Author Topic: Is this even possible? something I need (sorta!)  (Read 3588 times)

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
Is this even possible? something I need (sorta!)
« on: May 06, 2011, 07:05:38 PM »
Getting a lot of my things outa mothballs (storage) and trying to get back on a real track of doing things thanx to my new job that I HOPE leads to the better jobs I am getting leads on! (Working really does make you more attractive to other employers!)

Anyways. I am working on my bender stand (again FINALLY!!!) and have hit a bit of a bump. I cannot tell (well actually I do not want to tell till I am ready to show it soon I HOPE!)  but I need a part....

I need (want) a piece of SQUARE tube that is 2x2 inches 1/8th wall bent in a large "U" shape with a 18 to 20 inch CLR of the bend.

Is that even possbile? Not real sure. I do not want it distorted.

Thanx if anyone has a means to bend this or knows where I can get something already bent perhaps???

« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 07:07:16 PM by Nutz4sand »
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
Re: Is this even possible? something I need (sorta!)
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 07:09:08 PM »
Why not cut out the 2 sides from 1/8" " plate and use 2" flat strap for the other 2 sides? Weld it up and you got your bent "tube".
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 07:35:06 PM »
Actually thought about doing something like that Faber but seeing if there might be an easier way first.

Heck I might just do it out of 2 inch round tube too. Be doable. I think it could be bent that tight. It's sorta load bearing but not a big load in fact its a light load.
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

nagel

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 08:03:55 PM »
Ive seen dies for square tube, just like for round tube..  The 20" CLR is the tough part though..  Thats a pretty large CLR.

Is it possible to do it on a ring roller?

Have you looked into local railing companies?  I've seen long smooth bends on ornamental railings as well as tight ones, all in square stock.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 08:28:19 PM by nagel »

Offline Boostinjdm

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 08:38:02 PM »
Why not cut out the 2 sides from 1/8" " plate and use 2" flat strap for the other 2 sides? Weld it up and you got your bent "tube".

That is the easy way.
This post has been edited due to content.

Offline Carlriddle

• Another build? What are you thinking?
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 05:19:49 AM »
That is the easy way.
And who does it the easy way?  That's close to muffler size and radius. Might try them course round stock only.
You can keep your CHANGE, I'd like to keep my DOLLAR.

Offline WelderPat

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 06:02:13 PM »
 You do realize that a 18 to 20 inch clr means that the U will be 36 to 40 inches wide.
There is always free cheese in a mouse trap.

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 02:53:53 PM »
You do realize that a 18 to 20 inch clr means that the U will be 36 to 40 inches wide.

Actually I was forgetting that! So I guess I would need a 9 to ten inch CLR. (DOH! Thanks Pat. My bad)

But I believe I might have figured a way around this part. I would still do it if I could find it or make it easy but half my stuff is still packed in storage so I only have limited tools right now in the garage I have to use.

Right now my bandsaw and welder and a tiny drill press are about it as the rest is cleaned oiled and sealed up so to speak.

Being the benderstand itself is tore all to pieces I was thinking I needed a larger "U" than I really do. But I found my pictures I had packed away and here are two that show what I am dealing with. The picture with the bender down is no biggie. But when its Up I need a way to get the tires off (if ever a need be). The lower tube is in the way. So I wish to make a loop up over the tire when its all the way down OR removeable frame section in the straight area. I just need to figure out if I make the farme have a removeable section a way to make it solid and not look bad (to me anyways!)

I may just cut tube at some angles and go over it that way. I have posted I "painted" the red tube on! In that I would remove the otuer tube altogether. Or I may make the hump over the tire AND the removeable lower section.     

LiveWire

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 03:39:10 PM »
Will 1.75" suffice. That is my largest die for round tube. Just guessing off the top of my head, I think it is around 7" CLR.

edit: 6.7" per http://www.ercolina-usa.com/superbender-capacities.htm , not a bad guess
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 03:41:51 PM by LiveWire »

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011, 04:26:32 PM »
Due to a change in plans which I will document later I used to have little wheels on it and the axle could be slid out but the little wheels could not deal with the weight. The larger tires required me to redo the "swing arm" the tires ride on and the rod the shocks connect to is now "captured" behind the bigger tires. To put it together NOW is a REAL mess of just right and lotsa extra hands needed! I would prefer a little easier assembly of a couple parts of it!

I am also looking at making it so the rod can be released from its hole upward with removeable bolts. But this has its own issues and it makes the rods mounting points weaker than I care to. This would be better as no chance of damaging the frame of the stand.

But I may just consider cutting square tube at the angles required to weld it into place around the top of the tire like my red lines show.

I appreciate the offer of the bent tube LiveWire.

Offline fabr

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2011, 04:33:16 PM »
Angles work for me.
"There can be no divided allegiance here.  Any man who says he is an American,
but something else also, isn't an American at all.  We have room for but one
flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is
the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a
loyalty to the American people."
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

-----------------------------------------------------------
 " You have all the right in the world to believe any damn thing you'd like, but you don't have the right to demand that I agree with your fantasy"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal