Author Topic: Solar Powered Toyhauler  (Read 3719 times)

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
Solar Powered Toyhauler
« on: December 29, 2011, 09:27:13 PM »
Organizing some pics tonight, thought I'd post a few up of the conversion I did on the enclosed over the Summer and Fall.

I bought this 24' H&H from DS last year with the intentions of adding a shitter/shower, Microwave, fridge, storage, and a HTPC with some very quiet  ;) audio and video support AND be able to run it all on Solar power and a 4 bank battery array. Since my last "enclosed" was a tent in the back of my truck, I thought I better be able to rough it in this rig ;D ;D

I did not get the panels mounted to the roof before leaving for LS for Thanksgiving so not much accomplished on that side yet. Although Im wired and ready to go when it starts warming up. I have two panels for now with room for 4 total on the roof when the wallet will allow it. $$  bs1 $$

Kyocera KD135GX-LPU http://www.wholesalesolar.com/products.folder/module-folder/kyocera/KD135GX-LPU.html These are awesome panels and friggin indestructible. Bang for the buck and some great power output. I have many more projects in mind with solar power, this shit is just friggin cool! I have been fascinated with solar ever since my parents got us those RadioShack "1000 in 1" lab kits 35+ years ago.. Remember those kids?  ;) Now THOSE were the coolest toys Santa could shit down our chimney! Should have one in every baby's crib a couple weeks after delivery IMHO! (instead of an old CELL PHONE  eyes )

Started by building the walls and cabinetry with a bunch of old lumber from a deck I tore out of my back yard when I moved into my house. I  used some "Deck Bright" cleaner on the boards, hit them with the power washer, then some stain work. Im using the roughest boards I could find in the pile, thought it added character!  :) Have lots of finish work to do yet, but its getting close.

Recessed some LED lighting into the archway to the shower. Also illuminates the pantry.

Using a Morningstar 30amp charge controller http://www.wholesalesolar.com/products.folder/controller-folder/prostar15M.html for Solar stuff along with a BatteryMinder to handle the batteries when on shore-power.
http://batteryminders.com/batterycharger/catalog/BatteryMINDer-12-Volt-2-4-or-8-Amp-Charger-Maintainer-Desulf-p-16133.html

Shore power/ Battery switching is done through a Samlex 30 amp automatic transfer switch and a Tripp Lite PV3000HF.

More to come!

"If the hate of men could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world."   ~Nikola Tesla

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
Re: Solar Powered Toyhauler
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 09:46:34 PM »
Storage cabinet and entertainment center. I usually have a few spare parts laying around to build a couple good running computers, so I pieced together a HTPC with all my movies and music on the hard drives. Have it feeding a little Samsung monitor in the wall.

Ive build a few "Garage-Caves" for guys using these and the previous Z-5500's http://www.logitech.com/en-us/speakers-audio/home-pc-speakers/devices/7929 For the money, you will NOT be disappointed! Very clean sound and the sub will shake a 24x30 quit nicely! Computer speakers and low power HTPC's are perfect for campers/haulers.

Sub area acts as a 5th order banndpass box when its all closed up..It friggin overkill and rocks the trailer  ;D

Borrowed a 100" projector screen from work and mounted it on the ramp gate. Projector is quick release ceiling mount and auto switches from the small monitor when powered up.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 10:02:01 PM by Enemy »
"If the hate of men could be turned into electricity, it would light up the whole world."   ~Nikola Tesla

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 10:24:44 PM »
Stuffing a Shitter/shower in the "V"!! Friggin weeeee!!
 I do have a few mods and finish work to do, but couldn't be happier with how its performing so far. I will upload the completed pics as it goes along.

Using an Eccotemp FVI-12-LP Tankless Water Heater in the corner. Its Doing an awesome job! Lots of adjustability to match your PSI needs with your location and shower head used. I am running it on its lowest heat setting and has been really good on propane while still putting out very hot water with a Low-Flow RV shower head.

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 05:52:59 AM »
So next trip I say everyone just ruffs it with Enemy.  I'd seen some of the solar stuff you were doing and DS said you were doing a projector screen, but damn. 

Whats you guess on extra weight?  That treated wood is heavier than some lightweight paneling stuff
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 08:52:16 AM »
I would say that I added 150lbs to the nose? That wall is not all that heavy, pretty easy to move around by myself.. Extra weight was needed! Trailer felt a bit tongue light before the conversion. I about blew out a nut trying to get the old MDF cabinet work out the door! So I may have just slightly offset the previous weight.

Offline Doug Heim

• Bad @$$ Buggy Builder & Parts Supplier
  • Forum Sponsor
    • Doug Heim's Photo Bucket
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2011, 09:03:59 AM »
Looks like a portable love shack to me with a place to wash up when your done!

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2011, 07:42:08 PM »
Looks like a portable love shack to me with a place to wash up when your done!

rofl

Toyhauler, camper, tailgating rig... now love shack
 rofl rofl

Offline Engineer

• Inquisitor
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 01:02:47 PM »
Man, that looks great!

So the solar panels run the A/C right?

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2012, 07:20:04 AM »
the pics do look good but it looks even better in person!
" the less talent they have, the more pride, vanity and arrogance they have. All these fools, however, find other fools who applauded them " .    ERASMUS 1509

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2012, 10:44:11 AM »
Man, that looks great!

So the solar panels run the A/C right?

Thanks Eng!

This small of an array will not keep up with the AC for very long. It will maintain a run if it is already powered up and going from shore power, but the inverter will not cold start it with out kicking out. But I have also been having some issues with the AC snapping a breaker every now and then, and I can hear the AC pulling way down for some reason when I switch it on. Im new to camper AC units and finding out how much they efficiently SUCK!

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 09:17:11 AM »
Trailer is looking COOL!!!! I see you're a man of like thinking to mine.
  You'll never run the AC's with just inverted power. Gonna need many more batteries or back up power to do that in the heat of the summer.
 Those ecotemp tankless heaters are the cats ass !!! I put one in mine. LOVE it!
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 05:48:41 PM »
Trailer is looking COOL!!!! I see you're a man of like thinking to mine.
  You'll never run the AC's with just inverted power. Gonna need many more batteries or back up power to do that in the heat of the summer.
 Those ecotemp tankless heaters are the cats ass !!! I put one in mine. LOVE it!

Thanks!
Yea, I never did even try to add the A/C into this power equation, not very realistic usage at all without turning the trailer into one giant battery array! Tunes are much more important anyway  ;)

trans man

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2012, 06:43:12 PM »
DAMN your trailer looks SWEEEEEEET!!! ;D ;D ;D

Offline Enemy

• F*CK NA i lOvE BooST
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2012, 08:28:20 PM »
Thanks Trans!
Hows the puter running?  ;D

trans man

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2012, 05:59:21 PM »
Thanks Trans!
Hows the puter running?  ;D
So far so good ;D ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal