Author Topic: Stud help! Or a better idea?  (Read 10056 times)

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
Re: Stud help! Or a better idea?
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2010, 12:09:26 PM »
Nutz you ever fiqure it out?

In at least three different ways that I have not made my mind up on yet. (I am HORRIBLE on this thing as I change my mind with the wind on how I wish to do it. Its killing me. But I cannot help myself.) I have added a lot to it that makes me change it as my plans were not really drawn out on this and kinda just fudged in my head. But I will say that its gonna be better than I imagined it would be (at least I think so!  ;D

I am currently awaiting the hubs for the wheelchair motors that will hold my upper drive sprockets. They have an odd shaft size and keyway (17mm shaft bore with 6mm keyway) I could do the bore but the keyways would be a bear. So I found some wheel chair hubs of steel that I can machine the outside on for my sprockets.

The motor mounts themselves have been changed no less than 20 times as I had went to MUCH larger wheels for some reasons that I HOPE to document soon when I get back (finally) to the build thread on it. (New job is (slowly) helping with cash flow but not time...) Also I could just mount the motor mounts solid but am STILL playing with ways to make the stay level while the suspension cycles. Maybe I should ask for ideas on here.....

In the wheelchair they stay level and the lube goes where it needs be. I have seen robotics guys mount them everywhich way with no issues it seems. So maybe me worrying about them staying level is just an inner paranoia? Maybe I just want it to do it to look cool? Hell I dunno. 

As for the hubs and the studs this thread is really about I do have the spacer material that works perfect and need to buy the sprockets and do it up.

Still debating on if I wish to make them like Rick does with the countersunk taper head bolts/screws then just have studs for the tires.

Or if I wish to simply press out the stock hub studs and use the bolts I got for it that will go thru the rim/tire and then the hub and then the spacers and then finally the sprocket.

If I do this last way it will be eaiser to do and the whole deal will be bolted together then placed on the spindle in one piece/unit.

Ricks way would make it a little neater to take just the wheel off. But I hope I never have to do that. 

The motor mounts are holding me up as I have one spot I can mount them solid with the bigger tires. Then nearly hit the hydraulic pump while up and almost kiss the air shocks when down. Not much room for chain adjustment. Which will be minimal over time but I want to be able to adjust it.

My options are to mount them at an steeper angle and not worry about them or figure a way to make them not tip and stay level (or leveler)

Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

Offline Nutz4sand

• VIP
  • Wishin I was there. "Glamis"
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2010, 12:14:31 PM »
What about using ATV front hubs and making the sprockets bolt to the brake rotor mounts?

Hmmmmm.  Quite frankly had I thought of this I would have found some hubs that had a bolt pattern to match some tires that would support the weight and went with it.

I was looking all over tarnation for trailer brakes with discs for this (that were not a million dollars) but never once thought of ATV hubs.......

lol I wish I had gotton this idea from you or myself before.....  :D  But for now I will finsih it the way it is.

However another idea is on the way for another project and yours might get used on it.....! 
Your mission isn't to dive feet first into hell, but to make sure its crowded when you get there.

LiveWire

« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2010, 12:47:29 PM »
Drakart front hubs are based on a 4 on 4 trailer hub, but are aluminum with a rotor mount.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal