches.com/receiver_hitches.html#Class5 and a
http://www.trailersaver.com/airsuspensionhitches_ts3.php 5th and goose.
I don't feel the trailer behind a C4500 GMC. A very smooth ride in the truck.
The trailer looks smooth till you look at the hitch going down the road. Just walk to the back seat. Pulled a 39.5' toy hauler.. didn't hardly feel it.. 2500' pin weight. 18,000 empty. Nice trailer but,what a pig.
Don't like to tow without one.
Worth the money IMO.

I really like the Omni 22k myself (  http://airsafehitch.com/air-hitches/fifth-wheel/omindirectional  )    (  )  but I don't care which one a guy buys, having one is better than not! lol     

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2013, 01:00:02 PM »

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2013, 01:09:40 PM »

Offline BDKW1

« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2013, 06:54:40 PM »
I have been looking at the Cody hitch unit. I picked up one of there hitch's of CL for the F250. Really well made. I will see how the toy hauler tows before I drop the coin though.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal