Author Topic: toy hauler shock absorber kits  (Read 11366 times)

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
Re: toy hauler shock absorber kits
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2012, 03:14:56 PM »
Don't forget to have the trailer wheels balanced.

It cracks me up that people need their car and truck tires balanced but do not think of this for the trailer that is towed the same speeds.

Just cause you are not riding in it and can not feel it shake does not mean they dont.

The balancing cost is well worth it for tire life alone.

Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2012, 04:15:35 PM »
All this trailer bouncing and KY talk has me thinking, WTH!!

You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2012, 04:25:30 PM »
Don't forget to have the trailer wheels balanced.

It cracks me up that people need their car and truck tires balanced but do not think of this for the trailer that is towed the same speeds.

Just cause you are not riding in it and can not feel it shake does not mean they dont.

The balancing cost is well worth it for tire life alone.
ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!!! When I buy tires for any of my trailers and tell the guys to balan ce them they always look at me like I'm crazy. BS,THEY are. LOL!!!!
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2012, 07:41:58 PM »
oh hell yes I get mine balanced!! those bearings aren't that great they install in the hubs.

fabbr my frame is I beam too. the specs on the c-channel frame are based on a 2" wide c-channel so my 3" wide I beam will actually have the shock 1/2" out farther than the c- channel style. that is the brackets I ordered and if I have to cut them down to hug the rail I will as a matter of fact I intend on making 2 additional brackets for each shock to try and get them into double shear even though it's probably not needed I would just feel better. now I had ross forget about the monroe shock absorber and went to an 18.6" ext length kyb heavy duty. the kyb's on my truck are the heavy duty tow. I had monroe's on there before and those were supposed to be heavy duty for towing but brand new felt like I was riding on leaf springs so I took them back and they replaced them with another set and same results. they did refund my money. I bought the made in japan ( instead of made in china monroe) for the kyb and what a difference!!  I could put my body weight into the monroe's and compress them about 3 -4" and the kyb's didn't budge 1/4" but man the truck doesn't fish tale when I hit the wash boards on the county rds anymore so that is why I chose them. stiffer shock, slower compression and rebound, figure it should help in the wind.
Don't never argue with an Idiot!
Because he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2012, 07:45:50 PM »
also something few seldom check is the axle nut tq. everyone checks wheel nut tq but after a few miles off new the tapered bearing on the spindles seat and then they are loose!! my last TH ( toy hauler ) I was checking the brakes and before I removed the wheel I pushed and pulled on the wheel while it was off the ground and it moved in and out about 1/8" to 3/16". I then looked up tq and re-tq'd to find that one cotter pin hole tighter put it right back on the money. but now like I said after they seat from new they really need to be re-tq'd but who ever checks that?! I know I do now cause with that much movement it's going to add to harder towing!

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2012, 07:51:09 PM »
the kit I will be using once they get here is RB512 Monroe Trailer Kit for my I beam. might need a spacer or cut down won't know till I get it in. one thing I did ask that there ad doesn't say is how much pre load which he didn't now and weather or not 2" - 3" needed to be added for taking a measurement off the axle while the weight of the camper is sitting on it. he figured 2" additional length would be good, agree cause a 6" stroke shock should be sufficient for this since I don't plan on jumping it.  rofl
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 07:54:55 PM by Dsrace »

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2012, 08:09:18 PM »
oh hell yes I get mine balanced!! those bearings aren't that great they install in the hubs.

fabbr my frame is I beam too. the specs on the c-channel frame are based on a 2" wide c-channel so my 3" wide I beam will actually have the shock 1/2" out farther than the c- channel style. that is the brackets I ordered and if I have to cut them down to hug the rail I will as a matter of fact I intend on making 2 additional brackets for each shock to try and get them into double shear even though it's probably not needed I would just feel better. now I had ross forget about the monroe shock absorber and went to an 18.6" ext length kyb heavy duty. the kyb's on my truck are the heavy duty tow. I had monroe's on there before and those were supposed to be heavy duty for towing but brand new felt like I was riding on leaf springs so I took them back and they replaced them with another set and same results. they did refund my money. I bought the made in japan ( instead of made in china monroe) for the kyb and what a difference!!  I could put my body weight into the monroe's and compress them about 3 -4" and the kyb's didn't budge 1/4" but man the truck doesn't fish tale when I hit the wash boards on the county rds anymore so that is why I chose them. stiffer shock, slower compression and rebound, figure it should help in the wind.
Post some pics as yu install the kit. Will ross post a pic of the leaf and torsion setups in general?
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

" You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2012, 08:10:04 PM »
also something few seldom check is the axle nut tq. everyone checks wheel nut tq but after a few miles off new the tapered bearing on the spindles seat and then they are loose!! my last TH ( toy hauler ) I was checking the brakes and before I removed the wheel I pushed and pulled on the wheel while it was off the ground and it moved in and out about 1/8" to 3/16". I then looked up tq and re-tq'd to find that one cotter pin hole tighter put it right back on the money. but now like I said after they seat from new they really need to be re-tq'd but who ever checks that?! I know I do now cause with that much movement it's going to add to harder towing!
+1!!!!
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline BDKW1

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2012, 10:50:14 PM »
Saw it but I have I beams.
Wouldn't the C channel kit work?

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2012, 05:49:08 AM »
Not without mods from what DS posted. Need more info. If I have to remake the brackets why buy a kit?
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2012, 07:25:21 AM »
Not without mods from what DS posted. Need more info. If I have to remake the brackets why buy a kit?

very true!!   

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2012, 07:29:36 AM »
Post some pics as yu install the kit. Will ross post a pic of the leaf and torsion setups in general?

ross is actually a tech for shock wharehouse and not for monroe. he was patient with me and didn't have answers for a lot of my questions but was willing to call the monroes tech's and get the answers and call back however on the brackets or kits monroe offers , the monroe tech's didn't even know these kits existed in there own wharehouse!!  that is why Ross bought out the last 9 kits they had on the shelf and is having them reproduced at a local shop. now he was very willing to learn as much as he could during my calls and does hope to continue to sell them. I told him he needs to simplify the intstrutions and have some better info on hand as well, he plans on it.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2012, 07:48:14 AM »
I'll wait till then .
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline dsrace

• VIP
  • my one true weakness
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2012, 08:04:18 AM »
I'll wait till then .
when i get mine in hand I will snap a few pics and post them up and as I install or modify then install them.  ;)  I thought as a base line and with the instrutions it might be a little easier but time will tell.

Offline sandycrack

« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2012, 08:22:51 AM »
I don't know if my hauler is just heavy or what, but I don't get much bouncing from it.  I am curious how you would mount the shock to the arm on a torsion type axle.
You smell that?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal